Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Question for "iamq" & any other USVI vs Hawaii experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Having stumbled across the link to your fantastic photos of St. John and Kauai, I have to ask: Which do you prefer?

We are two outdoors loving thirty-somethings trying to make up our minds on a great honeymoon spot. We're planning to spend about a week wherever we ultimately choose. Hotel/lodging choices aside, how would you compare the islands themselves?

My impression is that St John would be more manageable as far as size goes, with perhaps a greater number of gorgeous and less-crowded beaches.
Kauai however seems to have more non-beach options: heli tours, the Waimea Canyon, hiking, waterfalls, etc. Do these outweigh the crowds?

Which of the two do you think has better snorkeling?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you have on these two fantastic places!
Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I prefer them both!

I think I mentioned in my trip report that comparing them is very hard because they are so different. I love them both and plan to visit them both again and again.

I love the Hawaiian culture and all things Hawaiian and did not get that same connection on St. John.

Both can be great for active vacations and both can be perfect if you want to be a beach slug.

While Kaua'i is larger than St. John, it is still a very small island that is fairly easy to get around on. There are some traffic hot spots, but nothing terrible.

St. John's beaches are gorgeous and the snorkeling is far better than anything I've seen on Kaua'i. Nihau comes close though. The beaches are white, the water is clear and warm and a beautiful blue.

My favorite beaches for sheer beauty are still in Hawaii though. Hamoa on Maui and Makua (Tunnels) Beach on Kaua'i are my favorite beaches anywhere.

If beaches and snorkeling are the top priority, I'd say that St. John is your place. I loved being able to float in the water for hours and not have to worry about getting cold or worry about ocean currents sweepng me out to sea.

Above the water though, Kaua'i is more diverse has more stunning and jaw-dropping beauty than St. John.

Hmmm...Where are you coming from? With a week, proximity would be an issue with me. We are closer to Hawaii and going to Hawaii for a week is fine because it is less than a 5 hour trip. We're actually going for a week this February.

No way would I travel from where I live in California to St. John for a week only. Too much travel time. We went for two weeks and that was ideal. But...you know...we are going to Rome for a week in April, so maybe I'm wrong about that...hmmm...

That's all I got right now. Let me now if there is anything else.

-Bill

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Bill!

You're absolutely right about considering geography - we live in Portland, OR, and would have a much easier time getting to Hawaii. I am orginally from the east coast however, and have been to the Carribean a few times, so I feel the pull of St. John a bit more than I might otherwise. In just comparing beach photos, I think the VI's take it hands down, but I understand from Hawaii lovers that I may need to see it to fully understand the beauty of the islands.

Ironically enough, we can hem and haw until we come to a decision as to which we prefer, but the ultimate decision is out of our hands - my inlaws-to-be were generous enough to offer us a week of their timeshare, so while we can request the resorts for which we would like to "trade", we are ultimately subject to which of those become "available". Our only choice for St. John is the Westin (I know people seem to prefer Caneel, but the Westin is quite fine for our needs, especially since it's technically free), and I've narrowed the Kauai options down to a top choice of Hanalei Bay Resort.

Thanks so much for your help - I'd forgotten how much I love this forum!

Any thoughts from all you other Fodorites out there?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Sweet deal!

Hanalei Bay Resort is on the north shore which is mo'bettah in the summer.
Beaches are calmer, water is warmer and it will only rain all night instead of day AND night!

-Bill
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM

mat,
I have been to Kaua'i (once) and St John (twice).I live on the East Coast so STJ is much closer for me.

Of the two,I think that Kaua'i is alot more beautiful.Kaua'i also offers more to do for activities.It's landscape is very diverse.

If I lived in Oregon...Kaua'i would be the place to go...hands down!

STJ is also beautiful and has calmer beaches with beautiful shades of blue.

Kaua'i has alot of waterfalls..which I love!

Good luck choosing...both are beautiful places!

Christie
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM

I forgot to mention that I thought that both places had good snorkeling.

Also STJ is smaller but Kaua'i roads are not as steep and hilly all over as STJ so you can explore all of Kaua'i if you choose.

We explored a different side of the island everyday...and based WHAT part we were going to each day based on the weather for that part of the island.You can always find a sunny part of Kaua'i (usually).

OK...all this talk is making me wanna go back to Kaua'i...but I do not have 2 weeks to spare from work right now!

anyways...have fun,whatever you choose.
Christie
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM

We live in MN and so are pretty much mid-way between the two. Our choice? We'll take two tickets to Kauai,please.
Snorkeling is going to be better on STJ, but Kauai takes it with everything else.
1.Being that you enjoy the outdoors, the Na Pali Explorers have a 48 foot rigid hull inflatable boat that you would enjoy.
2.There are so many places to hike, i.e. Secret Falls.
3.Wailua Falls. Dramatic 80-foot twin waterfalls. It was filmed in the opening sequence of the Fantasy Island television series. You can view it from the side of the road.
4.The lushness of Kauai cannot be compared to anywhere else.
5.Kauai is the one place that it should almost be mandatory that a person explores the island by helicopter. It is so beautiful!
6.Waimea Canyon is spectacular, especially when you go up Canyon Road.
What a deal to be able to get all these things on one island!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM

The water in the Caribbean is much warmer than the water in the Hawaiian Islands.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM

LvSun, that is a point, but not a very limiting one.

I live in SE, much nearer to STJ than Kauai. I've been to the USVI/BVI and to Oahu & Maui.

I am planning a trip to Kauai and BI this May. I have literally eaten every tidbit I can gather on these upcoming islands.

The way I see it, your best bet would be to go to Kauai. My reasoning is the tremendous $$ and time savings in the travel.

Both places are beautiful. If you've never been to Kauai, do so while you are somewhat near. Who knows, you may find yourself living much further away in later years.