Reload this Page >

Your best hotel deal

Search

Your best hotel deal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 08:16 AM
Jennifer

Your best hotel deal

My husband just started a career with a major airline and although the flights are cheap, I am always looking for great hotel deals. I am interested in specific hotel names, cities, and how you got the deal.
Here's my best deal so far-I met my husband for a layover in Phoenix this past weekend and the first night was free because we just stayed with him. My son and I ended up staying an extra night at the Hilton airport and got a great deal. It was 49.99 a night (saturday) and when we checked in my four year-old son was given a very nice backpack and beachball. The room was large and had two queen beds. I asked for the airline discount when I called the 800 number and I got this price. I never even was asked to show an airline ID or anything!
What's your best deal?

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 06:46 AM
Don

Brand-new Microtel Inn hotels in the Southeast for $30/night.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Diane

My daughter works at the Sheraton part time (college student). She got us $29 a night because we are family. (Great for us and her -- who needs parents in a college group house!) She can get that rate herself at any other Sheraton.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 05:17 PM
Harriett

This deal won't match the others posted, but it's not bad for NYC. I'm planning my first trip there, and found (on Fodor's, of course!) a superb location with views of Central Park & the Hudson, two double beds, full kitchen and free coffee for $160 per night for two, with great reviews from other Fodorites. It's the Hotel Beacon, at Broadway and 75th. Great ratings in every NYC guidebook I've picked up, and the best rate I found for anyplace anyone would want to stay in New York.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Diane

Harriett - let me warn you -- NYC hits you with beaucoup taxes so even when you think you've got a decent rate, expect about 18% additional. But it is one of my very fav cities even if it does cost a bunch. Always ask for a high floor when you check in. Not only are the views better, but the noise won't be as much a distraction. And street noise in NYC is like nothing you've ever heard!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 11:38 AM
Jr

My favorite hotel deal is to go to timeshare "come-ons", get the deal on the preview nights, take the tour, tell them NO a couple of times, and leave. A great place to do this is in Orlando.

Typically, the properties are very nice (they want you to buy so they have the place looking great) and spacious (the last one we had was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, kitchen, living/dining room, great pool, free breakfast).

You just have to be firm with saying NO. Or buy, but we didn't see how you come out ahead...in our opinion.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 05:24 AM
Rob

Wall Street area hotels for weekends in NYC is my recommendation. I've stayed at the Marriott in the World Trade Center for as little as $99. If you're comfortable riding the subway (which is pretty easy & safe during the day, and you can take cabs late at night), the World Trade Center has its own subway stop. South Street Seaport, Chinatown and Little Italy are a short cab ride or long walk away. Give it a try.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 05:26 AM
Rob

Wall Street area hotels for weekends
in NYC is my recommendation. I've
stayed at the Marriott in the World
Trade Center for as little as $99.
If you're comfortable riding the
subway (which is pretty easy & safe
during the day, and you can take
cabs late at night), the World Trade Center has its own subway stop.
South Street Seaport, Chinatown and
Little Italy are a short cab ride or
walk away. Give it a try.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 06:51 PM
Michael

Just booked a room through Priceline.com for 3 days in New Orleans in October at the Wyndam Riverfront Hotel for $60 a night. Their website list the regular (presume rack price) as $234 a night. Consider this a steal !

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 05:40 AM
Troy

Jennifer,

I am a travel agent at Interval International and I have an IATA card - It stands for International Airlines Travel Agent. Ask your employee benifits rep if you or your husband can get one. I just stayed at a 3 star hotel in downtown Denver for $69 a night. I could've stayed at the Westin for $20 more using the IATA card. It also works great for car rental deals. I also agree with Jr. and his previous post about staying at timeshare resorts while agreeing to attend a 90 minute sales presentation. They sometimes let you stay free or charge you a nominal amount (ex. $90 for 3 nights). If you have more questions, email me.