Yellowstone with dog? need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take a road trip to Yellowstone and don't know if we should bring our lab. Our preference would be to bring him but we're not sure if there would be times we'd have to leave him to see certain sites or walk throgh various trails - and if we want to do some things without him, where would he stay?

We need advice where to stay (camp/lodge/etc) if dog comes along. If you brought your dog, were there things you felt you missed out on? What advice do you have for someone who would bring their four legged friend?

Were hoping to do this trip in May, so there may be additional challenges seeing as some locations aren't open yet for the season... you're advice will help us make some decisions. Thanks, and happy travels!

Ps. Is there a pet friendly travelers forum?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM

Take a look at the park regulations for Yellowstone. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/pets.htm

You must keep your pet crated, caged or on a short leash at all times. You may not take the pet any further than 100 feet from roads, parking lots or campgrounds. You may not leave your pet unattended in a vehicle except to look at something from the road or parking lot. There are no kennels at the park. Thus, you would not be able to hike, walk through Mammoth Hot Springs, go inside a Visitor's Center, view Old Faithful, etc. Your visit would be limited to driving through the park and seeing what you could from the road.

If you really want to see Yellowstone National Park, then you will do yourself and your dog a favor by leaving him at home.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM

Going to Yellowstone with a dog takes some planning, but is worth doing, according to my blogging friends at Take Paws. Take a look at their post about their visit last year with their two big dogs: http://www.gopetfriendlyblog.com/201...n-yellowstone/ I haven't been to Yellowstone yet with our dog Chloe, but I look forward to going.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM

Very few National Parks are "Dog Friendly" I would just leave the dog in Jackson at a Kennel if you must take it. There are wild animals everywhere in Yellowstone. I would think most dogs would bark a ton, if allowed to go there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM

The only place the people in that blog let their dogs out was outside of Yellowstone. Basically they just drove around the park and saw the sights from their windshield, except when they left them in the rv to see Old Faithful.

If you want to see anything of Yellowstone from outside of your car, you'll have to leave the dog at home or board him outside the park. I too think bringing dogs someplace is fun, but there are some places where it doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM

I worked in Yellowstone for 2 years and it's not really pet friendly or safe. Are you travelling by RV? Because most park accommodations are full-they need to be booked 9-12 mos in advance (see Xanterra website-they are the current concessionaire). You certainly don't want your beloved Lab to fall into a hot pot or other thermal feature-I'd leave him home.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I too agree, the dog should stay home or at a kennel to get the most of our trip. Thanks for all the feedback. @dogjaunt - as a dog owner and lover - the blog had some great ideas and its good to read about dog friendly travels. Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:21 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My pup's first kennel experience was at the Grand Canyon. I think it was harder for me than for him. We did have a great time traveling out west but I agree that "camp" is the best idea. He will be safe and you have the chance to experience the park(s). We all had a good time on the drive out and around and back but it was kennel time during NP time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM

I love my dog and enjoyed reading this, just to know...good advice to leave at home or kennel in Jackson, where the views are gorgeous.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM

I love my dog and enjoyed reading this, just to know...good advice to leave at home or kennel in Jackson, where the views are gorgeous.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM

didn't mean it twice. The computer had fodors error pop up that I've never seen before. wierd.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There are quite a few areas where dogs might be tempted to run around and could end up in a lot of trouble.

Anywhere in the area of Old Faithful. There are wooden ramps and a dog that might jump off would get burned very badly.

There are numerous areas like this. Grand Prismatic sprint, etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM

I have reservations in a cabin and was planning on leaving my dog in his kennel while we are gone. Is that not possible?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Also it was mentioned above that they don't allow dogs left in vehicles? We will be there the first week of June. He certainly wouldn't get overheated. Is there some kind of rule about that?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Casi,

I would imagine if you left your dog all day in his kennel in your cabin he will have to do his business in there. Keep in mind you could be delayed by traffic and buffalo jams within the park and what you thought would only take an hour could take several hours. Will your dog bark if left alone in a strange place with noises outside? If so, you might find you won't be able to leave him every day.

It looks like you can leave your dog in your vehicle but don't be fooled, vehicles can get very hot even in early June! http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Utahtea
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Does the cabin allow pets?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Basically, I would say to leave him home. I have taken my dog a few times up to Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone. There are some park lodging options (very few) that allow dogs, but you must reserve far ahead and pay extra. Coulter Bay Cabins, Signal Mtn, Jackson Lake Lodge. Usually they have a rule however, that you cannot leave the pet in the room unattended. Damage, barking......disturbing other guests.

When I've taken my dog, it has limited my visit, but then I've been there many, many times and don't have to go see everything. Hanging out at the campground, leaving him in his crate in the cabin.

Again, remember the regs - no dogs off leash, outside parking lots or campgrounds. Not fun for a lab! Not fun for afirst time Yellowstone visitor either.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Casi, if you read the link that Utahtea provided, you will see that you may ONLY leave your pet in a vehicle while you are viewing attractions near roads and parking areas. This does not mean you can leave the dog in the car while you go through the Visitor Center or walk over to Old Faithful or take a hike. Basically, you can leave your dog in the car only long enough to get out and look at some scenery.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leaving your dog in some strange kennel vs. at/in the home he knows? Not good IMO but to each their own.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM

Not unless you carry a gun. I am from Montana and although the park looks pretty and peaceful it is filled with deadly animals. Dogs and children attract bears, wolves and mountain lions. Whom ever tells you I am wrong has either been lucky or does not live in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -