I am going to Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (in that order) in September. I had scheduled a travel clinic appointment to get various vaccinations and was surprised when the clinic told me I did not need a yellow fever vaccine. I also validated this on the CDC website (see that here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever.aspx ) . The clinic used a computer program that checks with the CDC and some other paid service to check what is required (I am in Wisconsin).
I did some research on my own and it looks like Zambia used to be a yellow fever endemic country but was taken off the World Health Organization's list of yellow fever countries in 2003. I've read different forums where it sounds like people still get the vaccination just to be sure they don't run into issues on their trip.
What do others think? Should I get the vaccine or is the travel clinic correct and I don't need this? Right now I am not planning on getting it based off of what the clinic told me and the CDC website says.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Trip Report : Mauritius and Rodrigues
- 2 First Trip to Africa, first safari...which itinerary should I go with?
- 3 South African Safari Company Recommendations
- 4 Help please! Trying to plan an African trip!
- 5 Help with Kenya Safari plans.
- 6 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, hidden gems not on the normal tourist path?
- 7 Hire a driver for a week in Morocco
- 8 Yom Hazikaron
- 9 Yom Haatzmaut
- 10 Morocco April Itinerary 10 days
- 11 May 10-July 10 in Africa
- 12 recomendation on African Safari company
- 13 Kenya Vs. tanzania
- 14 Comparing a few cities in Morocco
- 15 Tour with friendly planet to SA in October 2016
- 16 One extra day in Jordan
- 17 Burkina Faso travel tips route tourist attractions photo gallery
- 18 Where to stay for a night in Johannesburg?
- 19 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 20 April Budget Safari - Tanzania
- 21 Israel in Late October or November?
- 22 One month in Africa
- 23 Trip Report: Madagascar and Rwanda
- 24 Route planning and advice visiting Southern Africa by car.
- 25 Travel to Saudi Arabia