Yosemite trip report - end of December

Dec 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Yosemite trip report - end of December

It's just about unheard of for both Tioga and Glacier Point roads to be open this time of year - but they are, as are all of the passes across the Sierra. When I heard about Tenaya Lake being both iced over and accessible, I just had to see it. I was off work Wednesday and yesterday so drove down after work on Tuesday and came back home yesterday.

We didn't spend much time in the Valley. Bridalveil Falls was a slim ribbon and Yosemite Falls was barely flowing - although some of the higher elevation falls were humungous icicles. We spent most of our short visit in the higher elevations.

Tenaya Lake was a blast. It's under about six inches of ice which my BF, newly moved here from the Midwest, assured me was thick enough to support a SUV. Having lived in mild winter climates for a long time, it took me a while to really believe this to be possible. But once I really believed it, boy did I have fun.

There were about 50 people on the ice near us - and quite a few more over other sections of the lake. Activities ranged from ice skating to hockey games to attempting to ski on the lake (that didn't look to be too successful) to dog walking to sitting on lounge chairs while enjoying a beer. Everyone seemed to be having a great time - it was like being a kid again, playing on the ice.

Tuolumne Meadows had a light dusting of snow. Some people were hiking there. Also saw people going up Lembert Dome. We didn't make it any further east than this due to time limitations. And I wanted to spend a lot of time playing on the lake.

Although the road is open all the way to Glacier Point, some of the trails are closed due to snow. The trail to Taft Point was closed but we were able to hike out to Sentinel Dome. There's a creek crossing at the beginning of the hike - which is completely frozen. Extremely cool looking. A little bit of snow on parts of the trail but it was still very easy to hike.

The weather was cold first thing in the morning but warmed up quickly. Got up to the 50s both days.

There were quite a few people there and I bet it'll be crowded for the New Year's weekend. But lodging rates will drop by next week. If you can go there before the snow finally hits - go!
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the report! Sounds wonderful!
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Where did you fly into?
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM

That would be great to see! Thanks for the TR
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:21 PM

travelertime: They didn't need to fly -- they live here

shanti: Sounds wonderful. Not only is it nearly unheard of for the roads to be open . . . Even more unusual that Tioga Pass was closed in Oct and then re-opened. NOTHING like last year's huge snow pack!

I was also going to drive down (on Wed afternoon, not tues) and might have run in to you but woke up wed AM w/ a hellacious sinus infection.
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Yep, we get to drive. I sometimes feel like it's such a hassle - having to drive for four hours. Then I meet people there who traveled from Turkey and Brazil and remind myself of how lucky I am.

Janis - I hope you feel better soon - and are able to make it down to Yosemite before it finally snows.
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM

"The weather was cold first thing in the morning but warmed up quickly. Got up to the 50s both days"

Not exactly what I would think would be safe to try standing on a lake or creek of ice- not sure though, might have been fine.
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I wouldn't go out on a creek or river in those conditions, spirobulldog. There was still an obvious current in the river and the ice was very thin. Actually, I wouldn't go out on the river even if the temperature stayed below freezing - I'd be worried about falling thru the ice - although the water was only a couple inches deep so it wouldn't have been dangerous. Just really cold and soaking wet feet.

But there was about six inches of ice on top of Lake Tenaya. So even with some melting, there was still plenty enough ice so that it was safe (according to my boyfriend, the cold weather expert). Although I imagine all that melting ice made for lousy skating later in the afternoon. But some of the photos taken earlier in the afternoon looked great - with patches of water reflecting the surrounding mountains in the photos.

Then all the water would freeze again at night, so the ice stayed nice and thick on Lake Tenaya.
Dec 31st, 2011, 05:04 AM

Wonderful report. Sounds like you had a great time.
Jan 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM

Wow! This is one unusual Holiday season - Ice Skating on Tenaya. What a rare experience - thanks for sharing!
Jan 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM

You had a rare treat. Usually that area is inacessible by now.
Jan 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM

I hope you took lots of pictures!
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

I did - and here's a few of them: http://suewallace.zenfolio.com/p1036439552
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM

Gorgeous!
Jan 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM

We were in Yosemite at the end of November and Glacier Point road was closed! We did drive up to Tuolumne Meadows because Tioga Pass had been reopened. My pictures show a lot more snow up at Tenaya Lake which was not even beginning to freeze over when we were there on November 28th! The waterfalls were going pretty good for us better because it had snowed just a week before.

I hope we get some SNOW soon!

Utahtea
Jan 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM

I so enjoyed your trip report and your pictures, Shanti. The sunset pictures are breathtaking! I am so glad you two had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.