Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Zion National Park Lodge Cabin or Motel Room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if one is a better experience than the other due to location,ambiance, etc?
We will be there in late August, so probably not using the fireplace in the cabin.
Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:24 AM

We like to stay in Springdale; it is just outside the park entrance. Springdale has many hotel options. We book a room at Desert Pearl Inn if it is available.

HTTY
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've been to Zion twice and both times stayed in a motel room. It's was fine.

Zion might be the only park where staying outside the park isn't too bad. Still I prefer inpark as you can park right where the lodge is and the shuttle stop is right next to you and close to the sights.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:52 AM

I believe the OP is asking if there is a significant difference between the cabins and motel rooms IN the park. Zion Lodge has both. I don't think the question is asking for a comparison between in park lodging vs. Springdale
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM

I don't think the question is asking for a comparison between in park lodging vs. Springdale.

Are you suggesting that I should refrain from sharing my experience in visiting Zion NP ten or more times and that we should never volunteer information beyond the scope of specific questions and statements?

HTTY
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Unlike the North Rim or Bryce Canyon, staying at the in-park lodge or motel in Zion doesn't afford much advantage in distance over staying in a Springdale motel. If you do stay outside the park, I recommend taking the shuttle from town into the park and avoiding a long back-up of vehicles at the entrance gate.

I have no opinion on a lodge room vs a cabin in the park.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM

We stayed in a second floor motel room that had a lovely view of the canyon walls. Not sure any of the cabins have that sort of view. The room was large, and comfortable and a bit long in the tooth, but we'd stay in the motel rooms again.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:01 PM

We stayed in the Cabin and would do so again, if we went back. Our cabin was like 100 yards from the rim and had a fireplace. You can walk out and see sunrise or sunset every night or every morning, even if your spouse or kid is asleep. You can't or probably wouldn't do that if you were in Springdale. I think that The Lodge is a much much better option and it is a bit of an effort to catch the shuttle, etc. You will spend some time traveling back and forth, waiting a shuttle stop etc. The food is pretty good at the Lodge too. I would have lunch under the big tree out front one afternoon too, plus a meal in the Dining Room. We did enjoy Whiptail Grill in Springdale and there was a deli where we got sandwiches for a hike too(blank on the name right now). We saw a lot of wildlife at the lodge, deer, turkeys, etc.

Here is a link to our photos. Angels Landing, The Narrows, our cabin room, etc.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsWje
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM

I haven't stayed at a cabin in the park lodge (I have the main hotel), however they are in the same area as the hotel rooms, so ambience, access to the main lodge building, the shuttles etc would be the same. About the only benefit I can see would be that you are in your own building as opposed to having to walk down the hallway you'll share with others to get to your room.

spirobulldog...are you confusing the cabin at Bryce? It is on the rim and a great place for sunrises. With Zion's lodge you are down in the canyon, not on the rim.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM

<Are you suggesting that I should refrain from sharing my experience in visiting Zion NP ten or more times and that we should never volunteer information beyond the scope of specific questions and statements?>

No, I simply noticed the first 2 replies were going off track and as often happens on Fodors, people start replying to the replies instead of to the original question. So I thought I would help out the OP by pointing out their question again. If that bothers you I am sorry, keep sharing your experiences.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM

LOL, O my- Bryce and Zion. and that was two different trips even-we didn't go to both on the same trip. Hey, at least my pictures were of the right place.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM

We've stayed in both motel and cabin at Zion. My husband prefers the cabin; I prefer the motel room. But really you won't regret either one. The cabins have a nice covered porch with chairs and an awesome view of the canyon walls. The motel rooms have either patio or balcony with great views as well. There isn't much difference in distance from the inning area either. If you want a king-sized bed you'.ll have to ask for a motel room though.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I guess we stayed in a motel room. I didn't even know they had cabins.

Anyway, for meet lodging is to store luggage, shower and sleep. Clean with private bathroom.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM

""Bryce and Zion. and that was two different trips even-we didn't go to both on the same trip. Hey, at least my pictures were of the right place.""

haha,,, ya and everything else you said about the lodge was right as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 05:25 AM
OO

The cabins look wonderful. If I could get one I would! Those porches look so inviting, but the cabins were not available when we made our reservation. We had rooms in the lodge, and ours didn't have a balcony, but were fine and its WONDERFUL being in the park at night, experiencing the moonlight off the walls of the canyon, then the quiet of early morning the next day. We stayed just outside the park our first trip, at Cliffrose Lodge, and that was fine, but being in the park is far better!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM

Here are more opinions on your topic: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Park_Utah.html

HTTY
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
When I booked, only the motel was available which I took, did not know if I should try for a cancellation. But it sounds like it will be just fine. Since it is in August, we probably would not use the fireplace anyway.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Reilly, I just booked Zion Lodge for early May and could only get a motel room as well.

I think it will be fine also.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM

If you want a cabin, just keep calling back and checking for cancellations. People always cancel but you'll have to check every day or more.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:17 AM

I just realized that the online information is not always accurate or up to date.

For the last few days I've only seen availability online for 2 of my 3 nights, so I booked for 2 nights and the 3rd night in Springdale.

Then I decided to call today to see if I could get on a wait list and the agent checked for me and said there was availability for the 3rd night. But just moments before I called the online system showed no availability.

Anyway, it's good to call and check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -