Search

Young frugal family wanting to drive around Lake Michigan! HELP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Young frugal family wanting to drive around Lake Michigan! HELP

Hi!!
Ive heard great things about this forum as I'm needing some great vacation advice!

We are a young family with children ages 4 and 6 and looking to drive around lake michigan this summer in the end of July... First two days will be in chicago and weve got that part finished but now we are going to drive north and then back around into Illinois and have no clue where we should stay, eat, or what activities there are for a young family... We like beaches, amusement parks, children museums, parks, a little nature as long as its hands on for the kids, the husband likes sports, and a little history is always good. Trying to keep our hotel or b&b budget around 100-120 a night and wed just need two doubles or a king with a pullout couch for the kids.. We are planning the trip to be about 10 days long and the first two are in chicago....so ive got 8 to fill OR suggest something totally different!! We are in southern illinois and looking for a great family vacation spot!

Thanks for any help!
Becky
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM

First question: when you say "around" Lake Michigan, do you mean-
1) in a circle around this body of water, thus requiring that you go into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, across the Mackinac Bridge, and then down the western shore of the Lower Peninsula?
OR
2) in the general vicinity of that lake?

If the former, eight days will mean a bit of rushed trip. It'd be no problem for me, but I wouldn't recommend trying to do so with two young children.

If the latter, I can recommend either Door County OR the Wisconsin Dells Region; or perhaps both. The latter has been a family vacation area for decades, with lots of amusement places and some nature. Door County is a little less touristy, and more nature.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response!

Originally I was thinking your number 1.. but we actually did think about going to the dells after chicago as a second choice, but we have done that type of vacation in the past but that was prior to having kids for us, maybe that would be a good idea instead.. I did love the dells and also going to house on the rock when we were out that way. My husband never traveled much growing up so that is one vacation he has taken before so I was kinda hoping for maybe something different for him to see and also the kids love a good beach

My kids are pretty good travelers and tend to fall asleep as soon as we start to drive so we thought we could do our driving early evening and they'd be out and we'd be to our next destination in a few hours and they wouldnt' have realized we even drove a long way...

I'd like to try the drive around Lake Michigan staying close to the body of water like you said including the upper peninsula and down the western shore if possible but if 8 days is too little of a time I am definitely open to other ideas!

If we were to the drive around the Lake instead, how many days do you think we'd need, we might be able to extend it a little longer if we need to and what would be the main stopping/staying/sight seeing points as you go around the lake?????
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Perhaps going south from Chicago and then up the west coast of Michigan might be less time consuming but still have plenty to do. From Chicago, you could be to the Saugatuck/Holland area in a few hours. There is the beach, sand dunes, nice dining options. Then maybe go a bit further north for a few days.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM

We drove all the way up the east coast, across Mackinac Bridge then all the way across the southern edge of Lake Superior and down through central Minnesota.

Hardly ever saw water----just trees, trees, trees.

I wasn't impressed with the UP at all. Just flat, new growth tree growth.

We enjoyed Sleeping Bear Dunes State Park--pretty good beach but no one was swimming. The locks at Sault St Marie were neat. Petosky and Traverse City were pretty towns.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Gardendiva, gonna look into Saugatuck/Holland for the trip going back South as a possible night over as we started booking hotels that we know for sure we want to stay at.. but thanks! Know anything about Muskegon, MI???

Thanks Connie! My husband and I had a good chance to sit down together and try to google the towns along the route and we did decide this so far:

1. first 2 nights in Chicago
2. We need to fill 3 nights *trying to keep the drive less then 5 hrs each trip* splitting them into a 2night stay and a 1 night stay until we get to Traverse City,MI so maybe 2 in Green Bay and one at the top of Lake Michigan??? not sure yet... any ideas??
3. Then, Staying 2 nights at the Wolf Lodge in Traverse City and sight see there - kids will love
4. Heading towards Muskegon, MI for 2 nights for the beach and possibly the big amusement park (michigan adventure?) *or maybe another town near that, that is better??? and then the 7hr drive back home...

So I guess I need some locations that are north of Chicago up to the top of Lake Michigan and if anyone has been to the towns I've mentioned before, whether they are worth it or one that you know of that's better?!

I would love to find some great food places along that route.. i loved Dinners,driveins, and dives and soo hoping I can find something around that area!! Any good food places I shouldn't miss?????? In chicago or along that route!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 03:50 AM

OK Becky,

if it were me here's what i would do: assuming a midsummer trip

* leave Chicago drive North to Wisconsin. drive about 2.5 hours - Stop in Bristol Wisconsin at the Ren faire. watch a joust, have a turkey leg and watch the people for the day. then on to Sheboygan - or Green bay if you want to push it for the night. As I recall Sheboygan has a waterpark type hotel as well. The kids will sleep well!

*next travel to the Peshtigo fire museum - it's on your way and pretty amazing- they had a huge fire at the same time as the Chicago fire. Get some ice cream from the DQ and keep truckin' North to the border. If you can push it to at least Manisique

if you can though - really push it to St. Ignace. This will be your 2 day stop in the UP. Visit Whitefish Point - shipwreck museum toss some rocks into the Lake and catch Tahquamenon Falls on the way back to St. Ignace. for food here you can try Clydes drive in for great burgers, Java Joe's for a good breakfast and there was also this place that I can't remember the name - on the main drag pirate theme - amazing whitefish nuggets and fresh hand cut fries, amazing. My kids insisted we go back to this place for lunch and dinner for 2 days!

The next day, either lounge on the beach at the dunes near Brevort or head on over to Mac Island. Kids your age would love the butterfly house there and a nice leisurely bike around the island. Either way, if you do stop in to St. Ignace - be sure to contact the visitor's bureau - tons of ideas for things to do! They also have a Native American drum circle and historical tour every week - don't remember the day. Some of the best food can be found at Lehto's Pasties - seriously, the best, but far out of town - watch for it as you drive toward SI and hope that it's open. And in SI get smoked fish from Manny's - truly delicious whitefish spread - perfect to enjoy with a bottle of wine after the kids are asleep. Full Disclosure: my uncle owns java joe's and my cousin is the voice on the phone at the tourist bureau - but they really do care about travelers - they realize their livelihood depends on travel dollars and will treat you accordingly! Tell either of them what your interests are and you will get an earful of suggestions.

I completely disagree with previous poster. I love the UP - we go every year to enjoy the lake and tranquillity. We also hike a part of the North Country Trail when we go and pick wild blueberries along the way to snack on. By going the southern route you miss much of the truly amazing sights of pictured rocks lakeshore - but you have more for the kids to see - there is just so much to do!

**so leave the UP - on your way out do not miss Old Mill Creek State Park - zip line through the trees - demonstrative exhibits and simple fun hikes. The Fort in Mac City is also fun, but may be a bit advanced for your kids ages - you can buy a Historical MI pas that gets you in free or at a great discount to these sites - see if whitefish point is part of it - I'll bet it is.

Petoskey is an hour and a half from Mac City on the highway, a bit more on the scenic drive. I've done the scenic drive numerous times and I love it - but...I do get impatient - like a previous poster said: trees and the every now and then glimpse of the lake. But those glimpses are fine! If you go this route consider a stop for lunch in Harbor Springs - a chic little town, it has a great bookstore and plenty of cute shops to browse. There is a restaurant right down by the bay that overlooks the water. basic american fare. you should easily be able to push to Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes - a must see.

**After your two days in TC - head South. You've got a couple choices here - you could stop in Grand Haven or push to Douglas. Personally, I would not stop in Muskegon. Grand Haven has this funky "dancing waters" fountain that they do during the summer down on the river. My kids love it. The beaches are decent here too. If your interests go to the arts - push to Douglas - an artist town - tiny but I love it. There is a restaurant there called Everyday People Cafe - love it - as do my kids. I have never been to MI adventure so I can't speak to it, we save our amusement park with the kids dollars for Disney.

Holland is away from the lake and Muskegon to me is a 'business' not tourist town. I wouldn't go to either on a vacation.

In the far south of Michigan swing into St. Joe for a top rated beach with huge playground for kids, a cool outdoor play sprinkler an excellent kid's museum, Krasl art, and you can grab a hot dog from the hot dog man on main street - 1.50 a piece - sit on a bench and people watch. before you leave take a swing on the carousel - restored to it's former glory! You might consider making St. joe your final night in MI. But the only place to stay with a good lake view is the Boulevard Hotel - not budget friendly.

On your way back to Chicago - if you can take more sand - check out Warren Dunes state park - also in this vicinity is Cafe Gulistan in Sawyer - a really great Middle Eastern restaurant run by a truly amazing chef from Kurdistan.

So there - you're done with your trip!

Just to give you an idea - we have done this trip - more than once - with two small kids. We took mostly the fastest routes. It took us 8 - 9 hours to make the drive to St. Ignace from Chicago and then St Ignace to the MI/IN border is another 6 - but again, that's all on the fastest routes. Double or triple that drive time for scenic routes.

general tips - you say you're frugal - do you camp? if so, you may find that some of the state park campgrounds are very beautiful and of course cheaper than hotels. I would try to do a nice mix of both to get a great and varied experience. Most of the hotels/motels will be your basic pull in- sleep leave types. I strongly encourage you to check out the pure Michigan web site for recommendations BUT don't stop there - contact the tourist office or visitor's bureau where you intend to stop. If you call you'll get WAY more information than if you just check the web site.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:33 AM

On Mac Island there is small British cemetery from War 1812!! Very well kept. Amazing to me to see this. Very sad the tombstones.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM

I am going to agree with jujubean on everything except the recommendation for Everyday People restaurant in Douglas. It is expensive and I have to say I had the worst meal of my life in there. Douglas and Saugatuck are very expensive areas to stay at compared to your budget at that time of year. Typically $250/night with a 2 night stay. Holland has a few chain hotels that may be a bit less expensive.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Oooh GardenD,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at EP - that does stink. I've eaten there several times with different groups and we've all been satisifed. Maybe an off night? But, if preferred there's a cute restaurant just across the street too that we ate at and enjoyed - and a gelato bar just down the street.

At any rate - true - Saugatuck/Douglas can be pricey - but check out the Pines Motor Lodge; a fun kitchy riff on vintage. And you'll find rooms there for anywhere from 140 - 180 "ish" on a summer weekend - but yep, a 2 night stay. Maybe push down to St. Joe for 1 night - or swing into South Haven. It is tough in the summer to find unique properties that allow a one night stay remember this is high season - but I'm optimistic they can be found!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Are you flying into Chicago or driving? If you are driving - do you have camping equipment?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL!! I just filled a paper with information for the trip! and I think i've just added several new sites!
...ok to answer some questions and ask some more answers!!

jujubean! Thank you soo much for all you've posted, I definitely want to check out St. Joe now!!

Tomsd.. we are driving but we don't have camping equipment and actually my husband is not a huge fan of the camping, and honestly neither am I anymore.. my mom almost died over last summer from a tic bite and spent awhile in the ICU fighting for her life, sooooo the camping is probably definitely out!

WE did decide on a few other things though over the last day... we decided (despite the fact we know mackinac island would be beautiful) to instead take the SS badger fairy over Lake Michigan midtrip- kids are free right now and its not too expensive considering the amount we'd save on gas by not driving to the UP.. so instead we are doing

1. Chicago 2 nights
2. ?? Green Bay or other place in Wisconsin for 2 nights that's not tooo far from the ferry
3. Take the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI --which the kids will love this! they love boats and water
4. from Ludington go to Traverse, MI for the Wolf Lodge for 2 nights
5. From Traverse head South ?? not sure exactly to where yet but I'm now looking into the places you guys mentioned!!
Kinda sad to hear that Muskegon is not a touristy area...was hoping that would be a good stop....

and then possibly either 1 more night at the bottom tip by the sand dunes you guys mentioned or head straight home, depending on what I can find!

**I hated chopping off the whole northern part of Lake Michigan but I think that will help with my kids and the drive time.. we will be spending alot of hours every other day in the car and that 8hr trip north to St. Ignace was kinda making me worried...
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

ALRIGHT! you all convinced me I had a talk with my husband and I think we decided to skip the ferry and go ahead and head north to Mackinac Island/St. Ignace... originally that was in the plan but after looking at actual drivetime, its really not as bad as I thought it would be!

soooo yeah, up to St. Ignace and Mackinaw we go, LOL

and we've definitely added ST. Joseph per jujubean's recommendation and maybe we'll just stay 1 night in Muskegon to hit the amusement park there...
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM

jujubean, The Pines is a hoot. Looks like a step back in time.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Another vote for St. Joseph MI. My son lives there and his kids have been to the children's museum several times. It's very hands on and a good place to visit for a few hours. Silver Beach is also another good spot to spend some time on the beach with the little ones. Muskegon water park gets another vote, but I would stay away from Saugatuck. It's too pricey and your little ones will not appreciate it.
Have a great time.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM

US 2 along Lake Michigan toward St. Ignace is pretty. You can pull off the side and walk along the beach.

I love the UP, but I'm a biased Michigander
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM

119 from Cross Village down to Harbor is a beautiful drive but would take a bit longer. Especially nice in May when the route is loaded with trillium. Leggs Inn in Cross Village is an experience unto itself.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:01 AM

M-119's tunnel of trees is beautiful year around!
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 08:15 PM

We started in Milwaukee with a then-seven-year-old and drove north around to the ferry in Ludington in five nights, which was pushing it. We spent a day at the Soo Locks; cool, but not necessary for younger kids.

My suggestions:
Bay Beach Amusement Park and Wildlife Sanctuary in Green Bay are cheap/free and perfect for little kids.

The AmericInn in Munising, MI, had a water slide. We hiked nearby at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

Spent a night in Paradise (Michigan) right on the water. Beautifully shallow beach at the Best Western.

A day on Mackinac Island is worthwhile. We avoided the tourist areas whenever possible and just hiked around. Take the ferry that goes under the bridge. There's also a visitor's center at one end of the bridge.

Spent time at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore near Traverse City. We hiked the Dunes and participated in the Coast Guard Life-Saving Reenactment for kids.

Took the ferry from Ludington at sunset. Could have spent a little time there. There's a playground/park near the ferry dock.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 04:03 AM

I want to add my vote for Silver Beach in St. Joseph. We took our children and grandchildren there and everyone loved it. They also enjoyed playing in the outdoor sprinkler.

We also took our family to the Saugatuck Dune Rides and that was fun. The kids might enjoy that.

Sleeping Bear Dunes was also very interesting. Trying to walk up the sand dune is harder than you would expect it to be!

I think there are hotels in Mackinaw City with indoor waterparks but it has been a few years since we were there. I personally really enjoyed that area, including the Island.

There are a lot of fun and interesting places to visit in Michigan, especially along the Lake Michigan side. Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -