Search

Yosemite NP & dogs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite NP & dogs

I managed to confirm that the Mirror Lake trail is paved but can't seem to find out if it's okay to take dogs on this trail. From what I've read it sounds like any paved trail on the Valley floor is okay -- does anyone know?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM

Hi Santee. I'm leaving Sat. for Yosemite and wondering about dogs as well. I picked up a Yosemite Nat'l Park guide map from AAA and it says "Pets are allowed on paved trails as long as they are on a leash up to six feet long. Except for service animals, they are not allowed on hiking trails." So, if it is paved, is it still a hiking trail?? There is a park info number to call but I'm betting I won'g get a live person, only a recorded message. I may try.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM

Here's the dog info:

Visitors to the National Park may walk their dogs in any Park developed area, including paved: sidewalks, trails, roads, parking lots and pedestrian malls
Dogs are also permitted on the Pohono Bridge and on paved paths not designated as foot or horse trails
Dogs are allowed in Yosemite campgrounds, except: Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and any walk-in campground
Dogs are not allowed on unpaved or poorly paved trails, with the exception of: the Meadow
Loop and Four-Mile Fire road in Wawona, Carlon Road, Old Big Oak Flat road between
Hodgdon Meadow and Hazelgreen
Dogs are not allowed in wilderness areas
Dogs are not allowed on Park shuttle buses
Dogs must be restrained on a leash not more than six feet long or otherwise must be physically restrained
Dogs may not be left unattended
The Park requires that human companions clean up and deposit pet feces in trash receptacles
Dogs are not allowed on backcountry trails, including ski trails in winter.
Dogs are not permitted on any slope above the valley floor.
Dogs are not permitted in public eating places, stores or other public buildings.
Exceptions to some of these regulations are made for seeing-eye dogs and "hearing" dogs.

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM

Thank you Suzie . I've been trying to get a live person on the phone since I posted to no avail. We have an 8 lb. shih tzu, so can carry her if necessary, but don't want to break any rules. So, do I understand correctly that I cannot bring her on trails such as Bridalveil fall, Sentinel Dome, Vernal Fall, etc.? I would assume these are not paved trails. We are camping outside the park and I would hate to leave her in our trailer all day while in the park. Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

You may not take a dog into an area beyond paved trails, so no you may not take the dog on any of the trails you mentioned. The valley floor is about the only place you can take your dog.

I wouldn't make use of the kennels at Yosemite even if your dog qualified as the care is quite sparten. Dogs must be at least 10 lbs.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:46 AM

oh dear...thanks for the info. We may have to rethink bringing her along. Although we aren't planning to go into the park everyday, that would be hard worrying about her on the days we do go . I appreciate your help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM

Though I love my dog and love to take him hiking and camping in many places, we don't bring him when we go to National Parks. They just don't belong there, they aren't going to get to have fun there, and you will get to see very little of the park if you are confined to areas that dogs are allowed. I also don't like the idea of boarding him in a kennel I know nothing about, so we leave him with a dogsitter or trusted free run "dog ranch" at home.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Several years ago, we took our very unusual CAT camping with us in the high country at Yosemite. We took him on a leash (he like to walk on a leash, believe it or not) and had a wonderful time sleeping in his cat-carrier in our tent. He even sat on the table watching bears stroll through our campground (of course, my husband was guarding him to be sure he didn't become the evening entree). We took him on the trails with us and the rangers didn't say anything because the law is that DOGS aren't allowed - nothing about cats. But he was quite a character and one in a million. He actually liked camping. It wasn't the first time we took him. He had been camping in Idaho, Sequoia, and San Francisco areas already. I guess this isn't really relevent to your question, but I had to share. I miss him. He lived to a ripe old age of 18 and passed away 3 years ago. Our two new kitties don't like walking on leashes so they won't be going camping with us.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM

There is an old road that is now close to motorized traffic that goes to Mirror Lake. I know for sure that Dogs are not allowed on the Vernal Falls Trail.

You say you are camping outside the park. Are you in an RV and will you have electrical hook ups? Will your dog have a place to go to the bathroom in your RV? If the answer is no to any of those questions, it will be in his/her best interest to be left at home with someone you trust watching out for him/her.

Utahtea
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Grandma is going to watch her after all.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. It still seems so confusing but I do have some concretes now -- no dogs walking in Mariposa Grove, no dogs to Vernal Falls.

But if it's paved ok but paved and designated as a foot trail not ok -- well wouldn't all trails be foot trails? What does "foot trail" mean?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:23 AM

There is a paved trail to the BOTTOM of Vernal Falls as is the trail to Yosemite Falls and the Mirror Lake trail.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM

The trail to Vernal Falls Bridge is partially paved, partially gravel/dirt. This trail does not allow dogs.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM

The path to Vernal Falls Bridge may have been paved at some time...but it's far from paved now. Besides there is a SIGN at the start of the trail that says NO DOGS ALLOWED!

Utahtea