Rampant piracy in the 17th century forced thousands of people to move inland from the coastal regions; thus, for many years the scenic village of Lefkes, built on a hillside in the protective mountains, was the island's capital. It remains the largest village in the interior and has maintained a peaceful island feeling, with narrow streets fragrant with jasmine and honeysuckle. These days, the old houses are being restored, and in summer the town is full of people. Farming is the major source of income, evidenced by the well-kept stone walls and olive groves. For one of the best walks on Paros, take the ancient Byzantine road from the main lower square to the lower villages.
Two 17th-century churches of interest are Ayia Varvara (St. Barbara) and Ayios Sotiris (Holy Savior). The big 1830 neo-Renaissance Ayia Triada (Holy Trinity) is the pride of the village.