Reload this Page >

London: Courtauld Gallery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Degas

Here's another often overlooked little jewel of a place. You might even see a Degas sculpture inside. Check out the rest of Somerset House while you are there.

The Courtauld Gallery has one of the most important collections in Britain, including world famous Old Master, Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings, together with sculpture and applied art. The Courtauld Gallery is an integral part of the Courtauld Institute of Art, the oldest centre for the teaching of History of Art in England. It has over one hundred late 19th and 20th century works from private collections. The new displays include an outstanding group of Fauve paintings, including work by Matisse, Derain, Dufy and Vlaminck, as well as paintings and drawings by Kandinsky. The sculpture includes pieces by Degas, Maillol, Matisse, Laurens, Hepworth and Moore.

It's located within the North Block of Somerset House, situated at the Aldwych end of the Strand close to Waterloo Bridge. The entrance is located on the right beneath the triple-arched main gateway of Somerset House which leads off the Strand.

Open daily 1000 to 1700, free to all 1000 to 1400 on Monday.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you go to the Courtauld, walk to the river side (avoid the fountains) to the Hermitage Rooms at Somerset House.

There is an exhibition of Peter Paul Rubens Sep 10 to Feb 8.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:29 AM

It has always been one of my favorites. it is almost never crowded. Besides the wondeful collection, they do great special shows. A few years ago they had an exibition of old master drawings and with it there was a hands-on lab. You could use all the same implements used for different types of Drawing -- pastels, charcoal, feather pens, pencils, etc. and different papers -- to test your skill.

And since the conversion of Somerset House was completed it is and even better visit because of the Hermitage Collection, courtyard, cafe, and balcony overlooking the river.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Degas

janis, you are so right. I stumbled on this one by accident and had the whole place to myself for about thirty minutes. Then there was three of us!

jsmith, okay I'll bite. Why to you avoid the fountains?

Has anybody eaten inside? Do they have good river views? Too expensive?

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:18 AM

I love this place! I try to visit each time I go to London. the courtyard is great too - in the winter, you can ice skate. the summer brings the pretty fountains. very nice oasis in the middle of busy London.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I think he tells you to avoid the fountains because you never know when they are going to go off. sometimes they have them on small blast, sometimes full.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Degas

janis, do you live in London? You are a wealth of info.

flygirl, I bet the ice skating ring at Christmas is nice to see. And thanks for the tip about the tricky fountains.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Hi Degas

Forgot to mention - the fountains are recessed. If they are not on, and you were just surveying the courtyard, you might not even see them. but if you happen to walk through the 'mine field' and they turn them on - whoops.

makes for a good slalom course though. rollerblades, scooters, etc. ;-)
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:16 PM
SAB

I love the Courtauld--let's keep it a secret. It is so wonderful to be able to sit almost completely alone in a room of exquiste Impressionist and Post Impressionist paintings. One can imagine what it would be like to have such paintings hanging at home.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM

degas - I only wish I lived in London

I'm from California but I lived in the UK for 5 years a long time ago and try to get back there once or twice every year. It usually totals up to about six weeks in-country most years.

From your various threads it sounds like you are interested in some of the same types of things that fill out my London visits.