Reload this Page >

Yosemite / Curry Village Cabins

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Shelia

Has anyone stayed in the Curry Villiage Cabins with water and bathroom? Just made a reservation for mid Oct since the Lodge had no rooms. Is the Yosemite Lodge the better choice if a room becomes available?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM
jeanne

I love the atmospher at Curry Village. Nice outdoor restaurants,pool and close to the river. I'd stay there again.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Katy

I immensely dislike Curry Village. The tent cabins are just inches from one another, packed in like sardines, so you hear your neighbors quite a bit. If you're going on a weekday in October, maybe it won't be quite so crowded, but it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a little more privacy and quiet, I'd go for the Lodge. If you don't mind rustic and tightly packed, Curry Village will suffice.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:39 PM
utahtea

Katy,

There is a big difference between the cabins with bathrooms and the tent cabins.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/html/accom_curry.html

Utahtea

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:38 AM
xxx

As a former park employee, I can give you some insight. The cabins with bath are the same in Curry as they are in the Lodge area. The Curry cabins are in an area which is separate from the tent cabins, so crowding and noise is not a concern. They are small, nothing fancy, but will meet your needs.

I personally preferred Curry to the Lodge area, mainly because there are so many more trees in the area, and you are farther removed from the road and traffic. Many of the trees in the Lodge area were felled for the enormous parking lots. Most tour groups stay in Lodge accommodations and they arrive in BIG buses. These tours also like to park in front of Yosemite Falls, which is near the Lodge, so there is really quite a bit of mass transit and group activity in the area. Curry is where more individuals and families stay.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:28 AM
J Correa

It's good to know that there is a difference between the tent cabins and regular cabins at Curry Village. My husband and I were at Yosemite last fall - staying outside the valley - and were looking at the different accomodations in the valley. We saw Curry Village and thought it was awful - all the tent cabins so close, no space, food lockers so far from the cabins, etc. I guess we only saw the tent cabin area and missed the regular cabins.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:34 AM
xxx

Yes, the Curry cabins are more or less right behind the cafeteria, pool and ranger amphitheater. The tent village is farther removed.

Be aware though, that the cabins are really just one tiny room with some beds and a small bath. Not even charmingly rustic, but then again, IMO, none of the accommodations within the valley fit that description. They are heavily used and utilitarian in style.

Just FYI, if you ever wonder why it's nearly impossible to book a lodge room at Yosemite Lodge, again, thank the tour groups. They book the rooms in blocks a year in advance and the general public has virtually no chance or occupying one -- unless you're with a tour group, of course.

Just another "insider" tip. I worked at the Lodge, so I know.