Staying Outside of Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am a budget traveller and am trying to find a place to stay in Venice. I realize that this is extremely difficult to do and believe me, I've been doing my research. So I'm thinking its best if my bf and I find a place to stay outside of Venice. The major problem here is that our flight arrives around 11:30pm at night, so it would be difficult to get public transportation all the way over to Lido or other cheaper accommodations in that area. The hostels we checked out all seem to have early curfews or earlier check in times, so they wouldn't work out either.

So I'm looking into other options - such as Mestre, etc. We would need easy access to Venice (and hopefully not too expensive). Any advice?!

Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Hi Evalynn,
Traveling on a budget is subjective to whose budget you're using, so this hotel may or may not fit your needs. But given the fact that you'll be arriving late and are looking for something outside of Venice, the Hotel Albatros might be just what you're looking for. Larger than average rooms, private baths, air conditioning (I think), and the price is good. Plus, I recall that our group arrived late in the evening and had no problem getting checked in. The residential neighborhood features a well stocked grocery store and a wonderful restaruant/bar just across the street.

Additionally, there is a bus stop outside the hotel that can take you directly into Venice--well, as far as a bus can take you! The ride is less than 30 min.

Here's the info:

Albatros Hotel Venice
Viale d.Sturzo, 32
30171 Mestre Venice
Italy

I hope you enjoy Venice as much as I did. It is truly a magical city!

Travel well,
Melissa
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would find other ways to economize and spring for a hotel IN Venice for at least a night or two.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM
pg

We stayed outside Venice in March for 72E for a triple that I bought from laterooms.com. The hotel was Villa Dori and they have a free shutle from the train station. It is located in a residential neighborhood and the room was extremely spacious and the frontdesk very friendly. You can see a picture at: http://www.laterooms.com/en/M85435.html

Whatever you do, I suggest that you book at a place with flexible cancellation policy so that you have the option of scouting last min rates, and cancel is you find something better.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I think it would be best if you give us your budget. How much are you willing to pay?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I've thought about it a a bit more, and I would love to stay in Venice if possible. The max that my bf and I would hope to pay is 80 euros for a double room. I know that this is possible in some of the lower end budget hotels/hostels, so that's what we'll be looking into. Many of them are booked full already. Can't wait till I can go back one day with a less restrictive budget, but this is what I have to deal with right now! Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM

So you want to stay in Venice proper.

I wonder if you have tried the following 1 star hotels. Don't expect air-condition.

http://www.minervaenettuno.it/index-eng.htm

http://www.albergosansamuele.it/ing/html/albergo.htm
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Have you searched here:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=437
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM

If you're arriving at 11:30 at night to the airport, you'll have to be very careful about budget places, because most have limited reception hours (like up to 6 PM or 8 PM or 10 PM). The last thing you want is to arrive and find you're locked out!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Actually, evalynn, I think Mel's suggestion to stay in Mestre is excellent. I had friends who did that for their entire stay (they could well afford Venice, btw, but chose not to stay there for whatever reasons) and really loved it-they spent their days in Venice, and then back to Mestre, where there are lots of great and inexpensive restaurants, but more importantly to some, perhaps, Mestre is where the nightlife is-if you do decide to stay there, and as you are obviously a young couple, you will love the bar scene there-try Zen Cafe-it's one of those places on the "world's best bars" site. An excellent budget alternative to Venice-it's where the Venetians go for goods and services.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I stayed in Maestre, was on a tour at the time and can't remember the hotel. It was directly across the street from the train station. I am dying to get back to Venice and on my next trip will, come hell or high water, (aqua alta?) stay in Venice. Having said that, if it's cheaper for you to stay in Maestre,it's not the end of the world and transportation into Venice is easy. Being actually in the city is of course the "ideal" way to go, but if staying in Venice means you can't afford to go there, then Maestre will work just fine. Good luck.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses and insight. I am actually checking out one of the hotels that Kappa recommended - its less expensive then the hostels when you take two people into consideration. I'm waiting to hear from them on availability, but hopefully it will work out! Thanks again.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I hope that will work out for you. I tend to stay at 3 star hotels when I'm with my travel partner (assuring canal views)but when I'm alone, I go on a tighter budget and am happy with basic rooms matching the price. Last February (the lowest season a week after the Carnavale) in Venice, I stayed alone at 2 star Mercurio for EUR50 per night, small but not a tiny room equipped with every thing I would need and at a very central location near the theater Fenice. Now I want to visit Venice during the Whitsun weekend. Unfortunately but not surprisingly the same hotel cost double in May. Instead I have reserved Minerva e Netturo for EUR58.00. I would have stayed further in the center but I know the hotel's area and am happy with the price. To which hotel and for when are you enquiring ?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

I inquired at Minerva, but unfortunately it is booked full. I am inquiring at several other hotels right now, but most of the rates are higher than at Minerva. I am hoping something will work out - any other suggestions?! Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you read/posted over on Lonely Planet's BB called The Thorn Tree? I mention this because they are a mostly savvy very budget-minded bunch of travelers over there.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:04 AM

evalynn, Check out www.albergomarin.it When are you going?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Hello! Yep, I also have been looking at thorntree, though the responses here are a bit more thorough.

I checked out Albergo Marin earlier today and they do have availability, though are a bit higher than Minerva. Too bad the latter one is booked. We will be in Venice in early June, arriving on the 8th.

I'm sure that something will work out!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Looks like we will be staying at the Albergo Marin. Thank you all for your help in finding accommodations for our stay in Venice!