This forum seems awesome, so I figured I would ask a basic question. We will be 4 adults + a 2-year-old (my husband and I, my parents and our toddler). We plan to visit East Africa between late Sep. and mid October 2012 for 12-14 days. Yes, I know it's a little late to be planning such a big trip, but for a bunch of reasons, we weren't sure we could go until now. Originally, we had decided on Kenya & Tanzania, but now I am quite conflicted based on stuff I've read:
All we want to do is see animals, no interest in beaches or waterfalls. My parents will hang out with my daughter when anything strenuous is involved, so my daughter's presence will not require us to have a tame vacation.
a) Stick to Kenya & Tanzania - approximately 6 days in both
b) Go just to Kenya? Since Sep is the peak for migration and we will see lots of animals
b) Do 2 countries. In addition to Kenya, do Rwanda (Virunga) or Botswana (or some other country), instead of Tanzania?
We are treating my parents to this once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I'd be grateful for any advice on which countries would give us the best experience, or just any tips in general.
First time in Africa - which countries to pick
Recent ActivityView all Africa & the Middle East activity »
- 1 2 days in Nairobi- hotel and guides!
- 2 Morrocco and Cash
- 3 Yet another Kruger private reserve budget lodge post + Blyde Canyon
- 4 South Africa trip advices
- 5 Rhino conservation in S Africa
- 6 Advice and Suggestions for Southern Africa - April or June / July?
- 7 Kenya - July 2014 - Acacia House in Masai Mara area
- 8 Has anyone used "toursbylocals.com"?
- 9 Camping in Erg Chebbi -- are there bathrooms???
- 10 Overland trip Iceland to South Africa
- 11 Don't go to Morrocco!
- 12 boutique hotel in tel aviv?
- 13 Terrorism, Ebola - no more please
- 14 First time in Africa on safari
- 15 South Africa Peer-to-Peer Vehicle Rentals
- 16 Saruni Samburu & Tortilis Amboseli - An amazing experience
- 17 Erg Chebbi, a Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience!
- 18 2 Weeks In Iran: So Far Away From The Clichés!
- 19 Cairo Hotels and Safety
- 20 15 days, 5 walks, 4 medinas, 3 gal of mint tea, 2 camel rides, one Morocco!
- 21 Namibia - Camping Tour
- 22 Dubai Airport: is it safe for a woman traveling alone?
- 23 Two weeks in Qatar, how much money to budget?
- 24 Transport Available from Harare to Victoria Falls - 17 Aug 2014
- 25 Tanzania Safari - The Good, The Bad, The Unexpected and The Amazing!!