Search

zion and bryce

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:11 AM
toldham

zion and bryce

just back from zion and bryce canyon--pretty amazing places, particularly this time of year

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:48 PM
ken

We leave for that area Sat. morn. 10/27, by flight to Vegas and drive up.

Would appreciate any tips you care to share. We like water sports (when it's warmer), historical & cultural opportunities, rock hounding and day hikes with moderate climbing.

Also like to dine out at a nice spot once or twice during a trip.

You can reply to my email or on this board.

Thanks

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:27 PM
OliveOyl

Hope you'll post your responses here. We will be there over Thanksgiving and I'm in my information gathering mode.

Dining has usually been the low point of our outdoor adventures and in truth, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we find it to be otherwise at Zion or Bryce.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:35 AM
toldham

Dining at zion at the lodge wasn't bad at all--and there generally was a ranger talk at the lodge right after dinner--at bryce i stayed out of the park at the entrance--there are some places that aren't too good to eat---maybe the lodge is better? hiking in both parks was fabulous--there is is a hike at bryce called "wall street" that's pretty steep but amazing--and then that extends to navajo loop---at bryce you are looking down into the canyon and hiking down, while at zion you start in the canyon and hike in the canyon or up--zion had a nice level hike along the river at the last shuttle stop on the north scenic loop--the trail stops at a place called the "narrows", which is a river in a very narrow part of the canyon which requires you to wade in the (now pretty cold) water..zion also has many challenging hikes, such as angel's landing, for the adventurous. The sky at bryce at night was amazing--i keep forgeting how the sky looks without light pollution. As you may know, zion is about 4000 feet and bryce about 8000, so bryce gets much more snow.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:56 AM
RB

If you're planning to dine at either Zion or Bryce Lodges, make your reservations in advance- before you go. Even though the main crush of tourists has passed through, dining opportunities are limited (more so at Bryce than Zion) so it helps to tie down an early dining time (which we usually want because we've been hiking all day). At Zion, nearby Springdale offers some good possibilities- Zion Pasta and Noodle for pizza and brew is a favorite for us. We've not dined at Flanagan's, but understand it is good. The Pioneer Restaurant is standard mom&pop fare. When we went in the Bumbleberry in May 2001, tables were dirty and we sat 15 minutes with no help availed to us- we left! So much for finding out about bumbleberry pie. At Bryce, dining options are much more limited- we found the best bet for basic family fare was at the Bryce Pines. Nothing fancy, just good food. Never ate at Ruby's due to large numbers of buses, etc. thronged around the building. The scenery is definitely the main attraction, particularly at Bryce. Plan a gustatory experience for another time; it's all about the sights at these two spots. Hope this is helpful.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:48 AM
OliveOyl

Thank you, RB, it was helpful. The lodge at Bryce closes on Oct 31, restricting choices even further. I'm hoping the bus mob will be gone from Ruby's by late November. That's where we are staying, but it's only a place to lay our heads. I'm going to try for Thanksgiving dinner reservations at either the lodge in Zion, which is still open, or Flanagans, which others have spoken highly of.

The Angel's Landing hike had been described in another post Toldham, and I've ruled that out. My stomach had an out-of-body experience just reading about it. Combine the razor edge with possible icy conditions? Nope, not my idea of fun. Is the "narrows" that section where the tree shoots up through the slot--have seen pictures and it looks beautiful. Any way around the water?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:57 AM
toldham

no way around the water after the trail ends on the river hike at the narrows in zion---that's why it's more popular in the summer--altho i did see some guys last week hiking with rubber shoes and a wet suit--don't know how muddy the trails will be in nov. but probably will be pretty muddy---there also were guys climbing the canyon walls at zion last week--quite impressive and difficult, i understand

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:03 PM
judith

zion is spectacular. i stayed 4 nights instead of two last month cause i couldn't tear myself away. stayed at flanigan's and also ate there. WONDERFUL. not many tourists because all the fall groups had cancelled. two fun rock shops. i am not a hiker, but i went on the river walk.

have to tell you about bumbleberry's. there was a sign at the front that said "we reserve the right to refuse service." when i asked what that meant i was told not to pay any attention, a black man came in last summer and made a "commotion" about being seated in the back away from the view even though the restaurant was not full.

fodorites, if that sign is still there, i hope you say something as i did.

ruby's is a mega-sized motel with all the trimmings, souvenier shops, hayrides, large lobby, grocery store, 2 pools, restaurant, surrounded by acres of asphalt. best place to stay to see bryce. if you don't hike, bryce is easily seen in 1 day. the big scenery is the drive between bryce and zion. i can't belive i did it by myself!

you all are going to be struck dumb by southern utah.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Tony

Olive! I would at least take the Angels's Landing hike up to scout overlook for the view. A great hike. The hairy part is from there to the landing.