Zone Question for New Yorkers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very discouraged about using Priceline for a family of four trip this summer because of the risk of getting one bed. I think I can get a good rate for the Embassy Suites in the Financial district. Is this area difficult to get around to visit the museums, theatre and all of the other "must dos" in New York? Will the transportation costs out weigh the benefits of a lower rate? Would we take the subway or have to take taxis and are taxis expensive?
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
GoTravel

Manhattan is a risky place to try and fit four into a priceline room. Some hotels have teeny rooms.

I would bid on two rooms on priceline.

I don't understand why people think the Financial District/Downtown is an attraction wasteland. Granted, it isn't Times Square but thank goodness huh?

Subway is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get uptown from downtown.

There is a ton of stuff to do in lower Manhattan and the Financial District.

South Street Seaport, St. Pauls Chapel, Trinity Church, Wall Street, Century 21, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, take the Staten Island Ferry for a great view of The Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan, The Museum of American Financial History, Museum of Jewish Heritage, Museum of the American Indian, The Woolworth Building, City Hall and City Hall Park, South Street Seaport Museum, New York City Police Museum, and the Fraunces Tavern Museum to name a few things to do.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM

The only downside of being downtown in the Financial District is that it'll be a bit quiet on the weekend. There will be places to have breakfast on Saturday or Sunday, just not as many as midtown.

As indicated, there are plenty of sites downtown and most Manhattan subway lines will run within a few blocks. The good part about that is that the trains that run up the East Side and West Side converge downtown. That means it'll be just as easy to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art as it will be to get to the Museum of Natural History.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I appreciate your help. Our children are too young to be in a room by themselves and we hate to split up. We will be there during the week so it doesn't matter about quite weekends. I appreciate the list of things to do in the Financial district because I am very unfamiliar with New York.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 01:07 PM
GoTravel

Shon, any of the Affina Hotels (Affina.com) offer suites in Midtown. Also, Rhiga Royal and Salisbury.

I love downtown. Make sure you ride the ferry for the Statue of Liberty and walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Some of Manhattans best things are downtown!

Either way, good luck!

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I agree that subway is the fastest way to travel. Depending on where you're going you might also want to consider the bus (much better views than the subway for shorter trips!) but takes too long for longer trips. Also don't discount taking a cab if you're not right near a subway. Taxis in New York are quite inexpensive even after you add the 20% tip. And wiith 4 people, there are going to be a lot of taxi rides that cost little more than the subway ($8 per trip for all of you.)
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Here's another recommendation for learning to use the buses.

Though, if the four of you can ride in the back seat of a taxi, this will usually be more economical than riding the buses.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM

It may be hard to use PRICELINE for your family of 4 , but we HAVE always been able to get EMBASSY SUITES in the Financial area by using HOTWIRE though..even if you don't get 2 double beds, you will get a king and a pull out sofa bed..We LOVE this hotel..plus they have always given us a room overlooking the River!!! Its a bit out of the way, but once we got down there we loved the area and feel at home everytime we visit. We travel with a huge group so we love the free cook to order breakfast on a lazy Sun. and head over to sit in the park by the river. The taxi is about $10-12 to Grand Central..usually we just do the Subway..but there is a bus that stops in front too. Check Hotwire daily, as they don't always list it..Usually goes for $148 or lower...just keep checking. THough mid week could get tricky as we have had to check in late sometimes cuz the place was sold out from the night before..I just looked now and for the last wkend in Mar. its at $145..
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Rob

Type "ROB" in the search box and you will see a post " Visiting NYC - 102 things to see" and you will find a list of things to see organized by area.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM
mp

As a downtown parent I can tell you that staying at the Embassy Suites downtown has some great advantages - it is within a block (some rooms actually overlook it) of the best playground in the city! If you have young kids - the Hudson River Park/with the Rockefeller playground is wonderful - particularly in spring and summer - great climbing structures, sand and water areas, grassy lawns perfect for lounging. Swings, basketball courts, bike paths, there are bathrooms and a rec. center that lends games and balls and the Battery Park City association runs fishing programs (catch and release) in the Hudson, family dances, . concerts, drop in art classes . . . I could go on. . . there is a wonderful sculpture garden by Tom Otterness that kids adore - five blocks north there's a funny little place right on the river to play miniature golf while you gaze at the Woolworth building . . . It's a great neighborhood, lots to explore, easy walking distance to great restaurants in Tribeca - a lovely way to show your kids what living in the city can be like. Easy access to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, visit the south Street Seaport, walk the Brooklyn Bridge - show your kids where the city started!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Rob your list is great. I have not been to NY in 15 years and never with kids so the Mom's perspective is great. NY is such a fabulous city but wow, very overwhelming it helps to have it broken down. I am watching Hotwire since the ES seems to be identifiable.