Search

Winter at Yosemite

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter at Yosemite

Hi, I am planning a 2-3 days trip to Yosemite NP around Christmas. It is said many parts of the park are close due to the bad weather, so could anybody especially those who has winter experience before give me advice on where to go around and visit?
Is Gracier Point open in the winter as well? Do I have to install snow train and tire there? Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM

Yosemite is beautiful in the winter (and crowded and hard to stay in, at Christmas!) The only way to get to Glacier Point is on cross country skis. The road closes at Badger Pass. It's a gorgeous place to cross country ski. There are overnight huts at the end of the road.

Often there is no snow on the valley floor. This year, the snow level has been quite low a few times so you're likely to have snow. One of our favorite things was the outdoor ice rink in Curry Village.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your reply. Since my friend and I don't have much ski experience, do you think there is still fun there? We like to take the adventure however,
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:58 PM

cobra,

My son is going to Yosemite this weekend so I'll be able to tell you how much snow there is in the valley when he gets back. We were there after Christmas last year just for the day and it was a winter-wonderland! Here are some pictures:

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/december_28yosemite.htm

Doing the hikes were a challenge because the snow had turned to ice on the paths. I think you can rent special cleats or cleated shoes to do the hiking if there is ice. Just spending time riding the shuttles and walking around the valley will be fun and beautiful...wish I was going!!!

Utahtea
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:47 PM

There's a phone number to call that gives road information and snow conditions. Call the Badger Pass ski resort in Yosemite as they have the information on road conditions and Glacier Point. Sorry don't have it handy.
Much of what you ask depends on the weather. Snow has not been an issue so far this year.

==Mike
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi, utahtea
Your pics are beautiful and I am expecting your good news!
It seems I have to rent "snowshoe" to hike there, especially if I plan to go to the Glacier Point,
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Reporting back:

DS had nice weather on Saturday for the drive up to Yosemite. Sunday it snowed a little and then it was nice again on Monday when they came home. Roads were clear on Hwy 140.

He took the shuttle bus up to Badger Pass just to look around. I forgot to ask about the trail conditions, but those can change in one day with a big snow storm.

He did say that there wasn't as much snow as last year when they went up. They went up during a pretty bad storm last year and then we went up a couple of days later...that's when I took my pictures.

Utahtea