Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any nice hotels in Jackson Hole for less thatn $200 a night for a couple??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I had to make last minute travel plans (couldn't get a passport in time) and are headed to Jackson Hole, WY
in less then a week. Has anyone found a nice hotel at a reasonable rate?? Also, any advice about the best things to do in Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, etc. would be great! Thanks!!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM

There are plenty of places for under #200 in Jackson. However, I'm not sure about availability this time of the year.
Keep in mind, however, that Jackson is convenient to the Teton, but the drive to Yellowstone will be time consuming. Check out sites north of Jackson.
As for things to do, pick up a copy of Frommer's "Yellowstone & Grand Tetons National Parks." It'll be $11 well spent and should answer all your questions about what to see and do.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Do a search on here for the parks - lots of info.

Both parks have official govt. national parks websites - google them.

They have lots of info on what to see & do, tips on weather, maps, dining/food in the park. They also have opening/closing dates for areas of Yellowstone, as well as times for activities.

If you look at the park reservations & fees link, it will provide info on the historic lodges. Even if you don't want to stay in the park (or no rooms avail) they are said to be neat places to see. There is info on the food available (I think with prices). It is a long drive into the park, so, eating at the park facilities might be convenient (have not been there - so no advice on the food - it gets mixed reviews).

Seeing the geysers, hiking, wildlife viewing are top to do picks.

Near Grand Teton, float/rafting trips are available. Horseback riding is avail at/near both parks.

Consider staying in Yellowstone or the city of West Yellowstone for part of your trip. Driving in Yellowstone Park is slow. It is a drive from the park entrances (1/2 hr - 1 1/2 hr or more) to the main attractions (and between them). So, driving to the park from Jackson will really limit what you are able to do in the park, if you stay in Jackson for the Yellowstone part of your trip.

I am going to Yellowstone/GTNP/Glacier after you, so I have been looking for info for some time.

Please look at the safety info on the park websites regarding animals (bears, etc,) and driving. Animals wander into the roads and hitting them with a vehicle (especially early AM or when nearing dark) is a real danger.

Don't forget SPF lotion, insect repellant and camera.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Jed

It may be too late to learn about Priceline and bid for a room, but that would be a great resource for next time. Of course, if you know how to do it, or find someone who could help you, it would save you a lot of money. PL has several options for Jackson Hole.

http://tinyurl.com/yvu5jw
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM

If none of the other suggestions work for you try the Davy Jackson b and b. It was just fine. We loved the Signal Mountain lodge in GTNP, too.