Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caneel/Little Dix- Which One to Upgrade?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much debate, spending 4 nights at Caneel & 4 @ Little Dix Bay w/infant, really can only afford an upgrade at one of these. Booked Courtside room at Caneel & premium room at LDB. Would you recommend the opposite and splurging at Caneel for oceanview/beachfront room and standard room at LDB? With infant, beachfront would be @ Little Caneel Beach, is premium room at LDB really different than regular room.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM

At Little Dix, all the rooms are practically on or just back from one beach, so the less expensive rooms there would be a short stroll to beach.
Courtside rooms at Caneel are farther to walk or shuttle to a beach, so an upgrade at Caneel would seem to be the better bet---you'd be right on the beach. Best ones are Hawksnest (if they allow kids) and Caneel Beach.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM

If you do keep your Courtside room at Caneel request rm#143 (downstairs) or #148 (upstairs). They double in size, actually a suites with separate large living room and double patios. For some reason they combined two end rooms into one suite, but still fall into Courtside category. We stayed there few yrs back.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Snubes,

Thanks, did you like those Courtside rooms- was it a major pain to get to the beach. With an infant, the extra area would be key so appreciate the advice. Also, my wife likes the access to the pool even though pool area is nothing special. Thanks

Mark
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Cotes
it was nice to have extra room, living room had 2 loveseats and coffee table and room to move around, nice foyer with bar/fridge set up, extra closet, hallway to bathroom and bedroom. Bathroom was rather small and outdated though. There was a bus stop short walk away, but if you want to walk to the beach it was some distance, may be 5-7 min, slight down hill to and uphill back, but very pleasant with paved road and pretty flowers around. If you want to be close to the pool these units are very short stroll to, pool is infront of Tennis Garden rooms, which is the next blg. You can go there from your patio (if you are on 1st floor) across the lawn instead of going around blg.
But like I said before, we were there few yrs back, so I don't know if things had changed since. Glad to help.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Snubs is 100% correct in terms of room size but even without children folks who stayed in them complained when we met them in the dining areas or on the beach. Also, it is almost completly void of trees up there so it is hotter while you wait for transportation and sun beats down on the unit so a bit more difficult to keep room cool, I would imagine.
I would take 1 up from lowest rate room at LDB and it will be just fine then I would really splurge at Caneel and request Cottage #7 in rooms C,D, E or F but NOT A or B.

It is only on "a request" basis and is a huge room but simply furnished like all the other rooms on the property but the views and feeling of being in your own home on the Caribbean are worth, in my opinion, the $100/night more. Trust me. We have stayed at almost all locations but the tennis villas and Cottage #7 is our first choice, Hawks Nest is our second, Turtle Bay is 3rd. The cost of Scott over Hawks Nest is not worth it to us. but Cottage #7 is.
Of our 6 visits we found the food at Caneel only average, at best, on our last visit 2 years ago. You consistently hear the food is better at LDB even though the prices are high at both resorts.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Cotes,
also there is very detailed revew of Little Dix on www.scubamom.com, that might help you to decide.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

StanKase, Thanks. The only complication is we're traveling with an infant so the choice is Little Caneel Beach beachfront (625) or oceanview (550) versus tenniscourt(495)/garden(395). I'm actually inclined to get the beachfront room at Little Caneel at 625- do you think the oceanview at 550 behind is worth it. Unfortunately, other options can't happen.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM

cotes; Little Caneel is right at a small beach. It is easy to get to main dining room but if the alternate (they usually have only 2 of 3 open except in high season)dining room is Turtle Bay but you have some shade to wait for scooter to come.But the compromise is you have the beach but need to catch the scooter to the pool unless it is not too hot and humid.
But,I never saw rooms at Little Caneel. You could ask sq.ft of Ocean View compared to rooms at Little Caneel.Also ask when was Little Caneel completly refurbished last. If it is 2-3 years they will be in good shape.
Hope this helps.