Cinque Terre vs. Amalfi coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do not have enough time for both areas so we most choose. I was wondering which one people would recommend. Thanks for your advice.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:22 AM

Hi Peg - There's really no contest - the Amalfi Coast wins hands down

Have a look at Sea Urchin's lovely slideshow:

http://www.pbase.com/mightyone/positano

Steve
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM

Some more lovely views:

http://www.villa-la-madonnina.com/Ph...lle/index.html

http://www.amalfihome.com/member/hikes.html

http://www.giovis.com/sentdei.htm

http://www.villa-la-madonnina.com/

Steve
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the great informaion! The photos are awesome! I now am thinking the Amalfi Coast is our answer!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:04 PM

Here's a another thread on the same subject:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34946304
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:06 PM

Both are fabulous but we definitely preferred the Cinque Terre - we found it to be less touristy and we really enjoyed walking from village to village.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM

yes, no contest. Amalfi coast
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:12 PM

Hello Peg,
I agree with travel2live. We enjoyed the cinque terre so much that we stayed an extra night. It is so relaxing and the seafood is marvelous!!!!

The amalfi coast depending on when you are travelling can be very busy especially Capri and Sorrento
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM
nma

I have only been to CT, but I absolutely loved it!! I loved the hikes (even the hard parts) between the villages! So peaceful...
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:15 PM

Another vote for the Amalfi Coast. It's not even close for me.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:40 PM

oh, this is such a hard question to answer. I seriously love both places!!

I would have to say almafi just because there is more to see there. The island of capri is a beautiful day excursion when your staying in sorrento. You need to take a lovely boat trip to get there. WARNING - the blue grotto is a scam! I went and felt really ripped off.

There is positano, almalfi, sorrento, capri and the volcano ruins. More to see.

Although cinque terre is lovely, it's not meat and potatoes when it comes to sightseeing. It's a beautiful place to relax, lay on a beach or go for a hike.

Have Fun

www.nomadwannabe.com
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:32 PM

I have been to the Amalfi Coast twice and the Cinque Terre once. While the Amalfi Coast is no doubt beautiful, I preferred the Cinque Terre.

I think the hike from town to town did it for me....Spectacular. Although there were quite a few tourists, it seemed a little less geared towards tourism and somehow felt a little trapped in time. Amalfi caters to the rich and famous so for world class accommodations it wins that race hands down. In contrast we stayed in a little studio apartment in Vernazza and just loved feeling like a local...even though we of course stuck out like a sore thumb.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:35 PM

This is a hard one for me--Our family has been to the Cinque Terre 2x and we love it there. Our most recent visit to the C.T. was last summer when we also visited the Amalfi Coast for the first time. We spent 3 nights in Vernazza and really enjoyed our stay. The villages and scenery are breathtaking! We did a little hiking and spent lots of time just relaxing at the beach, which was wonderful. It was particularly lovely in the evening after all the daytrippers left. Our first visit to the C.T. was in 2002, and we did a daytrip--we vowed to return and spend more time and just relax.

We loved the Amalfi Coast also. As a previous poster stated, there is more to see and do on the A. Coast but it was crowded, particularly in Sorrento where we stayed 4 nights. (a bonus was being in Sorrento when Italy won the World Cup--Great fun!) We left our car parked at our hotel and took the bus to Positano and the boat back. Another day we took the hydrofoil to Capri. We did do the Blue Grotto and it is a rip off but we are glad we saw it. The boat ride around Capri to the entrance of the grotto is beautiful!

You can also day trip to Pompeii, which is fascinating, but very hot in the summer. We spent 3 or 3 1/2 hrs. here and saw the main ruins but you could spend many hours more. Bring a hat to Pompeii if going in the hot months.

We also enjoyed the hotel we stayed at in Sorrento--Hotel Settimo Cielo, 7th heaven,(located on Via Capo) which had a wonderful pool, room balconies and beautiful views of the Bay of Naples. We spent many late evenings just sitting on the balcony sipping wine and eating cheese.

Whatever you choose, you will have a good time. When are you going?

Buon Viaggio!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I too have been wondering about this...I will be going in October. Do you suspect the crowds will be gone from the Amalfi Coast?