Ouray and Moab jeeping for the inexperienced driver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to Ouray and Moab starting 5/16 and I'm beginning to learn that the Ouray jeep tour companies may not be open until Memorial Day. None of us has experience in difficult jeep driving (but lots of regular driving experience). Are there drives in these two areas that would be worthwhile and not too challenging (or scary) if we rent a 4 wheel jeep? Some of the ones I read about I wouldn't even do with a driver (one wheel hangs in air while negotiating a corner--too much for me!!!). Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray was of particular interest. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Do yourself [and your loved ones] a BIG favor -- DO NOT rent a a 4x4 and go on any "offroads" adventure without experience. It is very difficult and can be very dangerous with no experience. There are rules of the road to follow, possibly snow and ice still remaining on trails, lots of areas [most] where the trail can only handle 1 vechicle at a time which necessitates on vechicle backing up to a only slightly wider spot to enable the car with the right of way to pass. {Car going uphill always has right of way -- it is less likely that the car going down hill will back off the road as it goes in reverse to find a small widening in road. IF the car going uphill tries to go in reverse to find wider spot, it can go right over the edge and it is a LONG FAST ride down.}

If it sounds like I am trying to scare you, I AM! This is not for inexperienced offroad, mountain driver. Deaths happen out here every year.

Go on an organized jeep tour [both places have them] and save your self possible serious complications.

If you want to do some scenic driving, do the Million Dollar Highway loop -- it is safe and beautiful. It goes Durango, Silverton, Ouray,Ridgway, Telluride, Delores, Cortez, past Mesa Verde and back to Durango. You can pick it up coming from Moab and heading into Cortez and go other way to.

Yankee Boy Basin may be partially drivable without to much issue. Keep in mind that mid May could still find snow, ice and if that's gone -- lots of MUD.

We have done this kind of driving for a few years now, and have had close calls due to the lack of experience of the other drivers out for a day ride.

This site may give you some insight:

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, DebitNM. I really wanted to get a jeep tour, but it looks like we'll be too early for that and I wondered if there were some roads that might not be considered "off-road" that we could handle on our own. We drove Schebly hill road near Sedona and I thought there might be some comparable roads near Ouray. We do plan on the million dollar highway drive.

Also, thanks for the website. I'll keep checking it.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

If as you said it is too early for jeep tour companies, there is a good reason i.e. bad road conditions. We went over Ophir Pass in July of 2006 and it had just opened! As it was, one stretch had 15 ft high walls of snow that they had plowed out to open it fully and it ran a good 100ft.

Have fun, but be safe.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM

RuthMc,
While in Moab, you can do a very easy and fun 4wd road just outside the entrance to Canyonlands Islands in the Sky. We talked to the rangers and they encouraged us to take it back to Moab. It hooks up with the Potash Rd. Check it out on this map: http://www.pbs.org/edens/canyonlands/tpmap.pdf
Long Canyon Rd is at the top right side of the map.
There are a couple of 4wd roads in and around Canyonlands Islands area that are easy to traverse and fun - we did them in our rental SUV with no problem. You just have to make sure there is no rain in the forecast.
Here are a few pics of our drive on Long Canyon Rd:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/35092909
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/35092912
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/35092913
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/35112760
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Ruth - we've driven off road in both areas, but my husband has off-road experience. I wouldn't do it without it - these are some serious roads.

Yankee Boy is fine in most areas, but there are one or two places where it is very narrow with steep drop offs. And, to be honest, the blooming wildflowers are really the best reason to drive this trail. I wouldn't do it without experience - if you come up to someone coming in the other direction - one of you might need to back up.

We also did Long Canyon - another road with very steep drop offs in a few places. We had one area where there was a large drop in the trail of about 1.5 feet. What worried my husband was not the drop, but the thin layer of sand on the trail. If you slip a bit, you either hit the "wall" on one side and damage your rental - or you fall off the side of the cliff.

We've also done Schnebly Hill - both Yankee Boy and Long Canyon are more challenging.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I also meant to ask what you meant by you have lots of regular driving experience? Driving in a city, on an interstate or even on rural roads is not anything like driving on these trails.

Here's another thing to think about [and more support for NOT doing this] -- most car rental contracts prohibit you from taking vehicle off road. If something should happen to vehicle [and it does -- scratches are the least, to the worst] you will be liable.

There are so many other things to do, please leave this off your list.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I have to disagree with DebitNM...don''t cross this off your list.

I don't know about the Colorado area but, in Moab you can rent a trail ready jeep and they'll send you out on plenty of safe trails to explore based on uour experience. It is big business there. Naturally caution is in order but thousands of folks do just what you want to and have lots of fun doing it.

Here's one of many sites as an example:

http://www.moab-utah.com/cliffhanger/

Google "Moab jeep rental" and there's lots more.

Go ahead...live a litte.

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Hi all,

I've driven off road in my Jeep a bit in both areas. There are 4 x4 roads and there 4x4 roads! Caution, caution, caution is the best advice. People die every year by getting themselves into something that they know nothing about.

I do know that there are graded dirt roads in Moab that would be safe for an inexperienced, but cautious, driver to do. I've done Shafer Trail, but not alone, with other vehicles for company.

If you rent a Jeep, make sure you ask which roads are appropriate for your experience level and that you know what to expect on the road. Make certain you have the necessary safety gear, food, water, clothing, hiking boots - in case you have to walk out! Make sure they know where you are going and when to expect your return (same as hiking).

Remember Aron Ralston.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll leave jeeping off our activities in Ouray but may add it in Moab. I'm not interested in driving roads where I might fall off the side so Yankee Boy is definitely off the list. We are taking a 4-wheel drive tour in Canyonlands which will drive us up Shafer Trail.

Sharondi, the pix are great but Karens report on Long Boy makes me a little hesitant.

I don't intend to take our rental car on any of the prohibited roads, but would only do them with a jeep or similar rented just for this purpose. I'm going to check out the site Peterboy recommended and once we're there see if there are non-scary roads that we could safely navigate. Believe me, none of my group wants to be faced with having to drive a tricky road. We're way too chicken! That's why I asked on this forum, knowing that I could get knowledgable and honest answers.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I called our rental car company (Budget) in advance of our last trip to Colorado when I knew we had plans to do a 4wd trails (one was outside Canon City (very easy) and Cinnamon Pass (Lake City to Silverton) and Yankee Boy).

I asked if it was a problem to take the car off-road and they said No. I called twice and got the same answer.

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:38 PM

We hadn't planned to do the Long Canyon Trail and it was our first off roading without a guided tour. We wanted to save time going back to moab from Dead Horse State Park and the ranger in the visitor center said we should after checking our own SUV. It was exhilarating and scary fun! Would we do it again? My guys would in a heartbeat. Not so sure about myself and teen DD.

For more details, read my report from that 3.5 week road trip in july '05 by clicking on my name and scroll down.

(Hi karens! )
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I've found a jeep tour company that is open and will take us to Yankee Boy, Ophir Pass and Last Dollar Road. Since Karens commented that the main reason to do Yankee Boy is the flowers, my question is whether they're likely to be blooming in mid-May or is it not until June? Any comments on Ophir Pass or Last Dollar Road? Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Last Dollar road is very nice, rough but not drop offs and there are some great views and amazing homes there. It is Telluride, it we are talking the same one.

I am surprised that Ophir will be open when you are going to be there. As I said, it didn't open til July 2 years ago.

Not sure about timing of flowers, mid May will still be cold up there so flowers may not be in bloom.

Going with a tour is a smart & safe choice Ruth.
Debi
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Hey, Ellen - nice to "see" you!

Ruth - it is my understanding that the wildflowers peak in July. (Crested Butte has a wildflower festival and that is in July every year). I would imagine that May is too early, but I could be wrong.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Debi & Karen. I think I'll call my innkeeper in Ouray and ask about doing Yankee Boy in Mid-May. She/he should have a good idea of what it's like since they live there.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM

Good idea Ruth to ask your innkeeper on the flower bloom.

Here in Utah, we have had FAR less (34%) of our normal snowfall, so our wildflower bloom may be way early this year.

Most of CO had more snow this year, so they may be normal, but the San Juans are off and on being the furthest south of the Rockies. They can have a great snow year or a bad snow year.

Have a wonderful time!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Interesting, Dayle, since I spoke with a raft/jeep tour operator in Moab who also told me that they had very little snow. I emailed the innkeeper but no answer yet. In another day, I'll call.