Search

Zion/Bryce/Page/Grand Canyon Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zion/Bryce/Page/Grand Canyon Trip Report

WHAT A FANTASTIC TRIP.
The two of us joined by 2 wonderful friends, were off on what we are now calling OUR MOST WONDERFUL ADVENTURE!!!!!!!

We flew from Detroit to Vegas rented a car and were off to Zion. We stayed at the Desert Pearl which was wonderful, the beds have feather mattresses and feather comforters and of course feather pillows.... We had a riverside room and the river was right out our door. The virgin river is RAGING right now, with the melting snow it is downright scary. Needless to say the Narrows is closed and impossible to even think about attempting unless you have a death wish. The Desert Pearl was a perfect place to stay, the location is great and the views from their pool are incredible. We ate at the Bit and Spur the first night which did not impress any of us at all. The second night we tried the Spotted Dog which was better. We did the Riverside Walk which was perfect for us considering our friend messed up his knee before we left for the trip, it was an easy 2 mile roundtrip hike which was beautiful!!!!! It takes you to the entrance of the narrows which as I said looks like it will be closed for some time due to the melting of the heavy snows. Springdale is a quaint little town, we loved Zion!!!!! Zion has shuttles that are very nice, allowing you to get on and off at your leisure and not worry about a someone who is driving missing the fabulous views!!!!! Our big adventure while at Zion was the 4 hour ATV trip we did out of Washington, Utah approx 40 min from Zion. Wilderness ATV tours is the company, and it was quite a trip, I being the ATV virgin was scared to death, but this ended up being the highlight of our trip, you are in the high desert and at 6000 feet elevations, on huge sand dunes, and then you ride along the cliff rims on your way back. Jim the owner was our guide and he was very patient with me considering I got stuck on the dunes 3 times and he had to come rescue me. It was a blast, and I highly reccommend it!!!!!

3rd day onto Bryce.... The drive through the park from Zion to Bryce is awesome!!!! We also stopped at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary which is quite a stop if you are an animal lover. Do a search on the net if you are interested... It is right on your way. Later in our trip we met people at the North Rim who had just adopted a dog from there.

Bryce.... We stayed at Ruby's which is very close to the park entrance, it is quite the place and owns most of the land around there. Lots of busses come in and out of Ruby's but truly that did not bother us, the accomodations are very basic, we had a 2 bedroom suite which was very basic, but suited our needs just fine. They have an indoor and an outdoor pool. No views from Ruby's like there were at the Desert Pearl.

We did the horseback ride from Ruby's which takes you through the Red Canyon which you will see driving into the area it is beautiful in it's own right and different from Bryce. We got to see an old hide out of Butch Cassidy's on our ride. The park service has restored a part of it, but most of it is original and in tact.

Bryce still had some snow, and although we were in tank tops and shorts, it was in the 80's, seeing the snow was very cool. The Hoodoo's will take your breath away, they are quite a spectacle. Do any of you remember Silly Sand as a kid? That is what they remind me of. The diversity of the 2 parks amazed me and the girls vs the guys argued about which was their favorite between the 2 parks, my girlfriend and I loved Zion and our husbands voted for Bryce. We ate at Ruby's the first night and it was quite good for the price, We had lunch at the Bryce Pines which is famous for their pies, it was good, and we had pizza the last night at Ruby's casual diner. Nothing fancy, but all good.

Day 5 onto the North Rim. WOW was all I could say at my first glimpse of the Grand Canyon. We had made our reservations months ago and because of all the snow the North Rim just opened the week before we got there WHEW!!!! Still lots of snow in the area, but not in the canyon itself. We stayed at the only place to stay the Grand Canyon Lodge, very rustic, stayed in a Motel Room (no TV's) but fit the feel of the area and was just fine. Ate at the Lodge for dinner (again the only place around other than the deli at the lodge) it was quite good. We were sitting in the Saloon having a few drinks to celebrate being at the Grand Canyon and a woman I was talking to earlier came in to say "you are missing the Condors get out here" boy does it pay to talk to people or what? Sure enough 5 of them were circling high above, and we were still not sure that was what we were looking at because they were so high, a ranger confirmed it for us. More Condor stories to come from the South Rim later..... We did the Bright Angel Point hike which is kind of scary, but well worth it!!!! It is also the point we watched the sunrise over the canyon the next morning!!! Well worth getting up for.

Next the drive from the North Rim to Page, Arizona for the 4 hour float trip on the Colorado River........... This drive is a highlight of our trip, it takes you though Navajo Reservation land which is untouched and you truly feel you can picture Cowboys and Indians traveling through this area, no signs of civilization at all, and I mean other than the road you are traveling on nothing else, no wires, nothing. It was incredible. We stopped at a little town for lunch I believe it was Marble Falls where you catch your first glimpse of the Colorado River, and we walk into the restaurant to a family of Indians having lunch and our waitress was Navajo as well. Talk about adding to the feel of what we were feeling earlier. It was wonderful!!!!!

We did not realize we would also get to see Lake Powell on this trip, so that in itself we condidered a BONUS!!! The Glen Canyon Dam where Lake Powell and the Colorado River meet is where you board your raft. The dam is the second largest second only to the Hoover dam..... Lake Powell is the 2nd largest man made river.... and beautiful in it's own right. Again it was a bonus to see and get pictures.

The rafting trip was great, I highly suggest doing it if you have time, but boy our entire trip was HOT, we had 104 temps in Zion, 80's in Bryce (which is as hot as it gets there we were told) and on the river that day it was over 100.... The half day trip on the river was an unforgettable experience, where your trip ends at Lee's Ferry is the start of the Grand Canyon at the Vermillion Cliffs which is where the Condors are released from. That became important for us to have seen considering the next day was our real Condor expereince... This was our long day, as right after the rafting trip, we were off to the South Rim and El Tovar!!!!!

Our arrival was a late one about 9:30 and El Tovar was a beautiful resort, I only wish we had more time there.... They knew of our late arrival and we arrived to our beds turned down with chocolates.

Next morning we go out to walk along the rim and Condors were flying in their grandeur at least 6 of them. We got wonderful pictures, and caught a ranger about to do a condor talk who gave us our own talk.... They are all numbered with transmitters on them. If you see a condor and can see the number the rangers can tell you the history of the bird from the number, when it was released, male or female etc. This was a thrill beyond thrills there are 52 birds in the park and only 254 in the world. They stared with 17 when they released them at the Vermillion Cliffs.

We left to return to Vegas for 2 nights which ended our trip.

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them. This board helped us immensly in planning our trip.

I think Utah is one of this country's best kept secrets, it has incredible diversity and immense beauty, and yet you do not hear much about it, at least not in the eastern states.

Old May 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

One other "bonus" I forgot to mention.... In our drive from the South Rim back to Vegas. We found ourselves having lunch on historic Route 66....... Got pictures next to a sign that said Scenic Historic Route 66............. Another little piece of history and one more unexpected BONUS!!!!!
Old May 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I must be tired and should have waited to post this review. The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is actually on your drive from Bryce to the North Rim.....
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the great trip report. We're leaving this Sat for almost the same itinerary as you did, albeit a bit longer.

Did you have a hard time locating supermarkets/wal-mart's/ etc where you were able to pick up water, snacks, etc??? I've heard there is a couple of Wal-Marts on the way between Vegas and Zion, but not sure of any other places we can look for supplies (other than National Park stores = $$$$$'s)...

Thanks for your great trip report!!!
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Hi Mzambo!

So glad to hear you had a great time! You were probably at Zion the same time I was. Yes, the river is pretty amazing right now! I've never seen it so high!

The condors were a great bonus for you! There are a couple that spend a little time in Zion, but they have yet to roost.

Next, put Moab, Arches, Canyonlands and Mesa Verde on your list. Plan at least a week and you'll have lots more WOWs.

Chris, there is a small market in Springdale. A larger, regular grocery store in La Verkin the "larger" town between St. George and Zion.

No markets near Bryce that I know of, but probably something small in Tropic.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM

mzambo,

Great Trip Report!

DVCChris

St. George will have all the stores you need. Take Bluff street exit north a little ways and you'll find an Albertsons Grocery and a K-Mart on the left.

Hurricane has stores as does La Verkin. Infact, there is a really nice store in La Verkin where Hwy 9 & Hwy 17 split. There is also gas stations there. You have to turn to go up to Zion on Hwy 9 because straight is Hwy 17. Springdale has a couple little markets. There is a little market at Ruby's. Stock up at Page, AZ because there is a big supermarket and a Wal Mart. Grand Canyon has a little market.

Utahtea

Old May 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Dayle,

That river is absolutely raging right now, it made it very difficult for us to picture the area you enter the Narrows low enough to EVER be able to get in.......

If anyone would like me to email pictures please send me an email and I will be happy to.

Utahtea, there is one in particular from our ATV trip I would love to send you. Our guide put us on this ledge took our picture then had us join him where he was standing our only response when we saw where we were was HOLY SH__!!!!!!

[email protected]

Stores as the others said were not a problem, we always found what we needed, however we were not camping. Ruby's had a bit of everything in Bryce.

Old May 30th, 2005, 07:42 PM

mzambo,

I sent you my email address. If for some reason you don't get it, there is a link to my email on my website:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/

Utahtea
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM

I'd love to see your pics of the raging Virgin River. I was there almost exactly a year ago and although I didn't plan to "hike the Narrows" it just kind of happened and it was such a memorable part of my trip.

My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM

mzambo

THANK YOU! Hubby and I have just read too much and have been bouncing back and forth on how to go and what all to do on this trip.

Guess what? We are going to do your trip, and use your itinerary as a guide.

I am so thankful I hopped on today and found this. Going to get on the Internet tonight and book some reservations.

Thank you for taking the time to help a novice western traveler...overthinker, and overreader!

~Karen
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Karen,

My pleasure, how did we all plan vacations before the internet????? I love this board, it has helped me plan many a trip, and I have made many friends as well.....................

I had Utahtea and Dayle to thank for helping me............

We all learn from each other...........

You are in for the trip of a lifetime!!!! ENJOY!!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM

MZambo,

Thank you for all the pictures, and all the help.

We have basically decided to do the same trip as you have, and your help was invaluable to us. Thank goodness for the Fodors site, and for good people like you.

Itinerary for us.

Day 1 - fly into Vegas, stay at Treasure Island and see Mystere that evening.

Day 2 - Drive to Zion National Park. We are staying at the Bumbleberry Inn. We'll do some walking and just enjoy the day.

Day 3 - We will do the 4.5 Wilderness ATV tour as well and finish off our day with another nice trail walk.

Day 4 - We will travel to Bryce, stay at Ruby's. Explore and enjoy a few trail walks.

Day 5 - Horseback trip to the red canyon.

Day 6 - North Rim of the Grand Canyon [staying in the Western Cabins, I've not read really positive reviews of them, but it is all they had left, so I am thinking of it as more of an adventure!]

Day 7 - Float trip in Paige
and then on to the South Rim.

Day 8 - South Rim

Day 9 - Trip back to Vegas...Penn and Teller that evening.

Day 10 - another Cirque show "O" at the Bellagio.

One thing I was unaware of, and may want to mention for anyone else reading here is that this trip will almost be totally PREPAID. Every reservation [with the exception of Bumbleberry Inn] took a total or half payment of funds for our stay. Every activity took total or partial payment.

Remember M...that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Can't wait, it'll be here before you know it!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Hi,

We just returned two weeks ago from a very similar trip. We stayed at the Western Cabins at the North Rim and loved them. They were clean and close to the action. Having stayed in a "Western Cabin" in Zion, the North Rim ones were much nicer.

We say Mystere and enjoyed it. Having seen La Nouba in the past, I thought Mystere was shorter and maybe a bit less on some acts, but still amazing. "O" looks interesting!

As far as the reservations, we had to pre-pay the first night (stayed in each park lodge - not outside) and final payment was due upon check-out. I guess if you were to only stay one night in an accomoodation, then you do, in-effect, pre-pay.

I think you have a great itinerary and will have a great time. It is a beautiful area!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM

This is actually Mzambo from work, that is why the different screen name.

I cannot believe so many places requested pmts up front, we ran into that with The North and South Rim, and Vegas, but not Ruby's or the Desert Pearl..... and.... none of our activities required deposits....

I absolutely consider imitation a GREAT form of flattery!!!!!

The rustic nature of the North Rim Lodge is what makes the North Rim experience different from the South Rim, we were in the Motel Rooms, and let me tell you they were rustic too, not even TV's but it added to the feel of the place, and to the overall adventure..............

I'm so so glad you added the day at the South Rim, that was a big mistake on our part, we needed one more day there. You have not said where you ended up finding a room at the South Rim though.

As I told you in e-mails, I expect a full trip report from you when you return...........

If you think of anything else between now and Sept, you have my e-mail address.

Marie
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM

DVCChris,

We saw La Nouba too and loved it. We just saw another production near Detroit this past year. Thanks for the heads up on the show. We just found out that two young friends of ours will meet us our last two days of the trip. That should be fun. I also look forward to "O".

Thank you too for the 'word' on the Western Cabins. Makes me feel a bit better.

Marie,

We have had to prepay for all of the state park lodging, but not for the Bumbleberry Inn or Ruby's. We have had to pay for our hotel and show in Vegas the first night [Mystere and Treasure Island package], the first night of our second Vegas stay, as well as the show ["O"]...

We had to prepay for half of the ATV trip, and all of the raft trip. So pretty much, we have ended up pre paying for most everything.

We had to pay for both nights at the south rim. They could not accomodate us two nights in the same place, so one night in Angel Bright Lodge, and one night at the Thunderbird. Since it is two different places, across the drive from each other...we had to prepay for both!

You didn't have to prepay for the raft trip? or the ATV trip? They took half up front on the ATV trip, and all for the rafting!

We hope to slide in a stop at the Antelope Slots...and well, it's coming up soon.

We got airfare through Frontier Air. I had never heard of them before, but the price was very good, and there are very short layovers in Denver [half hour!]

I will absolutley post a trip report and try to get lots of photos to link to a photo site.

Thank you all again.

Karen
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

No Karen, we did not have to prepay the Raft or ATV trips, must be something new with them.........

We did have to prepay the Grand Canyon lodging and Vegas one night.

One way to look at it.... It is paid for.........................