Yellowstone NP planning questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a family trip (2 adults, 2 eight year old boys) to Yellowstone NP in the summer of 2018. I have guide books and am starting to get overwhelmed, we are used to city living, city accommodations and travel, we have never visited a NP. I know Yellowstone will be amazing and we would like to do some easy hiking while we are there. I have secured accommodations at Canyon Lodge (cabin) for 2 nights and then 3 nights at the Old Faithful Inn. I was planning on flying In and out of Jackson with a day or two there to visit Grand Tetons NP. I know Yellowstone is big and that there is traffic in the summer, and I am trying to determine a few things at a High level.

Is it worth visiting the Grizzly & Wolf discovery center? I was thinking that this could be educational and a unique experience for my kids?
CODY- is it worth a visit for the kids?
Can you enter and leave the park a few times without paying fees every time?
Thoughts on the Canyon Lodge Cabin accommodations? Some say they are fine, other books say the location isn’t great and it is kind of rough sleeping in them?
Any insight on the above questions/ or links to trip reports is welcome. I am beyond excited to introduce my kids to the NP system and I know we will spend a lot of time in the car but I want it to be time well spent and the destinations worth it.
Thank you.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 02:22 AM

> Can you enter and leave the park a few times
> without paying fees every time?

Your one-time entry fee allows that car, and its occupants, to leave and re-enter the park an unlimited number of times for one week from date of purchase.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fees.htm

In other words, for $50, your entire family can enjoy unlimited access to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons NPs for one week. Compare that to the costs of entrance fees at amusement parks.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 07:29 AM

The Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center is well worth the time. Allow enough time to watch the bear and wolf feedings (the thieving ravens are hilarious), and to see a film about the wolves. I was interested to learn that this site is also a test grounds for bear-proof containers.

The exhibits inside are also very educational, make sure the kids stop and try to identify bear scar based on their diet at certain seasons.

Welcome to the National Park system, there is SO much to experience and appreciate.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 01:38 PM

If you click on my user name you will find my trip reports for Yellowstone, GTNP, and Jackson. The cabins at Canyon are excellent. Cody and the Buffalo Bill Center/Museum are amazing. Try to save for a rainy day if you can. Check out the summer park newsletter at nps.gov. Do it this summer to get ideas for next year. It lists all of the hikes you might want to do, types go ranger talks, info on the junior ranger program, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 01:41 PM

forgot to add--we make it a point to visit an NP on almost every vacation we do. You will love it! The only issue is no TV, limited to no wifi, and no swimming pools. But the animals are amazing! The kids will like it.
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 03:44 AM

Yellowstone is amazing. Try not to get overwhelmed with too much information. You have your reservations, so yippee!

It's great that you scored rooms at Old Faithful Inn. It's an amazing place. They have a couple of free tours about the hotel during the day, if you have time. It's so interesting and unique. While staying there, you can just go up to the second floor balcony and sit on one of the benches and watch Old Faithful erupt. Great thing to do early in the morning with your coffee before heading out for the day. The Hamilton's store outside the hotel is a good place for reasonably priced breakfasts. There's a lot to see right in the Old Faithful area.

One thing the boys would surely love is the Old West Cookout. Those require advance reservations, so check it out.

Picking which hikes to take is always an important thing for me. I suggest reading up on some of them and seeing which appeal most to you. Also check out the scheduled guided ranger walks in different areas. Those are nice, too, and kids really get into them.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 11:38 AM

With regards to what Jayne1923 said; the cookout leaves out of Roosevelt which is a good 2 hour drive from old faithful and by no means cheap! I agree with almost everything she said about OFI BUT for us, they were dirty and shabby at best. We thought they were the pits. Depends on what's important to you. Hiking trails were good enough. Go with other people, more noise the better. We enjoyed the ones in glacier more. But always always carry bear spray