Bryce - Zion horseback ride?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:39 AM
zootsi

Bryce - Zion horseback ride?

We are planning an overnight at Bryce, and two nights at Zion in early May. I understand they both offer 1/2 day horseback rides. Of the two which one might be a more interesting ride? Also, do these rides need to be arranged well ahead of time, or can we just walk up to the desk and set something up?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Syv

We did the 1/2 day horseback(mule) ride down into Bryce. It was VERY good. Well worth it. We reserved in advance.

Don't know about Zion. Zion is a wonderful NP - very beautiful.

Sylvia

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Tricia

hi zootsi,
While staying at Ruby's Inn @Bryce, my family did a morning horseback ride into Red Canyon. It was spectacular!! I got the best pictures of my entire 2 week vacation from the back of a horse! We had made reservations through Ruby's in advance.
Whatever you choose, Bryce & Zion & area is just incredible! Tricia

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:50 AM
zootsi

topping

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you be comfortable doing a horseback ride with a 7 and 9 year old?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Syv

I am assuming this is a new question? - not a reply back to zootsi.

Re: 7 & 9 yr olds --- as a parent I guess you would know how "controlled" they would be. At Bryce, the guide PURPOSELY has the mules walk straight out cliff edges and stop (where they should instead be doing a 90 degree turn). Quite freaky! Several ladies on our trip were very nervous about this. Really gives you an uneasy feeling --- but adds to the fun & interest of the ride! Your own view from horseback thinks you are "over" the cliff edge, but thankfully the horse's feet are still on the very very edge.

Would your kids be up to this?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM

I've done the horse trip (some are actually mules if you can tell the difference) at Bryce twice. It is remarkable. The kids will feel like they are in a western movie (you will too). You actually see a lot more than hiking the same areas of canyon.
There were several kids about that age on our last trip. I think the edge of the canyon thing freaked them a lot less than many of the adults.
I saw the route in Zion that the horses do, and frankly I would not even begin to compare it to the ride at Bryce!

Generally you can set them up a day ahead, but sometimes they will be filled, so I'd suggest you call about a week ahead and book just to be sure.