Search

Zion National Park

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion National Park

Is this a good place to hike with an 8 and 11 yr old? If so which hikes do you recommend for them. The narrows okay? How about the Angel loft one? Any others? Should you make reservations if you are going to camp there? Can you enter the park in a mini motorhome? We have 4 weeks. How long should we stay at Zion for a nice relaxing fun filled time?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Also, if you had 4 weeks- would you rather take a trip up to see Banff and Jasper over Zion and Bryce? Which one would be better for the kids, 8 & 11yrs?
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM

These questions should be posted on the US/Canada forums.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM

I can't imagine taking two young kids to Angel's Landing. It is a very strenuous hike and goes over some dangerous, narrow terrain. In The Narrows, the water might be too deep for younger kinds, so I'm not sure that's recommendable either.

There are a lot of easy trails in Zion and Bryce, though, that would be suitable for kids. Definitely re-post in the US forum and perhaps buy a guidebook. We have a guide to Zion/Bryce as do others.

Zion is an incredibly busy park, so you should certainly look into reservations. But I'm not sure of the policy there. Not all the parks allow reservations. There is a good campground outside the park for motorhomes, and it's on the shuttle bus route.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM

I live 20 minutes from Zion and take my young children there a ton. I WOULD NOT take two children those ages on the Angels landing trail without another adult!! At those ages you need a 1-1 ratio if at all. Dangerous hike, already had two deaths of adults there this year alone.

There are many better hikes for children. The emerald pools trails, weeping rock and riverside walk are all great hikes for kids.

Per the post above, Zion does not require or accept reservations for any of the hikes I mentioned. They only require them for back country hiking.

There is a great trail guide and guided tour for the iPhone and iPod touch of both Zion and Bryce if you have those devices. Go to www.geoquesttech.com