Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is yr favourite little restaurant in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:41 AM
win
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We'll be leaving for Paris on 24th...pretty excited at the moment. I would love to hear from those of you who have dined at restaurants (particularly the small ones) and would like me to share your culinary experience. We will be staying at Hotel Monge- Latin Quartier and this is our first trip to Paris.
Thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:57 AM

Favorites are in the 7th because that is where we stay. Le Florimond,19 av. Lamotte-Picquet (Metro Ecole Militaire)--chef/owner explains all his dishes, just wonderful.
Don't forget to "do" the market at Pl. MOnge--it's on Sunday and 2 other days. We love it.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:00 AM

The Auberge de la Reine Blanche, on the Ile St. Louis, is a tiny little place with good "homey" food and lots of charm. The walls are covered with miniature antique furniture.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:01 AM

win, check out procope it's in the area, i can't recall the exact address. my wife and i had a fantastic experience there.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:05 AM

I've also been a dévotée of Le Florimond since it opened its doors - I ate there the first week it opened and have been back many times.

Also La Fontaine de Mars on the rue St-Dominique in the 7me and the Vieux Bistro on Ile de a la Cité and le Caméleon near the jardins de Luxembourg...oh there are so many!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM

Win - I second thr Vieux Bistro. We had a great meal there last month. Go to the Mouffetard Market on Sun. to see the accordian player, singer AND THE DANCING! It is out of an oldtime French movie. I also rec. having lunch at the Mosque. Have a great time-how could you miss! CJ
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:38 AM
TC

Our favorites are:
In or near the Latin Quarter
Chantairelle (www.chantairelle.com)

Others:
Le P'tit Troquet 28, rue de L'Exposition in the 7th tel: 0147058039

L'Affriole 17, rue Malar in the 7th tel: 0144183133

Near Notre Dame:
Le Reminet 3 rue des Grands-Degres in the 5th tel: 0144070424

All quite small and inexpensive (by Paris standards) with divine food.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Le Clos des Gourmets
16, avenue Rapp
75007 Paris
Tel: 01.45.51.75.61

Very good food + very good and nice service + reasonable prices equalled an excellent time.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:10 AM

We enjoyed Le Restaurant in the 18th. Had a wonderful Valentine's dinner there this past year.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:30 AM

We loved L'Ardoise... It's in the general area of Place de la Madelaine.... small, reasonable, wonderful (featured in a Gourmet magazine review of restaurants of Paris).
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:58 AM

win,
I am going to paris in September and cannot decide between the Hotel Monge and Hotel Andrea. If you get a chance I would love an email from you on your return to let me know what you thought of the Hotel Monge.have fun and I hope you get a chance to try all the posters favouite restaurants
Lynne ( [email protected] )
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:11 AM

I often prefer to dine around my hotel in the evening, so I'll give you some good places near place Monge. All of these are around 25-30 euro per person including a cheaper wine.

Volcan, 10 rue Thouin -- typical French cuisine, probably around 25-30 euro per person with wine (which is usually about what I spend for dinner). This restaurant gives you more space and it is just a more pleasant dining experience than many of the others in the neighborhood where you are packed elbow to elbow.

Chez Lena et Mimile, 32 rue Tournefort -- also typical French, about 30 euro; one of the best meals I've had in that area; gets crowded and has a small dining room, so reserve or get lucky or don't go on most popular nights

Les Delices d'Aphrodite, 4 rue de Candolle (right near Censier metro); outstanding Greek cuisine if you get tired of French (they provide food to the gourmet sections of various dept. stores). I stopped by and reserved about 5 pm one night for 9 pm; they are very popular, though, so you probably can't get a table by just stopping by.

Marty, a popular/elegant brasserie on ave des Gobelins in-between rue Claude Bernard and bd Port Royal. Good for seafood, a little pricey but fun atmosphere and popular.

great little bistro; good steak -- Le Terroir, 11 bd Arago (near Gobelins metro). Here's a review by Patricia Wells I found
http://www.iht.com/IHT/DINE/pw021100.html

Another good small local neighborhood bistro near Gobelins:
Le Petit Maugery, 9 bd de Port Royal (small and popular)

There are many small restaurants on nearby rue du Pot de Fer (goes west from place Monge)--varities of cuisins. This is a good place to go if you are too tired to go elsewhere and don't want to reserve or change clothes (in general, dining is casual in this neighborhood, though -- you can wear anything to Volcan, Chez Lena et Mimile is a little "nicer" but you won't be turned out). This street has a lot of restaurants that specialize in southwestern cuisine. Some of these restaurants are decent (the Provencal one is good) and some are very very cheap--too cheap.

Again, if you are around Gobelins metro or don't want to look far or worry the larger brasserie Canon des Gobelins at the corner of ave des Gobelins and bd St-Marcel is not half bad, much to my surprise. They have good prices, a reasonably varied menu, great corner location for street/people-watching, space between tables and pleasant terrace.

You can dine very well in that neighborhood without going across town.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:13 AM

Before going to Paris i recommend gettimg the book, BISTROS OF PARIS by barbara Hamberger. It filled with all sorts of suggestions in every neighborhood.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:23 AM

I enthusiastically second TC's recommendation of Le Reminet. It's worth noting that it's open on Sundays, when many restaurants in Paris are closed.

I also like a restaurant called La Pomme, on Place Dauphine. (Place Dauphine is at the western end of the Ile de la Cite, at the opposite end from Notre Dame, so the location is very convenient for lunch before or after a visit to Sainte Chapelle). La Pomme is a cozy little place with a rustic farmhouse type of atmosphere. They serve classic French food at reasonable prices, with a fixed price menu at lunch that's a very good value. It's never been very crowded when I've been there, and I don't understand why. I can only guess that the lack of crowds at La Pomme is due to the fact that there are several better-known restaurants on Place Dauphine, but I've been very happy with the meals I've eaten there.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM

I stayed at the Hôtel Residence Monge two times in the past four years and I was quite happy with the hotel. It is very well located and two metro lines near by.

Two years ago I had a very nice lunch at the Auberge de la Reine Blanche on Ile St. Louis. I would recommend it.

My favorite Paris restaurant is:

La Table D'Aligre
11, Place D'Aligre
75012 Paris
tel: 01 43 07 84 88
Metro: Ledro Rollin

The restaurant is located a few blocks behind the Bastille Opera. I try to eat there at least once when I am in Paris. The price range for an excellent three course meal is about 23 Euro. The menu had changed every time I had been to the restaurant and the menu is very creative. A couple years ago this restaurant was noted in the Paris issue of Bon Appetite Magazine. The restaurant opens about 8 in the evening and I would recommend you have a reservation. The also serve lunch and it is also excellent.

Bon Voyage!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:32 PM

I second L'Ardoise. We had a delightful meal there. I also adore Astier in the 11th - you can't beat it for delicious amazingly inexpensive food (the cheese tray at the end is a sight!). Astier used to be filled with the French, but it has been written up (maybe in the NY Times) recently, so I expect there will be crowds of tourists. Go anyway!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:44 PM

I second La Precope -- in St. Germaine de Pres. Loved it!! It's got a great history, is reasonably priced and the food was quite good.

Bon Appetite!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:02 PM

Ristorante La Scuderia Del Mulino Just two doors up from the Moulin Rouge great Italian food and one of the best brick oven pizzas i have ever had and good prices. Most of the staff from the Moulin Rouge was in there when I was there. I also got great pictures at nigth of the outside of the Moulin Rouge If you take the #2 Metro to the Blanche station go up the steps and it is right in front of you .106 Bd de clichy 75018 Paris
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:27 PM

One that's closed.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 09:53 PM
win
Original Poster

Hi,

I cannot believe it. You people are so great....and I'll be faaaat with all these feeding. Lyban, I'll let u know what I think of Hotel Monge when I return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -