Yosimite in December?

Search

Yosimite in December?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosimite in December?

I was planning to drive up to Yosimite on Dec. 23 this year from San Fransisco with a friend of mine but when we got looking on the web site, we saw that you must have chains on your tires. This worries us as we are both from Texas and are not use to snow/ice. I really wanted to see the area but it sounds like it could be pretty dangerous and too cold. Has anyone gone at this time of year and if so, what was it like? Thanks a million!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:34 PM

It just depends on the weather. I LOVE Yosemite in December. But lodging over the holidays is extremely hard to get. You might want to make that your first logistic box to check.

Right now it looks like a dry spell in the Sierras. It's been warm (50 degrees) so much of the snow has melted. Be really careful about icy spots when driving.

Just check out the weather reports and road conditions before you go.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I just spent Saturday afternoon in So. Calif with a bunch of friends who live in Oakhurst - just outside of Yosemite - and they were bemoaning the fact that they have NO snow. Only some rain here & there, but, except in the very high elevations, there is none of the white stuff. Watch the weather channel and if there's no snow before the 23rd - go for it and keep your fingers crossed you don't wake up to discover a white blanket fell in the night.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Definitely check out the lodging availiblity first. As for the chains, you are supposed to carry them in your car throughout the winter. You only put them on when there is snow on the road and the chain controls are in effect.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Yosemite is magical in December. You want a dusting of snow, to make it perfect. Right now, the roads should be fine- carrying chains is a rule, not that you need to use them.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:42 PM

I am going to assume you mean for a day trip - finding accomodations at this late date -- well just understand lots of folks book Yosemite for Christmas a year or more ahead.

A few weeks ago chains were required (lots of early winter storms w/ heavy snow pack), but this week it is very dry and almost balmy in the foothills/mountains. In fact today it is MUCH warmer in both SF and Yosemite than in the central valley you would drive across to get to Yosemite. The last few days it has been nearly 60F at 5000 ft and only about 40F in Stockton/Sacramento.

No big storms are expected this week -- but mountain roads can be icy any time. You would need to carry chains - the chance of being stopped and having to produce the chains are pretty slim but it is the law and you MIGHT be stopped.

But I am concerned about that "and too cold" bit - you will be going into the Sierra mountains. Even nice days will get very cold in the late afternoon after the sun drops behind the mtn ridge.