I am going to Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (in that order) in September. I had scheduled a travel clinic appointment to get various vaccinations and was surprised when the clinic told me I did not need a yellow fever vaccine. I also validated this on the CDC website (see that here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever.aspx ) . The clinic used a computer program that checks with the CDC and some other paid service to check what is required (I am in Wisconsin).
I did some research on my own and it looks like Zambia used to be a yellow fever endemic country but was taken off the World Health Organization's list of yellow fever countries in 2003. I've read different forums where it sounds like people still get the vaccination just to be sure they don't run into issues on their trip.
What do others think? Should I get the vaccine or is the travel clinic correct and I don't need this? Right now I am not planning on getting it based off of what the clinic told me and the CDC website says.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Morocco Trip End of April - itinerary help please!
- 2 First time Safari - any comments on Wild Wings/Taga Safari companies?
- 3 Mombasa recomendations please
- 4 March Trip to South Africa -- Need Quick Guidance Please!
- 5 Private tours in Morocco
- 6 Kings Pool vs. Duma Tau
- 7 Hotels for Victoria falls
- 8 First time to Africa-need help!
- 9 How do I know if a company is legit
- 10 Point and Shoot camera for a Kenyan Safari
- 11 South Africa trip report
- 12 Question about Yellow Fever certificate
- 13 The Heat and Dust of Kafue & the Busanga Plains
- 14 Has anyone used this company in Uganda
- 15 Jewish tour Casablanca
- 16 Kenyan Safari Spending Money
- 17 Ethiopian security
- 18 Duffel Bag Suggestions?
- 19 Eyes on Africa Safari Recommendations???
- 20 morocco
- 21 Morocco 10 days - plz review
- 22 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 23 Is an Iranian visa a problem when entering Israel?
- 24 Casablanca or Rabat for two night stay
- 25 A very belated TR - South of Namibia with Kgalagadi