How to get to Venice from Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Venice in May and have never been there before. We do not travel light and wanted to know what is the best way to get to the grand canal from the airport.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:32 AM

The best and easiest way (also most expensive) is a water taxi which are available right outside the airport. Given the current exchange rates, I would think it would cost around $100. AFter a long flight I have to admit that being on this private boat was a real treat.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:00 AM
JBX

Much less expensive than a private water taxi is taking the Alilaguna, which is part of the public ACTV service. Their website is http://www.alilaguna.it/. Takes about an hour to get to San Marco from the airport; cost is about 13 euros.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Cheaper public transport options
alilaguna.com (water bus 10e/person)takes 1 hour (vs about 20-35 mins for the water taxi which will take you to the door of your hotel if it's on a canal) Alilaguna is good for getting to S Marco end of Grand Canal. If you want the other end near the train station, there's a land bus that goes to P. Roma where the train station is. I suppsoed to be even cheaper & faster than the alilaguna. I think info is on actv.com

The other option is to take a land taxi to the train station & then a vaparetto (local water bus) or water atxi from there.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:42 AM

As pointed out by MFNYC, water taxi is the best and easiest way (and fastest)--and the most expensive. The rate is 80 or 85 euros to the main part of Venice.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Oh, that rate is for up to 6 persons going to the same place. So if you can get a group together, it's a great deal.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM

hmm Im thinking the private boat is the way to go as we will get in at 6pm.Is this a cash only deal? Are there other people ususally hanging around to group up? thank you
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reply.
I think we'll take the quickest route, since we're flying in from Rome, having started out at Newark the night before. I'll be so tired that I'd pay my weight in gold to get to the hotel faster!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:14 AM

You will NEED cash. The taxis don't take credit cards to my knowledge. You can pay for the alilaguna (as you're exiting the terminal) with a credit card I believe.

For people to share with, maybe at the line at the pier (you take a short free shuttle ride on a van between the terminal & the pier where both the alilaguna and the taxis depart).

IMO, if you're just going very near San Marco, the alilaguna is fine. The benefit to the private taxi is if your hotel is not near the alilaguna stop(s) (there are other stops including Zattere which is good for many places in Dorsoduro) or for people with tons of luggage-or arrivals/departures at odd hours.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Ah, but there is nothing like speeding across the lagoon in a shining power launch--the wake soaring behind you; the breeze in your hair. Watching Venezia spreading larger and larger before your eyes as you race along.

Be sure to stand in the boat and wear your sunglasses--as a fleeting image of the ordinary, ragged riff-raff slogging along with their cardboard suitcases in the alilaguna cattle boat passes across your mind.

Perhaps a white, silk scarf flowing in the wind. Ah, Marcello! Ah, Sophia!

But seriously, if you can afford it, the water taxi is the only way to enter Venice. My first visit to Venice was with my parents in 1960--a daytrip that was totally unsatisfactory, hurried, hot, crowded, a blur. But in 1996, as the water taxi sped towards La Serenissima, I thought that this visit would be very, very much different.

And when, all of a sudden, the driver cut the motor back and we glided into a feeder canal, the old buildings hovering about us, flower boxes overflowing with color, passing a campo with some children kicking a soccer ball and an elderly couple walking hand in hand with their grocery bags--then I no longer thought this visit would be diffent. I knew it would be so.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM
awbaker

You've helped me to make up my mind, Rufus!

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Rufus,
You're quite the writer! How beautifully you describe Venice. You make me want to be there right now -- and definitely arriving in the water taxi!