I am going to Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (in that order) in September. I had scheduled a travel clinic appointment to get various vaccinations and was surprised when the clinic told me I did not need a yellow fever vaccine. I also validated this on the CDC website (see that here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever.aspx ) . The clinic used a computer program that checks with the CDC and some other paid service to check what is required (I am in Wisconsin).
I did some research on my own and it looks like Zambia used to be a yellow fever endemic country but was taken off the World Health Organization's list of yellow fever countries in 2003. I've read different forums where it sounds like people still get the vaccination just to be sure they don't run into issues on their trip.
What do others think? Should I get the vaccine or is the travel clinic correct and I don't need this? Right now I am not planning on getting it based off of what the clinic told me and the CDC website says.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 Electric plugs in Morocco
- 2 Update on sim cards and iphones in Morocco?
- 3 Kenya and Tanzaniz combined 13 days Safari
- 4 safari for the mobility impaired
- 5 Restaurants and other suggestions - Fez, Essaouira
- 6 Itinerary and logistics of Mid April Mrocco solo
- 7 Carpet cooperative in Fes or Chefchaouen
- 8 Recommendations for Houseboat in Chobe
- 9 South Africa planning next Feb/March
- 10 Must sees in Southern Africa
- 11 Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 12 Kruger National Park with 5 year old
- 13 Car Rental Casablanca Aptil
- 14 A couple of quick questions about Israel
- 15 A Little Trick for Converting Centigrade to Fahrenheit
- 16 Family Kenya Safari July 2017
- 17 Proposed Itinerary Israel & Jordan
- 18 Want to take your laptop on the plane?
- 19 Recommendation on where to stay in Durban?
- 20 13 Days Tanzania and Kenya Safari
- 21 Morocco: Do it yourself, or get a tour company?
- 22 Nine months to Egypt (but you should go now)
- 23 Buying merchandise
- 24 Kenya and Tanzania Tour Companies
- 25 Egypt January-February 2018