Yellowstone Reservations -- Scared!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made reservations (August) for 2 nights each at: Old Faithful Inn, Mammoth Hot Springs (cabin) and Lake Lodge - "Western" Cabin. I'm not too worried about the first 2, but I have read some really bad reviews on the Lake Lodge cabins and am having second (and third) thoughts.

Can anyone suggest an alternative (Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins?) for the Lake Lodge. Anyone have anything positive to say about it?!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:47 PM

If they are the rows of little yellow cabins that look like smoke houses on cinder roads, ours was the worst place I've ever stayed. Do something else!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Personally, I would prefer to stay two nights in Canyon than at the Lake. It is not too far between Canyon & the Lake and I enjoyed the activities around Canyon better. We drove to the Lake one evening for dinner, but spent the rest of the time touring the Canyon area. We stayed in a cabin that was not the nicest place I have ever stayed, but it wasn't awful either. Unless you intend to do some boating, I don't know the appeal of Lake Yellowstone.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Carolyn. I'm not sure what they look like (just made them with xanterra)but I suspect they are the same...

Caniac, i will look into the Canyon area. The agent at xanterra suggested the Lake area....
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM

I too have just made reservations at the canyon lodge area in the pioneer cabin and am a little apprehensive also since seeing the pictures on the internet site. I have a friend at work that have stayed in some cabins there years ago and she said it was very basic and to take sleeping bags to put on the bed. I figure that we will only be sleeping in the room for 8 hrs and then will be outside enjoying the park.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:03 AM
cd

We stayed at Canyon Lodge (there are two Canyon lodges) The one we stayed in was built just a few years ago and very nice and spacious. We stayed there two nights and at Old Faithful Inn two nights and loved it.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Celiaanne1, From the photos at the travelyellowstone.com site, the Lake Lodge Western Cabins look very much like the Canyon Lodge Western Cabin we stayed in last summer. Like another poster said, it wasn't a 5* but it wasn't awful either. Basic and clean, quiet, plenty of hot water for showers. I also agree that Canyon is a more central location than Lake Lodge.

I think anyone staying in the park needs to adjust their expectations for lodgings. The nicest places are equivalent to a Hampton Inn so someone expecting a resort is going to be disappointed.

It really is too bad that Xanterra can't spiff their places up a bit, but it is what it is. The beauty is in the park, not the lodging.