Venice;Locanda Orseolo,La Calcina,Hotel Ala

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Rome and Venice for May '06.I have read numerous good posts about Locanda Orseolo,La Calcina,Hotel Ala.I'm in a wheelchair ,but all I require is an elevator in the property.It would be vraiment superb,tutto bene if I could find a hotel that offered canal view with an elevator& possible attached balcony for 200 euro.Am I on crack or should I slap the money down for Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal and take it like a man.Are there other options?Help Please.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM

There was no elevator at La Calcina when I stayed there a year ago. I don't know about the others. Good luck!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Best of luck!! Unfortunately I have no good answer but I recommend posting this message again (topping it) in the morning as many more of the regular posters are online at that time of day. We have some folks who know a great deal about Venice so I am sure someone will be able to help you
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I don't remember there being an elevator at Orseolo...but I'm sure that they would respond quickly to an email request for additional information. Otherwise, I can chime back in on November 26 after I get back from Venice!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Just checked VeniceBy.com, and the FAQs state there is not an elevator at Orseolo. So sorry!

http://www.veniceby.com/orseolo/pages/faqs.htm
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, sorry, no elevator at Pensione La Calcina and lots of stairs.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Perhaps you could check with the tourist office. This site says it's "the official site of the tourist board of Venice".

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=407

Good luck!

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Hi vinrouge,
You might try Ca'Angeli. We stayed there last month and loved it. It's a small B&B (maybe 5 or 6 rooms), and has an elevator, and a great view of the Grand Canal from the sitting room.

http://www.caangeli.net

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:25 AM

vinrouge -

I don't mean to be rude but I wanted to clarify something. You said "I'm in a wheelchair, but all I require is an elevator in the property."

Are you able to manage the steps/bridges in the city? The city is definitely not 100% accessible. If needed, I'm sure others can give you more accessible routes and ideas on the water taxis.

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:19 AM

In April this year I took my children to Venice - and one of them was in a wheelchair following an accident.

You can get around in Venice up to a point, but bear in mind that every single bridge has steps on BOTH sides. Some bridges have lifts for wheelchairs - you can get the key from a booth at the airport - but it is a very slow process, and the lifts do not work if the atmosphere is humid. No problems at all getting on and off the vaporetti though, so that helps a great deal. We found Burano was good for a visit, and Murano is doable, but we found it easier to get back on the vaporetto to the other side than cross the bridge! We also did use the traghetti, my son getting out of the chair, hopping in, then me folding and carrying the chair on and off. People were very helpful too.

There are steps into almost every church and art gallery. My son was able to get out of his chair and hop around a bit, while the rest of us manoevred the chair up/down the steps. Once we saw a very elegant Venetian gentleman in a wheelchair with caterpillar tracks which climbed the steps!

We stayed in a first floor apartment just behind Piazza San Marco which I had booked before the injury occurred. Luckily it was an excellent location because we could get to the vaporetto stop at San Zaccaria with ease. My son hopped up and down the stairs from the hall to the apartment.

I have to say it was not a good trip to Venice because we were so limited in where we could go and what we could see. Heaving the chair over the bridges was hard work, and it meant we never proceeded past the Doges Palace down the Riva degli Schiavoni for example.

I found a website with advice for disabled visitors to Venice which was helpful, and there were links to maps which covered accessible routes.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ble_venice.htm

Good luck and have a good trip.

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:30 AM

I clicked the post reply button too soon - I was going to add that in April Venice was really quite crowded, and I would think it would be more so in May when the weather is better. Again this made getting around difficult.

I don't wan't to put you off going, because Venice is a beautiful city, but visiting Venice with mobility issues requires a lot more planning than booking a hotel with an elevator.

I have just clicked on your name and seen you posted a question about wheelchairs in Venice in August - I must have been away then. I realise you have to see Venice, so do go but be aware that you will face considerable difficulties.

But good luck - and if you have any more questions that I may be able to offer help on, then you know where to find me!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:03 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Ala and liked it very much. It has an elevator, larger than some of the tiny elevators in Europe hotels. Our rooms overlooked a small canal - I don't remember any balconies. I should mention that the room where breakfast is down a few stairs and might present a problem.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:09 AM

I just looked back at my notes and Palazzo Bembo has an elevator. But, Tripadvisor commenters say there are about 10 steps before one gets to the lift. It has canal view rooms.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all Fodorites who spent time pondering my question.I am fully aware that Venice might very well be one of the most stair laden,step choked and elevatorless places on earth.Hey (moldyhotelsaregross) You mean to tell me it's not 100% accesible ???I thought it was EuroDisney!! I may just crawl up the friggin steps.See ya there at high season,mi dispiace.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM

I've been looking around and elevators appear to be pretty scarce in Venice.

If the criteria you listed above doesn't work, would you consider a nice ground floor room near St. Marks where you could come and go more easily? Or perhaps someone knows one with rooms opening onto a nice garden area. I'm just thinking there might be more available that would fit that description.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Marcy,Thanks for the Ca'Angeli tip.I went to their website -looks charming.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Marcy,
Do you remember if you had to cross any bridges or steps going to and from the sylvestro vaporetto stop(nearest stop) and Ca'Angeli ?(following their route as seen on their website)
thanx,vin
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:54 PM

vinrouge-

Please let me remind you of my first words. <b>I don't mean to be rude ... </b>

Your response certainly was rude in response.
<i>
Hey (moldyhotelsaregross) ... I may just crawl up the friggin steps.
</i>

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM

vinrouge,
Sorry not to answer sooner- I was out of town over the weekend.

I don't remember any steps between the vaporetto stop and the B&amp;B, but I can't swear to it. (My husband also says he doesn't remember any)

I would try emailng Ca'Angeli and asking them. Their English is very good and I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions.

Wishing you a wonderful trip. Good luck!