Zion/Bryce/March/Horse or mule rides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are tentatively planning a one week (7 or 8 day) trip to Zion and Bryce in March of 04. I have gathered that the weather might be iffy in Bryce at that time. Would the mule/horse trips still be going on at that time? On the same subject - how scary are these trips? We have been told that the Grand Canyon mule trips are tough for people with height problems. Are these similar?
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Jed

My wife and I have done all 3, even though we are very scared of heights. The GC mule ride was very very scary, but it was the most exciting trip of our lives. As you can imagine, it is you, the mule, a six foot ledge, and 3000 ft straight down. But no one has ever died from a fall off the mule in 75 years. So if you can hack it, go for it.

As I remember, Zion was a mild ride. Bryce had some height problems, but also a good experience.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:58 AM
cd

We did Zion a few years ago and it was very mild but we loved it!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Syv

We did the mule/horseback ride down into Bryce & loved it. The guide "purposely" has the mules go close to the edge at some points just to freak you out.. but it is not the type of ride that feels dangerous or scary. The cliffs aren't anywhere as steep or deep as Grand Canyon.

A beautiful, beautiful ride. I would just call the place about reservations & ask them directly if they do the rides in March.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Hi Sue,

Bryce is at 8,000 ft. and since we are in March right now, I can tell you that they have just had over 40 inches of snow in the last 3 weeks. Also, hiking down into Bryce isn't encouraged during the winter due to icy trails. Can however, enjoy some nice cross country skiing! Call Ruby's Inn, they have the riding concession & are open year-round.

The mule/horseback rides don't start until Memorial Day. If you are coming from Austrialia (?), that's the end of May.

I think they might have riding in Zion during the winter, but it's very tame. I would spend my time hiking instead. It's alot more scenic that the ride.

Have fun!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:06 AM

We are planning to in Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon the first week of May. Are there no horseback rides at Bryce this early? What about the other two?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:04 AM

anyone?
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Zootsi-
The last time I went to Bryce was in early May (a few years ago). There was 6' of snow in the park, at the temperature was in the 20s. The hiking trails were all closed due to the snow/ice. No horseback rides. Immediately after Bryce we went to Zion, which was 85 degrees and beautiful.