Search

Zion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Alan

Zion

I am doing a tour of southwest USA this July/August. I have one day to travel between Bryce canyon and Las Vegas. Will I have time to see Zion on the way? I would like to arrive in LV with a bit of time in the evening to see a little of the place as I only have one night there before another long drive the next day.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Sara

It's about 2 hours from Bryce to Zion, and, looking at the map, I'm guessing it's about 3 hours or so from Zion to Las Vegas. If you got an early start, you could make a 2 to 4 hour stop in Zion and still get to LV in time for dinner, I would think. It would only be time for a tantalizing quick drive through the canyon, maybe a short hike or two to places like weeping rock (really cool, unless it's raining - then you wouldn't be able to appreciate it), the first or second emerald pool, or a ways on the trail at the end of the canyon. Have lunch at Zion lodge, if possible, it's a very nice restaurant with good food. You will be somewhat frustrated and wish you had more time, because it's so beautiful there, but at least you'll get to see it, which is better than missing it altogether!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Kathleen

A few thoughts on Zion / LV: Unless traffic is awful you may be able to get to LV in well under 3 hours. We did Hurricane to LV in 1 and a half hours in May - but the multilane highway begins outside of Hurricane. Lunch at the Lodge was nice but service was incredibly slow in a sparsely filled dining room. It was not worth losing the sightseeing time. Most important - it is unlikely that driving the main canyon area will be permitted. This is shuttle bus only access.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 11:32 AM
barbara woolf

You'll have plenty of time, but remember you're in the desert, so it gets very hot, so start very early.

The Weeping Wall trail is nice, and you'll be in the shade most of the time. Angel's Landing is spectacular, but a bit longer. It zigzags up the side of a canyon wall, and at the top you have a vista of the canyon: all red rock and very beautiful.

Take lots of water and enjoy!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Sara

Kathleen is right, I hadn't realized it, but they do have a new policy of shuttle bus only access to the upper canyon in the summer months. This wasn't true when we were there last August. I just looked at their web site, and it says that you can park at the visitors center and take the bus, which makes nine stops throughout the canyon. The bus is free with park admission, and you can get on and off as often as you like. It says the bus runs frequently throughout the day. This sounds like a pretty good deal, as long as there aren't long lines waiting to board the bus. You can concentrate on looking at the scenery instead of the road, and don't have the frustration of trying to find a parking place when you want to stop and hike a bit. You can pick up a brochure at the visitor's center that lists all of the different trails, level of hiking difficulty, and approximate time the hikes take. There are several easy, short hikes to choose from, since you won't have a lot of time to spend there. If you're interested, since you'll be coming from the east, just before you go through the tunnel, there is a trail, the Canyon Overlook Trail, which takes about a half hour to hike round trip, is moderately strenuous (not too bad), and rewards you with a spectacular view into the canyon.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Alan

Thanks for your reply Sara. I didn't think I would have time to fit Zion in but you have convinced me it will be worth it. I will also do one of the hikes you suggest.
Alan.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 12:15 PM
Alan

Thanks also Kathleen and Barbara. It's great to be able to talk to people who have been to the area before.
Alan.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Bob Brown

Zion is hot! We just got back and it was 103 the day we were there and the a/c in the visitors' center had failed!!
Shuttle bus travel in the main part of the canyon is the only way unless you are Orrin Hatch.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:05 AM
Perry

ZION is absolutely Awesome! We visited Grand Canyon South Rim and North Rim..Bryce..and Zion ending in Las Vegas..Las Vegas was so crowded loud and garish coming from those canyons and mountains!...Emerald Pools trail very nice..The Riverside Trail in Zion is a Must ending up in the Virgin River to the Narrows! Hiking that river is an unforgettable experience! Incredible!
Have Fun!