Zion National Park Guidebook

Mar 28th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Zion National Park Guidebook

Went to the local bookstore this morning iso a guidebook or two on Zion but came home empty handed. Hell'o Amazon. If you have a favorite guidebook for the area and / or if you have recommended reading, maps, etc., I would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance!
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Check out this one -
http://www.zionpark.org/
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM

WINNER 2011 APPL Award
Our Best Trip Planning Publication: Zion Adventure Guide
by Greer Chesher
Zion Adventure Guide: Exploring Zion National Park, has been three years in the making and is the first complete guide to the park available. The 160-page book, with nearly 200 photographs and 25 maps.

Written by awarding winning author and former Zion ranger Greer Chesher, the book is the ultimate “Everything you ever wanted to know about visiting Zion National Park,” publication. Springdale graphic artist Sandy Bell has designed the book with original maps, as well as charts, diagrams, illustrations, and some of the most outstanding photography of the park available.
This information-packed guide is the ideal trip planner for the first-time visitor and a valuable resource for return visitors to the park. It includes detailed maps, trail guides, things to see and do, reservation information, hiking and backpacking tips, a guide to the Zion Shuttle System, and the answer to just about every imaginable question a visitor might have. The trail information includes “explorer logs” filled with interpretive information on geology, plants, animals, and human history - connecting landscape with story to enhance the visitor’s experience in one of America’s most beloved national parks. Order here.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM

I can't imagine you'd need more than what you'll find at the nps.gov/zion web site.

There are a variety of web site if you do a search that will list and describe the more popular hiking trails.
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM

I can't imagine you'd need more than what you'll find at the nps.gov/zion web site.

There are a variety of web site if you do a search that will list and describe the more popular hiking trails.
Mar 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM

PS - the above link was recommended at the nps.gov/zion website.
Mar 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Zion Natural History Association

The Zion Natural History Association (ZNHA) partners with the National Park Service to enhance your experience in Zion. The park's bookstores offer a wealth of interpretive resources, while the Zion Canyon Field Institute and The Zion National Park Foundation are helping Zion National Park.
more...
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, both! Have read some very helpful posts on this forum including your trip report, Myer.

starrs, you da best! There's a sign in my area with your name on it...gonna stop for a picture one of these days.

The nps.org website is great, I have been purusing it, but I do like books to thumb through, make notes in. I want to learn what else is in the area, recommended day trips?, restaurant recs, that sort of thing. Zion and its environs.
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM

That would be great, AMC!

I'm a big fan of NP bookstores so wondered what they may have available. It sounds like the former ranger wrote the best (and only?) Zion guidebook - "the first complete guide to the park available"

Sounds like just what you were looking for. Hope it is.
Mar 30th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

I think so, too--Through the NP bookstore I went ahead and ordered it along with a shuttle guide. The book has great reviews. Thank you, again!
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Excellent book, Starrs, thank you so much! It has everything I was looking for and then some.

The Zion Canyon Shuttle Guide is great, too--for each shuttle stop it details the hike trails associated with that stop. Also, there's a shuttle map in the back of the guide.

We're staying at Zion Lodge. Do you know if we can drive there or will we need to park and take a shuttle? That I have not figured out yet. Of course, I can always call Xanterra.
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:57 AM

I don't know but hopefully UtahTea or Dayle will see this and can give you the answer.

Sounds like a great trip
Apr 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM

If you have a reservation at Zion lodge, you can drive there and park your car near your room/cabin. We were allowed to when we stayed there at least.
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:20 AM

As emalloy mentioned you can park at the lodge just outside the rooms.

If you have a reservation they will mail you a confirmation with a red card that you place inside the windshield. It will have you dates on it. With this pass you are permitted to drive up to the lodge and rooms and park there.
Apr 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!

Search this Thread