Yosemite hiking with dogs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand a lot of the park is off limits to dogs, but I was wondering if anybody knows of trails that are open to dogs that would be good for a day hike? We are in Sacramento, so it's about 3.5 hours to Yosemite, coming in on 120 (Big Oak Flat entrance). There are some pet friendly places on 120, so I'm imagining driving to Yosemite in the morning, doing a hike, crashing at a nearby hotel and driving back the next day. Suggestions?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

MarkSean,

You might want to contact the NPS or the park directly. There used to be an option on their phone tree when you called the park where you could actually speak to a park ranger.

-Bill
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM

MarkSean,

Dogs are not allowed on any trail in any national park (that I know of). They can stay IN the car, IN the parking lot ON a leash.

That's about it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Dayle is definitely incorrect on this one. There are lots of places you can take pets w/i Yosemite. And they can NEVER be left in a car unattended.

check http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/pets.htm It has most the info you need.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:30 AM

ttt
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:38 AM

go to this web site yosemite appears to be one of the top dog friendly national parks but more research should be done to avoid disappointment.
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/ma.../f0902_1.shtml
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
While I haven't seen any dogs on any hikes, dogs are definitely allowed in Yosemite and Upper Pines Campground (the biggest campground in the Valley) allows dogs. There are some restrictions, though, like you can't leave your dog in the campground alone. Oh, I just remembered. Dogs were definitely allowed on the short trek up to the base of Yosemite Falls. I took a photo of a pretty golden retriever this summer at the bridge up there.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

Surfergirl,

Just because you saw a dog at the base of Yosemite Falls doesn't mean it's allowed. I've seen dogs on the Vernal Falls trail and right at the beginning of the hike it clearly says NO DOGS on trail.

There are two paths to the base of Yosemite Falls now. The paved path might allow dogs, but I'd check before going.

Upper Pines use to be the only campground that allowed dogs, but now North Pine, & Lower Pines also allow dogs.

Utahtea
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:43 AM

I had the impression that MarkSean was asking about long hikes with dogs. Yes, you can have your dog in some campgrounds on a leash, yes you can have your dog on some short, paved trails on a leash. No you should never leave your dog in a hot car.

Here is the info from the Yosemite web site:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pets
Some visitors choose to bring pets along on their vacations. In Yosemite, pets have a few rules to follow:

Pets are only allowed
in developed areas
on roads
on fully paved trails and roads
in campgrounds (except Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and walk-in campgrounds)
Pets are not allowed
on unpaved or poorly paved trails
in wilderness areas
on shuttle buses
in concessioner lodging areas
in Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and all walk-in campgrounds
Pets must be restrained on a leash not more than six feet long or otherwise physically restrained
Pets may not be left unattended
For the courtesy of other visitors, human companions are responsible for cleaning up and depositing pet feces in trash receptacles
A few places where pets are allowed, contrary to the general prohibition regarding pets on unpaved roads: the Meadow Loop and Four Mile fire roads in Wawona, on the Carlon Road, and on the Old Big Oak Flat Road between Hodgdon Meadow and Hazel Green Creek.

Maybe some of the allowable unpaved roads listed above will be a nice day hike for you.

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, folks. I reckon we'll just go and see what's up when we can talk to a ranger directly (can't seem to get them on the phone). I did also find a series of books detailing dog-friendly hikes in various parts of the country, for those interested at Mountaineer's Books online.
I know we can take the dogs anywhere that's paved, and this is our first trip to Yosemite, so we should find plenty to do for a day trip even if we can't find a decent hike.
It almost sounded like the idea of taking dogs to Yosemite was a little controversial for a couple of the respondants - for what it's worth our dogs are harmless, well behaved and love the outdoors; furthermore I have never seen any convincing evidence that dogs cause harm to parklands.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Hey Mark. Hope you got satisfaction from the many fodorites. I am planning on taking our dog to Yosemite. We're staying in the Tenaya Lodge first night (dog friendly, package for $75 for your canine), then we are staying at the Ahwanee, which is not apparently dog friendly. The question is: where does dog stay while we're at the posh Awahnee. Not sure how it's spelled, but it's damned expensive.

So--our question is: does anyone have experience leaving dog in car while staying at Awahnee? Being aware that you're not to leave your pet unattended. But--can we sneak her under the radar?

Thanks.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:51 PM

No - you can't leave your dog in the car. It is definitely against park regulations to leave a pet unattended. And trying to get away w/ it -- You can be pretty sure someone would see your dog in the car and report you.

Pets are not allowed at the Ahwahnee so you would be well advised to leave her at home this trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Actually, I think that there's a kennel in the valley. I remember seeing this info in the visitors guide this summer. I googled it and found this info: "Dog kennels are available in Yosemite Valley at the stables (open seasonally) from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Dogs must be gentle, over 10 pounds,, with proof of shots and license required. The kennels phone number is (209) 372-8348."
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Here are links to information about pets and kennels in Yosemite.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/pets.htm

http://www.yosemitepark.com/faq.cfm?...PageID=302#a22

I highly recommend that you DO NOT leave your dog in a vehicle overnight because they might make a meaty BEAR treat!

Utahtea

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I didn't mention the kennel - oggie didn't say when his trip was but I (probably mistakenly) assumed it was sooner than next summer. The kennel at the stables is only open in the summer months (Memorial Day to Labor Day).
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Regarding the fact that some posts sound controvercial - that's because dogs in national parks is a controvercial issue.

While you may be a responsible dog owner who will follow the rules and your dogs may be harmless and well-behaved, not everyone is responsible and not all dogs are well-behaved.

There are plenty of people who take their dogs where they aren't allowed, don't keep them on leashes, and don't clean up after them. There are also plenty of dogs that will bark at passersby, even lunge at them, make noise during the night, and so on.

This turns a lot of people off to dogs in national parks - and understandably so.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:24 PM
TheWeasel

Oggie-I'd say you have a better chance of sneaking your dog into the pet-unfriendly Awahnee than getting away with leaving her in your car overnight. There'd be way too many things for her to get excited about and bark over, and somebody (or something) is bound to notice her. However, I wouldn't suggest smuggling her into the Awahnee either - it would really suck to get kicked out and have nowhere to go but sleep in your car (although that would mean your dog wouldn't have to be unattended in your car).

I'd suggest either staying at the pet-friendly place both nights, or finding a kennel outside the park that can board her overnight.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM

i assume you want to go to yosemite in particular and not just anywhere with your dogs? we just went to a place called shinney boo creek cabins- up 80 from sacramento right before the cisco grove exit. they took dogs and there was alot of hiking in the area. was really nice and i think our dog liked it too even tho he's 16 and had to ride on our backs in a backpack
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Hi again Mark,

Just one more comment. Really the biggest issue with dogs in the Natl Parks is the possible encounters between dogs and wild life.

A dog on a trail or on a leash can look like a meal to a mountain lion or other predator. They can also get into big trouble with badgers, skunks, deer elk, bear, even hornets! In California, rodents carrying the PLAGUE have been a problem in the past.

Even with a nice, well behaved dog, there is the chance that if they encounter something totally new to them in a totally unfamiliar environment, they might go running off to chase it. Could end up with a dead or seriously injured pup.

I only take my little guy to places where I know I can leave him in the room unattended, few and far between. If camping, I don't leave him for a minute on his own. If these options aren't available, I leave him at home with his puppy sitter and playmate.

good luck and happy travels!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:49 PM

The Ahwahnee has all sorts of doormen and you have to go thru the lobby to get to the rooms, so chances of smuggling a dog in are minimal. And given the bear issue at night, I wouldn't leave it in the car lest she wind up as a midnight snack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -