Search

Your favorite French restaurant in Los Angeles and why

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your favorite French restaurant in Los Angeles and why

Hi, Fodorites!

I need help selecting a GREAT - possibly the BEST? - French restaurant in Los Angeles for an upcoming very special event. Location is not a problem. We are going to be in Ontario, Mission Viejo and Santa Monica on this trip, so location really isn't an issue. Price isn't much of an issue, either, although I like value for my money. (Been on too many business trips where we paid a fortune for three little carrots posing as "The Delectable Vegetable Dish".)

Please tell me your personal favorite(s) and the reasons why.

I think, at the moment, L'Orangerie is out. Seems to have lots of problems.

TIA!
easytraveler
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I'm a big fan of Frenchy's Bistro in Long Beach. Not-great location (just an unattractive stretch of commercial Anaheim Ave.), but stellar French bistro cuisine, fine wine list, superb service and loyal local clientèle tip the scales. For the level of cuisine, the prices are good.

Mélisse in Santa Monica still gets a loyal crowd. And isn't Lucques a French place?

Pastis in West Hollywood, La Cachette in west LA and Café Beaujolais in LA are good options as well.

Since it's a very special event, maybe Pastis is the way to go, since it has a nice bistro atmosphere. Or maybe Mélisse. Frenchy's has the highest food rating of French bistros in the southern CA area, but the atmosphere is quite pedestrian.

Bastide in West Hollywood is incredibly polarizing since its new head chef discarded its prior Old-School French menu in favor of Extreme Cuisine; the La Times stripped its rating from four-stars (perfect) to one star (merely good), mostly because their pastry chef is excellent. Depending on your adventurous nature, you'll find Bastide's food either a cheeky deconstruction of French cuisine (replete with foams, freezes and candy-based sauces), or the culinary equivalent of chimpanzees throwing manure at you at the zoo. Either way, you'll spend exorbitant amounts of money for the (arguable) pleasure.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:11 AM

The "rating" I refer to is out of Zagat. By the way, if you choose to forego atmosphere and go to Frenchy's, a hint: Call to make your reservations and also tell them you will be wanting the chocolate soufflé for dessert (has to be ordered in advance). You'll thank me later.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

rjw: Can I thank you now? Those are fabulous recommendations!

Does Frenchy's serve lunch?

We need something a bit more "romantic" for this dinner event - so it looks like either Pastis or Melisse. Although La Cachette looks good, too!

Is Melisse that much better than Pastis to justify having 4 dollars signs to Pastis's 3? (Sorry, don't remember which website did this - citysearch, la.com, tripadvisor, etc. - I get confused! LOL!)

We're looking for great French food - the feeling of being in Paris is good but a secondary consideration.

As a hint to our tastes, in Yountville, home of the much praised French Laundry, our favorite French restaurant is the Bistro Jeanty.

Thanks again, rjw!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Mélisse is indeed one of the greater LA area's highest-rated "New French" restaurants. La Cachette is just behind it. Pastis is highly-regarded, but not at the same lofty heights as the former two. I don't know that you can do wrong at any of these.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although the food at Frenchy's is great, the atmosphere (and location) is a big letdown. They do serve lunch.

La Cachette would be my first choice, but there is an enormous road building project going on outside the restaurant. Just getting to their door would be an adventure, although I'm sure they'd treat you like visiting royalty if you found your way there.

My next choice(s) would be Pastis or Patina, although the latter is not pure French and has slipped a bit recently (or is the competition just getting better?).

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:35 PM

As soon as I saw French and Los Angeles together in one post I could only think of Pastis. I love the place. It is merely a bonus that it is so reasonable as well. If your idea of French is that it must also be grand and expensive, then you might be disappointed.
La Boheme is good too and no one seems to mention it -- maybe not so "pure" French as Pastis, but a wonderful atmosphere to go with the very good food.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and suggestions!

We are sort of zeroing in on an area - east of Santa Monica, which would probably place us somewhere in the vicinity of Melisse, La Cachette, etc. We are probably going to go after seeing the King Tut exhibition.

I've heard about Patina, but it's a bit far now from our target area.

La Boheme? Where's that? Gotta check the web again!

It would be a choice right now of Melisse and La Cachette. Melisse sounds a bit more formal and therefore, less likely a choice, for the teenagers in our group, even tho they are used to dining out. La Cachette sounds truly romantic for the key persons, the whole reason we are going through all this agony of finding "the perfect place." LOL

Any other comments, suggestions? Anything to help us make up our minds will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Mélisse is in the heart of Santa Monica-- Wilshire and 11th, in fact. The part of west LA where one finds La Cachette will be quite a bit closer to LACMA, although the tear-up of Santa Monica Blvd will make getting to it a bit of a challenge. Make sure you call the restaurant and ask for clear directions as to getting there and to parking (they'll have valet, everyone does!).
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
lvk

Though Patina is not purely French, there is the added bonus of their location in the Walt Disney Concert Hall Complex, which may or may not appeal to your group.

La Cachette is also a great choice. Be sure to try their amazing Lobster & Crab Bisque!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Whoa! I haven't been to La Boheme for a while, but in searching for a website, I found it:
http://www.global-dining.com/site/re...g=EN&chainId=6

It used to have a highly French menu, but I see it has changed significantly, menu wise -- not so French now. High ratings in the newest Zagat's with among other things the comment: "if you want a restaurant that makes an impression, this is it."

It's on Santa Monica Blvd. just east of La Cienega.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM

La Bohème would be a pretty quick drive from LACMA. A good choice.

Café Beaujolais is great, but it's up in Eagle Rock-- too far.

I'm thinking La Cachette is the one...! Bon appétit, y'all.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Mucho millions of thank you's to all who offered up their favorites in LA!

The decision has been made:

La Cachette

Reservations have been made and their website shows ways to get around the street construction.

Staying at the Century Plaza, so as to be near everything, including the King Tut exhibit.

Again, many, many thanks! You all are awesome! ><