Search

Yellowstone -- Where to Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone -- Where to Stay?

Hi,

I am planning a trip in September (good month?) to Yellowstone, etc. I know the NP is huge, and so I am hoping someone can give me some recommendations as to what areas to choose to see and where to stay. I am thinking we will probably stay in at least 2 different locations for 2 or so nights each. I would like to stay inside the park if that is possible. We stayed at Bright Angel cabins in the Grand Canyon last year and they were perfect. Is there anything like that in Yellowstone?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hi Celianne1 - yes, September is a great time to visit Yellowstone. Some of the crowds are gone and the weather is very pleasant. I was there last fall at end of September. You may want to check the national park website for closings of restaurants and gift shops. Some were closing when we went there. As far as lodging, yes, there are places inside the park as well as outside in West Yellowstone. Just depends on your budget and what kind of experience you want. I think if you do a search on this forum, you'll find lots of good information.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM

We stayed at Mammoth Hotel in Yellowstone park. Nothing at all fancy in the way of rooms...somewhat "campish" but adequate. The neat thing is the carribou walk right up to your windows at times ( ground floor rooms).
We went in Dec. just before Christmas one year with our two teenage sons. There is an ice skating rink, a general store and souvenir store, a lodge game/tv room and a fancy restaurant. (Come in in your ski clothes etc., but the service and some of the food is somewhat elite, and the prices reflect the same). We went to a greasy spoon in Yellowstone (town, not park) one night that was OK too.
But the real enjoyment is snowmobiling on the roads (closed to cars in the winter), seeing all the animals in their natural habit and the mudd pots, geyers and water falls...and having Buffalo Burgers in West Yellowstone! They have 'warming huts' throughout the park to get some chilli or hot chocolate and warm up by the fire. Also, the snowmobiles have hand warmers and toe warmers. They rent all the gear/clothes as well. You'll have a ball, no matter when you go!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:55 PM

Two nights in the Old Faithful area is a must. Our first time we had reservations at Old Faithful and Roosevelt but they messed up our reservations and we ended up with one night at Mammoth which ended up being great as far as we were concerned. We stayed at Roosevelt to do the Stage Coach ride and Chuck Wagon dinner which was a lot of fun.

Utahtea