Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Feb 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Hello. Planning a July trip; can't decide between the two. We've been to Yosemite once, never to S/KC. Hubby and I love to hike/fish/camp, anything outdoors.

We'll be coming from the Bay Area. Can somone recommend lodging, preferably a quiet resort with individual cabins, or cottage, convenient to activities.

Thank you.
Feb 11th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Because you will be going in July, I would go to S/KC. Yosemite will be a ZOO that time of year and since you are from the Bay Area, you can visit Yosemite some other year in the spring when the waterfalls are at their peak and the crowds aren't so bad. If you go to Yosemite, I would by-pass the valley and head straight to the high country.

Sequoia has great hiking and some really neat scenery. We haven't been into Kings Canyon, but it is on our list of places to go.

I don't have any lodging recommendations though - we have only camped in Sequoia.
Feb 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Wuksachi Lodge is nice and I believe is your only option. You might try luxory overnight hike to Bearpaw camp. This is a tent already set up for you and includes meals. Wuksachi doesn't have individual cabins.
Feb 11th, 2010, 07:53 PM

WE stayed a week at Wuksachi Lodge a couple of years ago.
Lodge rooms are very basic, but adequate w/showers only, 2 story building and at the time of year August no air conditioning in the rooms..it was well over 100..and the Lodge did provide a couple of fans first come, first serve. Better than a tent tho by a long shot...great, Sequoia tress, lots of trails...
The meals in the Lodge itself 5***** and reasonable, but there is nothing else around (town is quite a drive downhill winding road) and not possible to cook in the rooms.
Lodge has adequate parking and is in the middle of the woods..very nice with active bears on the trails, some close up deer sightings.

Board games and small seting area in the newer Lodge..

In Kings Canyon, funky really old time gas pump with actual gas fill up cylinder...
Feb 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM

I too thought that the meals were very good at Wusachi. I believe we had 6 meals there, and all were excellent.
Feb 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. We don't necessarily need to stay right in the park; in fact, would prefer not to, to avoid crowds and have some privacy. How about private cabins within a reasonable driving distance? I have used vrbo.com for other accommodations.

What's the difference between Sequoia and Kings Canyon? Is one better than the other? Could we explore the two or just focus on one? Haven't decided if we'll be there 3 or 5 days.

Or, should we consider Tahoe, or Mammoth Lakes area?
Feb 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM

With 3 to 5 days, you can see both Sequoia and Kings Canyon if you want to. Coming from the Bay area, you will enter the parks through the northwest. You enter a portion of Kings Canyon park first, the Grant Grove area. From there you can either head into Kings Canyon to the east (the actual canyon) or into Sequoia park to the south.

Much of Kings Canyon park is in the canyon with a river running through it, similar to Yosemite valley, the canyon is long and narrow with plenty of granite. Like I said, I haven't been down into the canyon (we didn't get to it during our visit) but I have seen pictures and studied the map.

Sequoia park is much more about the giant sequoia trees. You've got a few different main areas, but the most popular are the lodgepole and giant forest areas. There is also a cave system that you can tour - very neat.

I wouldn't worry much about crowds - although it is a national park, it isn't nearly as heavily visited as a lot of others. We camped at Lodgepole for almost a week in July and the campground was never full. And the only hike where we saw a lot of people was on the trail up to the falls behind the Lodgepole campground.

I don't know private accomodation within reasonable driving distance - maybe someone else can speak to that. And whether you should go to Lake Tahoe or Mammoth instead, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to avoid crowds though, I think Sequoia and Kings Canyon would definitely be better than Lake Tahoe for sure.
Feb 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

November Moon, thanks for the info; very helpful and much appreciated. Definitely interested in the cave tour. So searching VRBO, I found some privately owned homes in the Springville and Pinehurst areas; would that be a convenient location? Guess I have to get my map out ;-)
Feb 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM

I was curious where those towns are since I hadn't heard of them. Springville will be really out of the way - pretty far south. Pinehurst looks like a decent location though. If you look at the map, the highways you want to focus on are 180 and 198. Hwy 180 heads east into Kings Canyon while Hwy 198 makes sorth of a north/south(ish) run through Sequoia national park. Pinehurst is on Hwy 245, which goes right into the park.
Feb 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM

If you can take 5 days then you could go to Sequoia and Kings Canyon as well as the stunning Lake Tahoe. We did Yosemete too when we did this trip but we enjoyed Sequoia and Kings more than Yosemete, don't know why though, just maybe the vast scale of Yosemete.
Feb 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

November Moon: ok, good to know, Springville is too far south. Don't want to spend too much time driving from place to place.
Coldplay: WOW, I thought I squeezed every last minute of vacation time in, at least according to hubby ;-) sounds like too much area to cover though for us. Good to know you enjoyed S/KC more than Y. We've only been to the valley floor in Y; too crowded. Never been to Tahoe but is on our list. Again, Tahoe may be too busy for me.
Feb 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Call the CA tourism office 1-800-862-2543 and ask them to send you the CA tourism book, and if possible info about Tulare County. If they cannot send the Tulare info, order the info from the cards in the tourism book. Tulare's magazine Discover Visalia, Tulare County & Sequoia Region has a wealth of information about the two parks.
Feb 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM

I love Lake Tahoe, but not in summer We like spring and fall - the shoulder seasons. You don't have all the summer and winter activities, but in general we prefer scenery, hiking, biking, etc. - more low key stuff when when we are out in nature. Spring is neat because I like to see the snow melt. When you do go to Lake Tahoe, if you like to avoid crowds, I suggest the west shore. That is my favorite area of the lake.

Three places in 5 days would be too fast of a trip for me - we spent 5 days in Sequoia park itself and never made it over to Kings Canyon. But it depends on your travel style and your mood. We'd had a stressful year so relaxation was our goal - so we spent a fair amount of time with our camp chairs sitting in the river reading our books If we'd spent less time reading, we could have easily found our way over to KC.
Feb 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Sequoia Kings Canyon are much better in July than Yosemite unless you go up to Tioga in Yosemite but then only on weekdays as weekends are crowded everywhere in Yosemite.
S/KC are much less visited and very nice in summer.
If you do go over Tioga instead, you could visit Mammoth area and there is much to see and do on the eastern slope plus if you really wanted to visit Tahoe in summer....it is easily accessed from there also. I live just south of Yosemite and venture to the east Sierra's as much as I can. Mono Lake, Devil's Post Pile, Earthquake fault, Obsidian Dome are all worth a visit. There is also a ghost town north of Mono Lake. If you wanted a really scenic return from eastern Sierra back to the west...I'd recommend Highway 4...but not if you are in a motorhome....the road goes down to one lane near the summit. It is beutiful to explore though.
Feb 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your comments; very helpful.
MtnBreeze: Yes, am considering Mono County too. Would it be possible to spend a few days in S/KC and a few days in Mammoth Lakes area, or is that too much ground to cover?
Feb 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM

You might want to check out the cave in Sequoia.