Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples train station to Positano by boat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have gone from Naples to Positano the past two summers by hiring a driver. This June we are thinking we would like to go by boat, if possible. I know you have to get to either Salerno or Sorrento first, right? Can someone tell me how to go this? Cost? Feasibility? Is it easier to take the train/bus? Help?! Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

about...how to go about this? (Too lazy to preview, sorry!)
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:22 AM

From Salerno take the ferry (docks are 3 blks from the train station) to Positano.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
ira

Hi rb,

From Naples, take the ferry from Molo Beverello to Positano.

See www.italyheaven.co.uk/campania/ferries.html

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! If you can take a boat from Naples, that seems the way to go. Little nervous about getting to the dock, but we might try it. I didn't see a price for the trip. Does anyone know the cost? (Trying to weigh cost of this for 4 people vs. a driver.Thx)
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:51 AM
ira

Hi Rb,

A limo from Naples Centrale to Positano will be about 110E.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Hi Rb - The only direct ferry route is from Salerno ( € 6.50).
See natc's link
http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa

From Naples there is no ferry service to Positano (- you would have to change in Sorrento - or Capri). Not convenient ...

There is however a high-season hydrofoil service from Naples (- Molo Beverello). Only one direct service daily (dep. a.m. - journey time 70 mins. - approx €10).
http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm3_b.html

If travelling from Rome your best option IMO is via Salerno by ferry.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Does one change trains at Naples to go to Salerno, or is there a train from Rome to Salerno? Sorry for all the add on questions but your help is invaluable!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM

No need to change in Naples. There are direct trains from Rome to Salerno. For details see:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM

We've attempted to do this the last 2 Junes with limited success. The Metro del Mare theoretically runs between Naples & Positano at that time of year, but both times it hadn't actually started when we arrived & their staff in Naples were unable to tell us when it might start. The reason given both times was that their dock in Postano had been damaged by storms the preceding winter & needed repairing before the service could start. Last year it started the day we left - 17th June. I think it was €9 each including a bus at each end - which covered the bus to Naples airport. Bargain !

There were no other companies running a Naples-Positano service when we ere there and in general I think there are more limited options before July. natc's timetable is for 2006 from 9 July onwards.

If there are any services running when you go, Ira's link tells you how to get from the railway station to Molo Beverello. You are arriving by train, are you ? The airport express bus stops very close to Molo Beverello (its 2nd stop), you don't need to go to the station (its 1st stop) first (just in case that's what you were thinking).

The first time we got a car & driver both ways. Last time we got there via hydrofoil to Sorrento (there were about 3 a day I think), little bus up into central Sorrento & SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano.

The reason we wanted to arrive & leave by boat if possible is that on these 2 occasions we were actually staying outside Positano in a place only accessible by boat, so connecting with another boat made it much easier. Are your lodgings in Positano easy to reach from the dock ?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, our arrival by boat would require a schlep of luggage up the hill to Villa Rosa. I'm starting to think we may go with a driver again. Not sure. The train to Salerno and then boat sounds easiest, next to a driver. Thanks for your responses.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:31 AM

If you were to go that way, you can get a porter at the dock who will take your bags to the hotel via the secret tunnel I think it's €5 per bag.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I'm planning on taking this trip, too. I've tried check Trenitalia, and something keeps popping up (I think it says server not working or something)!

Well, I have a railpass, which entitles me to some free train and ferry services for the day (not sure which in Italy), how do I go about it then?

Maybe a train from Rome to Naples? Then like you said, ferry to Positano?

Or better, a train to Sorrento, then a bus to Pompeii?

I really can't decide which is better, it's killing me, if it was up to me I would have done both, but my time doesn't allow.

What about Amalfi? Is there any possibilities to squueze a few hours of it in my trip? I read it's got the most beautiful stretch of beach in the mediterranean.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Hi rbnwdln,
Were you the one who wanted to stay in the Villa Rosa Family Flat in June? I think I'm going to cancel, so I can let you know then hopefully you'll be able to grab it!!! I'm hoping I'm making the right decision, but we've decided we really do want a pool after all!!!