Nantucket Restaurants ??

Search

Nantucket Restaurants ??

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantucket Restaurants ??

Can someone recommend 2 or 3 good "not to miss" restaurants for dinner on Nantucket ? I head the "Pearl" was the best - any feedback on that one ? Thanks
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Hi! I was just about to post for Nantucket lunch suggestions.

Heading there for a day (ferry from Hyannis) with my DH, Mom, and her DH. Would love some suggestions on what to do as well ... with easy walking ... no real hiking. I grew up on the Cape and Mom still lives there but we haven't been to the Islands since I was a kid. Thanks ... and sorry to barge in on your post JerseySue!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:46 AM

TTT
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM

JerseySue,

Here's a list of places that we have tried - all are very good.

Cioppino's
Le languedoc
Oran Mor
Ship's Inn
The Woodbox
Jared's at Jared Coffin House - Breakfast
Topper's at the Wauwinet
Chanticleer - Siasconset

Topper's and Chanticleer are far out of town, expensive and maybe slightly over rated IMHO.

My favorite is the Ships Inn.

Enjoy!

JoeG
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:22 AM

mcqeeney,

We have always enjoyed renting bikes. There are miles and miles of really great bike trails. You can cover the whole island in a very short time.

Just walking around town is fun.There are several museums and historical sights.

I can spend an hour sitting by the docks watching the boats in the harbor sipping a cup of coffee.

JoeG
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Thanks Joe. Would you recommend any of those restaurants particularly for lunch? Oh - and do you know if they are all open yet? We are going this coming Saturday.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM

mcqueeney

Most of the restauants that I mentioned are dinner only. At this time it's really hit or miss if they are even open at all.

Try these websites:
www.nantucketchamber.org
www.nantucket.net

Most of the lunch spots are diners or bar/tavern type places or worse - tourist traps. Avoid any place within a block of the ferry dock. The closer to the boat - the worse the food. I'm certain that Jared's, which is the tavern at the Jared Coffin House, would be open for lunch. At least that place would have some atmosphere. Le Languedoc is sometimes open for lunch too.

Good luck,
JoeG
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Here's a thread from last year on this subject found by typing nantucket AND restaurants in the text search

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34426716

There are other threads & I seem to recall a discussion about Pearl as possibly being a bit too trendy for some people's taste but I could eb wrong. I haven't been in a number of years, but my favorite for atmosphere was the Beach House-not in town but in Sconset.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Our favorites are Oran Mor and 21 Federal for a great dinner. I have not been to Pearl so I can't help you there.
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Joe - We had terrific burgers at the Tap Room of the Jared Coffin House. Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Here's a huge tip. Those in the know make their lunch and dinner reservations WELL ahead of time. Otherwise, most places, especially the most popular, will be completely booked up all during your stay, if you wait until you arrive to reserve.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:44 AM

mcqeeney,

Glad to hear that you found a good spot for lunch. I love that whole neighborhood around the Jared Coffin House - it's like stepping back a couple of cenuries in time.

What else did you do?

JoeG
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Had dinner at the Pearl about 2 years ago,,, it was likely the best place to eat on Nantucket. Absolutely fantastic, make certain that you eat there. One of the best martini's ever,, also,,, great oyster shooter appetizer,, and be certain to get desert,,,, any of them.
Have a great time.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Joe - The regular bus/shuttles were not running yet and we didn't want to do a tour so we rented a car from Young's in the morning and drove around a bit, my Mom and her DH are photography buffs so we stopped at a few spots for pictures then headed back to town.

I'd have to say I wouldn't do it as a day trip again UNLESS I went with people up for biking around. The bike trails looked great. Driving a car around is not very scenic ... just not close enough to the water. I did really like the laid back feel of the town and we enjoyed the day, but with the cost of the ferry I think its a better weekend or longer trip for those who want to bike or spend time sitting on the beach rather than a day trip. Of course I grew up on the Cape and my Mom still lives there so that may be why the scenery didn't wow us. The town itself was nice to walk around ... shops overpriced (could not believe what they get for those baskets!) but historic buildings interesting. Had some good ice cream at a place near Young's bike shop.

Thanks again.