Your experiences using orbitz.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:56 AM
ma

Hello.

Looking at getting a ticket on www.orbitz.com and am wondering what your experiences were using this site? Also, are you able to get airmiles for trips purchased on Orbitz?

Please advise.

Cheerio.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Beenie

Everytime I try and book with them I get booted off the site.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:51 AM
KimS

My husband and I booked our tickets to Hawaii thru Orbitz around the middle of Aug. We received paper tickets a couple of days later by Fed ex. We had no problem with ordering them and the charges to my credit card were correct and organized. They also sent a confirmation e-mail to my e-mail account. I was a bit leary ordering plane tickets online (usually I call the airline themselves) but so far so good! I am not sure about air miles. Good Luck!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:00 AM
Dick

ma,

I always look at Orbitz, but end up buying my tickets on the American Airlines website for the same or lower price. I say American Airlines since that is where all of my FF miles are.

However, should you book on Orbitz, you will receive your FF miles. I also believe you can pick your seats on the Orbitz website.

Dick

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:23 AM
ann

i do the same thing that dick does. orbitz charges a small fee for booking on the site so usually, i'll go on to see what fares are cheaper, then book through the airline. i have booked both cars and flights directly through orbitz, however, with no problems. the good thing about it is that if the flight schedule gets changed, orbitz will send you an advisory email which the airlines don't seem to do.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:23 AM
lawren

I have always used Travelocity for airline tickets. They send an e-mail if anything changes (departure times, etc.)and will also phone you.

I have bought over a dozen tickets from them and have not run into any problems.
The paper ticket confirmation that you print out is accepted without question at the airports.

L

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:32 AM
lawren

PS: Yes. You get the airline miles if you give them your milage account number.

L

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:39 AM
a

I bought tix at Orbitz and had no problems. Even though they showed a "service fee" charge, when I got to the last step to purchase, service fee disappeared. I've also used them a couple of times to make hotel reservations. I'd definitely recommend thenm -- and I have to several friends.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Thyra

I've used both Orbitz and Travelocity, I prefer Travelocity. But have never had problems with orbitz.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
OO

I used to use Travelocity exclusively, but after giving Orbitz a try, I've stuck with them. Initially I'd compare fares on both and found Orbitz slightly less expensive, or there was a better time selection. Now I don't bother to compare. Haven't tried getting AA directly through their website, so don't know how prices compare, but do use SW's site for purchasing their tickets.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:37 PM
Dick

OO,

Of course Southwest does not participate in any of the online tavel websites other than their own.

Dick

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
joan

Orbitz is wonderful for complicated trips. Recently booked a six-leg journey to Hawaii, including interisland, through Orbitz, traveling on three airlines. Paper tickets arrived promptly, changes were made (of course!) but I was notified in plenty of time. Their site seems to do more "creative" flight combinations.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Mike

I have to agree with Joan. I just got back from a multi-destination trip that I was unable to obtain through the airlines website. Orbitz pulled it off cheaply. I was also a little leary, even though I had the Orbitz confirmation info, so I called the airline to confirm my flight and everything was OK. I also added my FF miles during the confirmation call; I would definately use Orbitz again.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:16 PM
Patty

I also do what Dick and ann do - compare prices on orbitz and then go to the airline's own website to book. Two advantages to this - I don't pay the $5 service charge and I get bonus FF miles for booking online directly with the airline (they do add up!). Once in a while I get a fare that is not available thru the airline directly but for the most part, this works.