I am going to Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa (in that order) in September. I had scheduled a travel clinic appointment to get various vaccinations and was surprised when the clinic told me I did not need a yellow fever vaccine. I also validated this on the CDC website (see that here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/yellow-fever.aspx ) . The clinic used a computer program that checks with the CDC and some other paid service to check what is required (I am in Wisconsin).
I did some research on my own and it looks like Zambia used to be a yellow fever endemic country but was taken off the World Health Organization's list of yellow fever countries in 2003. I've read different forums where it sounds like people still get the vaccination just to be sure they don't run into issues on their trip.
What do others think? Should I get the vaccine or is the travel clinic correct and I don't need this? Right now I am not planning on getting it based off of what the clinic told me and the CDC website says.
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 First time safari advice and awkward question
- 2 South African Cities
- 3 Ethiopian Holidays You Should Not Miss
- 4 Help with Flight Option: CMN or RAK
- 5 Best Wineries - 2-3 days in Franschhoek and Stellenbosch
- 6 Tentative Itinerary - what do you think?
- 7 First Time Safari Help...Use a tour or not?
- 8 Help with bags
- 9 Royal Air Maroc Dreamliner JFK-CMN and maybe connect to RAK
- 10 4 DAYS IN MOROCCO- AGADIR OR ESSAOUIRA??
- 11 MOROCCO FOR 10 DAYS
- 12 Morocco 6 days Itinerary..Need Help
- 13 Egypt Quickie Trip
- 14 where to go in africa
- 15 Israeli Tour Guides
- 16 Shopping in Morocco
- 17 Need 2-3 others to join Serengeti safari January 9-15, 2017
- 18 Weekend trip to a Middle Eastern City
- 19 HELP! 20+ days in Africa - First time ever trip
- 20 Tanzanian Safari, trip report
- 21 Chimps, Gorillas and Camels- a Tale of Three Countries
- 22 car hire from La Possession
- 23 Yellow Fever, visiting Tanzania
- 24 Short 3 nights in Morocco
- 25 Multi part trip anyone want to join for part or all