Which national park?

Search

Which national park?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which national park?

Are Bryce Canyon and Zion much nicer than Arches and Canyonlands? We are thinking of going to the latter because it's a closer drive for us (from Denver).

Sue
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I've been to all four national parks, twice each. Both combos are fantastic, I wouldn't say one or the other was "much" nicer than the other. Some prefer one combo, others prefer the other. You won't go wrong with either.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Me too - I've been to all, several times each, and they are all magnificent, but different enough that it's hard to judge what's better. Nevetheless, I'd vote for Arches/Canyonlands if I HAD to. You get the Grand Canyon look from Canyonlands, and the arches are so striking in their red landscape. It's just amazing these parks are literally right across the street from each other! I also love Moab, a funky, fun town. It's a pretty easy six hour drive from Denver, so maybe that should be the deciding factor if you have to pick one!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM

All are good, but I'd pick Arches - because of Delicate Arch. To me its iconic and it was a thrill to hike to it. You can't make a bad decision no matter which you combo you choose.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:28 AM

All these parks are totally different and all are very interesting.Paul
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM

I think I would go with Zion/Bryce, just b/c I think hiking the Narrows was one of the neatest hikes I've ever done.

But I agree you can't go wrong b/w your 2 choices!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:59 AM
cd

Can one enjoy Arches and Canyonlands if you, due to physical reasons, can walk on flat ground but have trouble hiking?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Yes, there are definitely accessible hikes in both Arches and Canyonlands, plus you can drive and see most of the parks from scenic overlooks. In Arches, the trail to Landscape Arch is relatively flat, and in Canyonlands, White Rim Trail is very easy. I believe there are more trails - just ask at the Ranger Stations.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:56 AM

sjde53,

How much time do you have to visit these parks? Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park like you said, would be closer so if you don't have much time, that might be the best for you. I LOVE them all, and like everyone has mentioned, they are all so different.

When coming into Moab, Utah get off of I-70 at Cisco, Utah and take Hwy 128 into Moab for a very scenic drive. Once you cross the bridge over the Colorado River, the canyon walls will get higher and higher and closer and closer.

There are other great scenic drives in the Moab area. Potash Road and Kane Creek Road where you can find petroglyphs on the canyon walls.

Utahtea
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Something else we've always talked about doing is renting a houseboat on Lake Powell. Is that scenery anything at all like any of these parks?

Sue
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM

Of Bryce, Zion and Arches, I'd say Lake Powell is more like Arches National Park with water.
You can find better pictures, but here are some of mine taken on Lake Powell: http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...oat%20trip.htm

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...lakepowell.htm

Utahtea