Search

Yosemite Agenda

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite Agenda

We will be driving to Yosemite from Lake Tahoe on Wednesday, April 23. We will be staying at Yosemite Lodge the 23rd and 24th. Since our time at the park will be limited to a day and a half, does anybody have any suggestions on an agenda for that time? Must-sees and dos?
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:07 PM

You'll not be able to miss Yosemite Falls as they are right by the lodge. Hike up to the base, or maybe do part of the Yosemite falls trip.

I also strongly suggest doing part of the Mist Trail. The falls may be thunderous with runoff, so do bring a good anorak or rain jacket, and a water bottle, it's steep. My knees like it best when I bring a hiking pole too.

Poke your head into the Ahwahnee. It's one of the great Lodges of the American West. The archtecture is neat. The bar has some nifty pictures of Golden Age climbers and some of their gear. There is also a huge fireplace in the loungish area near the restaurant, that's nice too.

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:58 PM

It is very likely Tioga Pass will not be open so be prepared for a long drive. Tahoe down into the Sacramento / San Joaquin Valley and then up to Yosemite - or south along hwy 49 - scenic but a slow, winding road.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 11:19 PM

Tioga Pass WILL NOT BE OPEN. There is not doubt about it. We will be lucky if it opens by the end of May.

It's not that far going around as long as you know ahead of time and head over Hwy 50 to Hwy 49 to Hwy 120 and enter in the west entrance.

The short hike to Yosemite Falls, ride the shuttle buses all around, and hike to Vernal Falls via the Mist Trial are all do able in your time frame.

Utahtea
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:09 AM

Definitely climb Vernal Fall (but be forewarned you have to walk up more than 700 steps to accomplish this!).
Also, make sure you drive to both Glacier Point and Washburn Point. They're near each other. Most visitors only go to Glacier, but Washburn is equally as spectacular if not more so.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Howard R,

Do you think Glacier Point will be open by the end of April?

Also if you do hike the mist trail up to Vernal Falls take something to keep you from getting wet! They don't call it the mist trail for nothing!

Utahtea
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Is the ice rink in Curry still open? That is one of our our favorite activities. i would check the park infor website and plan to visit if it is.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Good point, utahtea. I'm not sure about the access to Glacier and Washburn in late April. 'Twould be too bad if they couldn't get there.
As far as the mist, it didn't bother us at all. More important, make sure you have footwear that won't make you slide or slip as you climb up to Vernal Fall and on the return down.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Howard R,

I've done the mist trail many times and sometimes I've stayed as dry as a bone and other times it was like it was pouring rain and we could hardly see where I was going. April is one of those WET months where you can get drenched!

April is also my favorite time to go because the waterfalls are in their full glory!

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:08 AM
kam

Do the Glacier Point tour if it is accesssible. It was one of the highlights of our last trip to Yosemnite.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Check these links --

www.nps.gov/yose/trip/inyose.htm
for what to see.

www.nps.gov/yose/now/conditions.htm
for latest news on openings.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Utahtea, I will certainly bow to your greater experience! We've only been there in the summer. I can only imagine how much more magnificent the falls are in the spring.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Don...

Just as a reminder, do bring pocket flashlights to carry after dusk. Yosemite is not a very well lit park (which is great because you get to see beautiful stars that way) but getting around at night is more exciting that way, should you decide to have an evening walk from Yosemite Village to the lodge, it gets pitch black.

Also, *hike* was too strong a word to describe the walk to the base of Yosemite Falls, it's a quarter mile MAX, on level ground.

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

utahtea, you say that April is your favorite time to visit, what kind of weather can I expect?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:16 PM

Don,

Anywhere from 70's to freezing and snow. It can snow in April but it's not that common.

I have hiked the mist trail up to Vernal Falls in April in shorts on more than one occasion. We've also been there in mid-May and had 2" of snow. It will get cool to cold at night even with warm days. Take clothes that you can layer.

As you get closer to the date check weather.com and you will beable to get a much better idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Utahtea