Yosemite and something else

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I, mid 60s, are thinking of a northern California vacation in July. We thought of flying to SF then driving to Yosemite. We'd spend about a week, total, in California. We know that 2 days is our limit for the park (we like to stroll, look at nature, wildlife, but not hike or camp).

So I am looking for suggestions on where else to go. We have been to SF many times and even though we love it, we don't really want to spend much time there on this trip. Is Sacramento and the surrounding area interesting to visit? What about the drive between Yosemite and Lake Tahoe?

We love the California coast and have been there many times - driving North to South, hanging out in the Monterey area, etc, and we'd like something a little different for this trip.

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:14 AM

Sequoia National Park or even Lassen National Park would be a couple of good options too. I suspect it's going to be hard to get lodging at Yosemite, this late in the game, and probably for the other two as well. Yosemite is super crowded. I think this has been a lighter snow year there, so the waterfalls may not be running in July(i'm not sure)
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:31 AM

I think the falls are usually mostly trickles in July at any year.
North of SF to Mendocino.
Napa Valley.
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Consider this:

*Drive to Yosemite via scenic Highway 49 with its charming gold rush towns (San Andreas, Angels Camp, Columbia, etc.).
*Leaving Yosemite, drive over Tioga Pass (Highway 120) to Mono Lake and Bodie Historic Park (a very well-preserved ghost town).
*Drive north on scenic Highway 395 to Lake Tahoe and from there to San Francisco and home.

HTtY
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Better get working on reservations to stay in Yosemite. Places book up a year in advance for the popular summer season.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM

HTTY has some good advise. If you want to see some California gold rush history, Nevada City (north of Auburn on hwy 49) is cute and the Empire Mine Park is very interesting. Coloma (on Hwy 49 north of Placervile) is the sight of Sutter's Mill along the south fork of the American River. The whole area is seeped in history, colorful towns and beautiful vistas. Hwy 49 also passes through some wonderful wine producing areas. The Shenedoah area just east of Plymouth ( Shenendoah Road) has some beautiful wineries along with great wine.

Mono Lake is very interesting with the tufa formations.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you spent any time in Sacramento? I like Old Town including the California Railroad Museum. The state capitol and the grounds are worth visiting.
My favorite place to stay in Sacramento is the HI hostel at the NW corner of 10th & H, across the street from City Hall.
They do have private rooms in the second oldest Victorian mansion in the city. They also have a kitchen if you would like to cook instead of going out to eat.
You might look into flying to SMF and renting the car there instead of SFO.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would go along with HTTY and Barb. Yosemite, over Tioga Pass, then up to Lake Tahoe. We like the north shore of Tahoe.
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could do a quick look at Sacramento on your way back to SF. But don't spend the night. Tahoe is so much better.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM

Sacramento will be hot in July. But there are lots of other options - I like the eastern Sierra. There is Bodie (a ghost town - very interesting but it is a rough drive), Mono Lake, hot springs, and beautiful scenery.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:49 AM

This is Yosemite's 'offical' booking service.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/reservations.aspx

Most likely, it will be full. However, there are always cancellations, so you need to check back every day.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Book (or try to book) Yosemite Lodge at the Falls ASAP (like TODAY). Most likely there is no availability but try.

If nothing there - then try either the Yosemite View Lodge or Cedar Lodge in El Portal (they also may be booked solid this late) .

Any other accommodations will be a very long drive from Yosemite Valley. (there are other accommodations in the park - Wawona etc. but they are most likely also booked up and are quite a drive from the valley) You have a short time for the park and don't want to spend 90 minutes or more each way driving back and forth.

Since you'll already be in the Sierra - I'd focus your trip in the foothills/mountains. IMO Sequoia is too far from SF to make a lot of sense. Gold Rush country, Yosemite, Bodie and Lake Tahow would be a GREAT week.

But book your Yosemite room first whatever dates you can get during your time frame. Then you can plan the rest of the itinerary around that.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Book (or try to book) Yosemite Lodge at the Falls ASAP (like TODAY). Most likely there is no availability but try.

I so agree. The central location makes this place our favorite place to stay in Yosemite. When they say they are booked up, I call every day until a room comes open. So far, calls during the early evening have brought me good luck.

HTtY