Reload this Page >

Young teen-age fun convenient to LAX?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:02 PM
ktrose

We are arriving at LAX on a Friday morning and will catch a van from LAX in the early evening. Could we get to and from a place of interest to a young teen without renting a car? Could we get to Disneyland via shuttle? Universal City? Other suggestions?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:31 PM
mare

You can get to Disneyland via shuttle but I would not recommend it you'll wait a half hour for the van to show up, then an hour trip to Anaheim , you won't have much time at Disneyland.

You can catch the Citybus to Universal, or taking a little longer but probably more fun, take the MTA shuttle to the subway and take the subway to Universal. You can stop on the way at the Walk of Fame/ Hollywood and Highland.

Even though Universal is close by, you're still cutting it close. Arrive at LAX 10am, get to Universal by 11:30 if you're lucky, you'd have to leave Universal at 3:00 in order to be sure and get back to LAX by 5:30.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Jeannette

A walk down the Venice boardwalk would be great fun for a young teen. The boardwalk is often in films and it should be sunny and nice. Actually, it's not a boardwalk but a cement sidewalk. From LAX, take a taxi to Venice Boulevard and the boardwalk and I don't think it could be more than $20. Then walk past muscle beach. You might want to walk down to the ocean too. Although you won't be there on a weekend when things are really hopping, you should still see a few performers (jugglers, comedians, etc.). There's tons of tee shirts, jewelry, tatoos, hair braiding, and junk to look at and buy. Many weird people. Go as far as the Santa Monica pier and walk out on the pier and look at the rides. The walk should take about an hour. Then you could walk across Pacific Coast Highway at the pier towards a big mall called Santa Monica Place. Go around the mall to the Third Street Promenade and you'll find about 5 blocks of outdoor shops and restaurants on a pedestrian street. Depending on how much time you have left, you can call a taxi and go back to LAX from there or you can walk the way you came and get a taxi from Venice. However, there are no taxis roaming around the streets so you'll have to call one. Remember to allow yourself enough time in rush hour traffic to get to the airport.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:13 AM
M

Venice & santa monica area would be fun. I can't remember the exact site, but there is a site that is very handy for checking out bus service. I ended up renting a car because I found one for $20 but looked like bus would have been pretty easy.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
kam

Venice boardwalk and Santa Monica are good suggestions. Also the Farmer's Market (which is much more than a market) Young teen boy? There's a Museum of the Automobile and the La Brea Tar pitson Wilshire. I would take a taxi(yes, there are some) and not rent a car. Too much time to go to Disney or Universal.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Michael Jackson

You're more than welcome to drop that precious young thing at my house for a couple of hours. Bubbles and I are great at entertaining the children.