Yellowstone Natl Park

Dec 26th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Gene Felder

Yellowstone Natl Park

My wife and I have never been to Yellowstone Natl Park. We thought that some time in 2003 we would fly into Bozeman, Montana and take a couple day safari. We like to hike, but are not into camping; actually we like fine dining too. Any advice?

Dec 26th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Paul Rabe

Check this URL:

www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/hike.htm

Dec 26th, 2002, 04:55 PM
ann

Went to Yellowstone about 3 years ago, and it was more beautiful, and more fun than I'd ever imagined. We stayed at the new Snow Lodge (is that it? not sure of the name anymore) right next to the famous Yellowstone Lodge, and our rooms were great. I'd definitely stay there again; even tho Yellowstone Lodge is more expensive, the newer lodge is more comfortable, and yes, probably cleaner because of its newness. All of the park is gorgeous,but I was most drawn to the northern part of the park, and its magnificent scenery. Have a great time.

Dec 27th, 2002, 05:17 AM
JoAnn

Our mistake this year was in NOT planning enough time to see all there is to see at YNP. So do what our daughter and her friends did--stay in at least two different lodges in YNP and explore each area to the best of your ability. The park is much bigger than we thought and has so much to offer in the way of scenery and wildlife. It is beautiful.

Dec 27th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Kathy

I would recommend the Old Faithful Inn but you had better hurry and book a room if you want to go in 2003. There are great hikes all over Yellowstone. The gift stores sell books that detail some of the many hikes. Don't expect "fine dining" in Yellowstone. Some restaurants are nicer than others but the food is pretty average.

Dec 28th, 2002, 03:38 PM
steve

YNP is a big national park. Count on quite a bit of time to drive around it.

We stayed at the Old Faithful LODGE cabins. About $55 for ones with bath. Very close to Old Faithful Geyser. Where ever you decide to stay at the park, you need to make reservations as soon as you know which dates you will be there

Dec 29th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Julie

We stayed at Lake Yellowstone Lodge last summer and it was very nice and the restaurant was pretty good. We loved the Canyon Area--beautiful waterfalls and rock formations.

Also, if you plan to go to Montana first, I'd highly recommend seeing the Lewis and Clark Caves. You must go on a tour (can get tickets at the entrance), but it's well worth it.

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
GOL

YNP is huge, and as others have said you need a few days. Other tips

Stay inside the park, not outside (i.e., Bozeman, W.Yellowstone).

Make reservations NOW. Keep trying as cancellations occur frequently.

Check the gov's website www.nps.gov\yell and request a trip planner to be mailed (snail) to you

You are in the area: Grand Teton is just south and well worth a visit.

I second the stay-at->1-location.

Prepare well - know what to expect so you can plan your day(s)

Dec 30th, 2002, 06:23 PM
RooseveltGal

Looks like you can get some lodging deals if you book early & stay early in the season.

Here's one link:
http://64.33.95.107/lake_yellowstone/default.htm

EARLY BIRD SPECIALS

Each spring Xanterra Parks & Resorts offers a series of discounted rates on select room types at select locations during specific time periods. These rates represent savings of as much as 40% off the regular prices and must be booked prior to April 1st. Click on the link to make a reservation or call 307.344.7311.

Grant Village Early Bird Special - May 23, 2003 - May 29, 2003

Lake Yellowstone Hotel Early Bird Special - May 16, 2003 - May 22, 2003

Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel Early Bird Special - May 2, 2003 - May 15, 2003

Old Faithful Inn Early Bird Special - May 9, 2003 - May 15, 2003

Old Faithful Snow Lodge Early Bird Special - May 2, 2003 - May 15, 2003

Dec 31st, 2002, 03:22 PM
michelle

You'll love Yellowstone! I always try to stay at least one night at the Rainbow Ranch (www.rainbowranch.com) in West Yellowstone outside of the park. It's pricey, but the lodge is gorgeous and the have an amazing restaurant.