Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice in a weekend--where to stay and what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling to Venice for easter weekend and need recommendations as to where to stay on a budget. Also, what do you recommend I do? I've been to Venice before, but it's been awhile.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Try Hotel Galleria...they do have a website, but I dont have it handy right now.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Could you define your idea of budget? For some people it's $50/night...others $200. I also like Hotel Galleria (it was about 100E for a twin room with private bath). As far as what to do, what are your interests? Why are you planning to go...that should guide you to what you want to do. Grab a good guidebook and get some ideas about what you are interested in, then we can probably help with specific questions.

I don't know how crowded Venice is for Easter, but I would jump on finding a place to stay right away.

Anne
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

II rather not spend more than 100 euros per night. I'm traveling with a friend who has never been to Europe, so I want her to experience as much as she can while she's there. We are staying in Vienna for a week and I thought a quick trip to Venice would be nice. I've been to Italy twice, so I'm not pressed to see the sites, but rather just enjoy the scenery.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:36 PM

Easter weekend is one of the busiest weekends of the year in Venice. You'd better jump on the hotel situation NOW.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM

For hotels, I suggest you start with www.venere.com This site has the largest selection of hotels in Italy, and will allow you to search for availability by dates, so you don't waste time looking at places that are fully booked.

Once you've found something that's available and fits your budget, you can check Rants & Raves and text search here for feedback: "venice AND galleria," for example.

As Holly said, Easter is a very busy time, and it's only about a month away, so I'd be very surprised to hear that this hotel (or most of the other most popular choices) had rooms available for your dates.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:28 AM
ira

Hi jy,

These places have gotten good reviews here, and are within your budget (I think).

http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/venezia/

http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Hi
we stayed in Locondra Florita two years ago - there's the hotel itself and the charming annex with a side canel to the rear and a quiet square to the front. It would, I think, be within your budget. Was v convenient for walking to Piazza San Marco and also the Accademia on the other side of the Grand Canel. They have a website -I think you will get a link to it on the accommodation section of this site. Just walking around and travelling on the water buses is a cheap way of seeing the city.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Good ideas. I'm researching for my daughter for next summer.