Yosemite NP

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite NP

I'm going to Yosemite Park in September this year for a few days. Can anyone recommend any good walks/tours ?.

I'm staying at the Tenaya Lodge.Any good ??
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Tenaya looked very nice, we stopped there, but did not stay overnight. But I should warn you that it is probably about an hour and a half drive to Yosemite Valley from there. It is a nice drive, but I think it would get a bit boring after a few days. You would do much better staying in or closer to the valley if it is possible. The Awahnee for someplace really nice, Yosemite Lodge, if you don't mind basic (also no TV) or Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal for something inbetween. Until visiting Yosemite for my first time recently, I didn't quite understand the advantage of staying in the valley, but if you are planning to be very active within the park, now I couldn't see staying anywhere else.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM

I stayed in Yosemite Lodge in Sept '01 and loved it. If you can get a reservation there, I would jump at it. I highly recommend the photo walk. It was lovely being out when there were relatively few people around and while we were standing listening to the talk a deer and her fawn came very, very close to us. Magical place! Enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Lesg,
The Tenaya Lodge is in Fish Camp, as others have said, about 45 minutes from the Valley, less to Glacier Point. I have stayed their twice, usually just to rest a night coming up from L.A. before doing the camping experience. The Tenaya used to be a Marriott property, and it has rooms equivalent to the Marriott experience. The main common rooms have a lodgy feel; there's an indoor and outdoor pool and spas, and it's a relaxing, enjoyable experience. They also have bikes to rent, or at least they used to.
If you're planning to spend a few days in the Valley, I go along with the others and try and stay in the Valley if you can. In September, the weather is just fine for camping if you have room to bring your gear. If not, Yosemite Lodge is a step up, but serviceable for walking/touring needs, and the Ahwahnee just brings a smile to my face it's such a pleasant place.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM

We stayed at the Tenaya about a year and a half ago. It was a nice place - comfortable rooms, nice linens, nice grounds. It was November so it was too cold to use the outdoor pool area, but it looked really nice. There are 2 restaurants on site, plus a small cafe where you can get coffee, sandwiches, and so on. We found the restaurants and cafe to be rather pricey - $15 for a boxed lunch, $9 for a bowl of soup were 2 things that stuck in my mind. There isn't much to the town of Fish Camp, but there are some more dining options in the next town down the hill - I think it's called Oakhurst or something like that. I think it's about a 25-30 minute drive.

The drive into Yosemite Valley was very beautiful, but it was pretty long. The drive back to Tenaya got pretty tiring after wandering around the valley all day.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
cd

Lesg
We just returned two weeks ago from this area and stayed at Yosemite Lodge. The location is perfect and the lodge is very clean. It did bother us not to have TV or radio but I would stay there again for the location. Be sure to go to Mariposa Grove while there and hike thru all the Giant Sequois! The Grove is beautiful.
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:47 PM

If you can't get into Tenaya, try also the Curry cabins. They're by no means luxurious, but you're right in the valley.

I enjoyed Mariposa Grove as well and our hike from Glacier Point back down to the Valley (good all-day hike). Take a one way bus to Glacier Point and you'll see the signs. You will pass Vernal & Nevada Falls, but both may be dried up by then (it was in October 2001 when we were there).

If you have the time, take a day to go to Tuolumne Meadows & Tioga Pass area, then out the park to Mono Lake. The tufas are unreal!
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:03 AM
LRK

We're spending 3 nights in Yosemite this summer, and after talking with friends who went last summer, I opted to stay a bit further away from the Park in order to have a pool and A/C. It was 117 degrees in the shade last summer and they really suffered without a bit of the ol' mod cons...I am also travelling with kids, so I HAVE to think about creature comforts! Also, check out TripAdvisor.com for a negative comments on Tenaya Lodge....