Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite CA (Overnight) in July - Good or Bad Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is an overnight visit to Yosemite at this time of year a good idea? Is it too crowded? And where is a good central location to stay overnight so that main attractions are within reach? Are the trams a better way of getting around as opposed to driving? Thanks all
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Yosemite is almost always a good idea. It'll be very crowded in July, but if you go a couple of miles along a trail, the crowds thin out. There is the Lodge and the Awahnee in the valley, as well as numerous campsites, but if you're talking about this July, everything is probably booked up. The buses are definitely better than driving in July. The valley gets so crowded that there's no place to park anywhere.
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM

I was about to write, almost word for word, everything that Lifelist just wrote. Yosemite is one of my favorite places to visit, and the fact that crowds are there becomes increasingly irrelevant to its awe-inspiring beauty as you spend more time looking at the scenery instead of an available parking space.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM

The high country doesn't get that crowded during the summer.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"And where is a good central location to stay overnight so that main attractions are within reach?"

In the Valley -- but more than likely you won't find any availability. There are two motels in El Portal which are not too long a drive from the Valley (Yosemite View, and Cedar Lodge) - but they also book up far in advance, (as well as some condos/homes in Yosemite West). Try to get a room in the Valley first. If no luck w/ that, try in El Portal and then keep checking for cancellations in the Valley. If you can't get EITHER El Portal or inside the park . . . skip Yosemite and go to Sequoia/Kings Canyon instead.

All the other towns w/ lodging 'near' Yosemite are loooooong drives from the Valley and there is heavy traffic in summer.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM

There are too many links that are just middle men.

Here's the link for the park.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodging.aspx

The government link for the park.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/lodging.aspx
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Just an aside: are you from Utrecht, Netherlands? We really loved it there. Stayed there twice instead of A'dam when we were in Holland.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I asked the same thing in another thread, and no, he's not from Holland.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM

If you can't get in the park lodging and want to try for El Portal near the west entrance (Arch Rock) here is the link:

http://www.yosemiteresorts.us/

Keep in mind that people make their reservations up to a year in advance and Yosemite has a very liberal cancellation policy so cancellations are common. Keep checking the yosemite park link for possible openings.
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Many times Curry Village has cancellations and you can slide in. If you arrive early in the day - you have a better chance - and put your name in. Otherwise - if you have to - drive to outside of the park for the evening. http://www.nationalparkreservations....FWQ0QgodCEP3RQ
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for suggestions & help.

And, no Charnees, I'm not from the Netherlands, but have been to Utrecht too. Lovely town with its sunken canals, particularly the Niewe Gracht (New Canal) early morning after the rain! Close to A'dam too but much less hectic!
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM

New Utrecht Avenue, New York?
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Depends on what day you're talking about whether you can get a reservation. I just checked for, say, the 11th, and there's a spot at the Ahwahnee for that night. Other options are Wawona, which is outside the Valley, but inside the park. I confess never having stayed at the Wawona, but it is pretty close in proximity to the Valley, and it is a beautiful historic property.

I'd even say stay at Tenaya Lodge, which is in Fish Camp just outside the entrance (south on 41) if you have no other options. I've stayed there a few times (including a retreat this last weekend) and it's about 45 minutes drive to the Valley, not bad, and great bike rides and trails to falls in that area too.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks all. have done some research and have decided not to take on Yosemite on this trip.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Hey sf7307,

No, nothing to do with New Utrecht Ave in Brooklyn or the high school of the same name. Nice try though [smile].
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hey sf7307,

If you can translate this, you'll have your answer. Ik hou veel van nederland en ben dree keer op vakantie in nederland geweest. Mijn gebruikersnaamen zijn altijd iets uit nederland.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM

We stayed at a lovely B&B near Groveland last year for our anniversary - Blackberry Inn. It is about 45 minutes outside the gate. We enjoyed eating in the old hotel restaurants in Groveland and there is a nice coffee place there.

This year we are taking my Dad and staying two nights at Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite Westgate Lodge. Two Queens are about $200. It is so expensive to stay in the valley and so difficult, I don't even try any more. There online reservation system doesn't work very well so just call:

http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=427