Zion and a Quick Trip to Bryce

Jun 1st, 2018, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Zion and a Quick Trip to Bryce

We just returned from the Memorial Day weekend in Zion. They had 30,000 visitors on that Sunday...We planned this trip perfectly, thanks to a lot of tips and info from here and TA. I have a blog with photos you can look at but I will give the basic info here as well.

May 25-flight to Vegas, spent the night
26-up early, on the road by 7:00 AM, drive to Bryce, do the Sunset Point to Sunrise Point hike, drive to Zion stop and do Canyon Overlook Hike
27-Zion-top down Observation Point hike -this was awesome but be aware that if you have height issues, its a doozy
28-Zion-Narrows hike beginning at 7:45-hardly anyone there, had a lot of the hike up canyon to ourselves
29-Emerald Pools at 8:00 AM (again almost all to ourselves going up), Valley of Fire drive thru, 4:00 flight home

Loved every part of it! Stayed at the Springhill Suites in Springdale-fantastic! Meals at Spotted Dog and Bit and Spur plus Zion Lodge-all very good.

Happy to answer any questions!

Blog link:
https://wordpress.com/post/totraveli...dpress.com/235
Jun 1st, 2018, 10:11 AM

Sounds like my kind of trip, out early and get things done before the crowds and heat. How did you manage logistics for the Observation Point top down hike? Don't you have to park at the East Rim Trailhead somewhere? Last May we did Hidden Canyon/Observation Point from the bottom, would like to try the top down next trip.
Jun 1st, 2018, 11:36 AM

Sounds like a great trip. I wasn't able to open the link. I'll just have to use my imagination.
Jun 1st, 2018, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Sounds like my kind of trip, out early and get things done before the crowds and heat. How did you manage logistics for the Observation Point top down hike? Don't you have to park at the East Rim Trailhead somewhere? Last May we did Hidden Canyon/Observation Point from the bottom, would like to try the top down next trip.
Zion Adventurers will shuttle you up and then you hike down. It was I think $30 per person. The shuttle leaves at 6:15 and 9:30.

oops...how about this link?
https://totravelistolive678431148.wo...trip-to-bryce/
Jun 1st, 2018, 09:20 PM

Sounds like you had great fun their, I would also like to do this.
Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:52 AM

Great pictures and I love your writing style. Thanks for sharing.
Jun 4th, 2018, 05:03 AM

Wonderful report. Thanks for the new link, the pictures were great.

Now you need to get back to Moab and explore all that Arches, Canyonlands and the surrounding area has to offer.
Jun 4th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Wonderful blog, but once I saw the first video, I sort of made up my mind I couldn't do that! But then, if you could....
Jun 5th, 2018, 05:42 AM

WOW! What a great report. Your photos are fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing.
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Excellent report and the photos gave a good idea of the exposure on those trails... I need one in Arches of the walk to Delicate Arch. (Please)

It's true that Zion has turned into a Zoo. The shuttles haven't had much of an impact on the crowds, just another line to wait in! It's gorgeous in the fall if you can hit it between storms....
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:45 AM

If I can figure out how to attach the picture of the route to Delicate arch I will.
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:50 AM

This is the route to Delicate arch. If you zoom into the center you can see the path up to the slick rock. In the far distance you can see the light from the cars in the parking area. There is one ledge beyond this area where you have a few yards of no rail on one side and a wall on the other. It's fine if no one is trying to go in the other direction.
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:54 AM

mlgb,
I got the photo to post finally. DH and I were in our mid 70's when we did the hike and we are from elevation 0. The hard part was having to stop frequently to get our breath. If you click on the picture you can zoom in a lot and use the people who were hiking below for perspective. The surface was fine to hike on and not slippery at all when we went.
Jun 5th, 2018, 12:28 PM

I'm not sure I like what's happening at the left edge of the shot!
Jun 5th, 2018, 01:25 PM

The slick rock is wide enough so you don't have to go straight down where it is steep, you can angle across, kind of like traversing a wide ski slope. If an old lady who was 74 could do it you can too!
Jun 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the compliments. It was a great trip.

Search this Thread