Yellowstone Lodging Suggestions during Covid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2020, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for the last week in September to Yellowstone, after a few days in the Tetons. In reading a lot of the threads for Yellowstone it seems the best option would be to split time between the North and the South, however that really isn't much of an option with Covid and limited locations open. We were trying to avoid staying around Old Faithful since that is obviously going to be the more populated area but that is the furthest "south" you can really get. We were thinking 3 nights in either Lake area or the Canyon area and then 2 nights in Mammoth. However, I just stumbled upon a driving map with hours and it's about 2 hours from Lake or Canyon to Old Faithful, so now I'm thinking 1 night in Old Faithful may be needed. I think the only thing we are going to schedule is a horseback riding tour in canyon, other than that we are planning on just hiking around (self-touring) keeping flexible to shift as needed. So staying in an areas that allows that would be helpful.

Do you think it is a must to not waste drive time and spend the night in the Old Faithful area?
Which is a better location (or hotel for that matter) the Lake Inn or Canyon Inn?
Or where would you stay if you had 5 nights in the park?
I also welcome suggestions on things to do? I've seen several river floats that sound nice but I think late September may be a bit too cold for that.

Thank you!
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 07:31 AM

We like to go to Yellowstone in September. However, things do start shutting down then and fall is in full swing; by mid-month, boating services shut down. So yes, I think rafting shouldn't be on your list. Even if the roads are not busy, it takes a looooooong time to drive from place to place. Your times listed are, I think, for no traffic. We normally stay in West Yellowstone, where we can spend a day in one section of the park; but if I could stay in park, that would be better. Split the stay up into north and south lodging. Mammoth (or Gardner outside the north entrance) and Lake would work. Canyon might be a good compromise single location. We've only stayed at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge in park, so can't comment on other park lodging.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 07:49 AM

Just wanting to add - for us, the Lake Hotel area is a bit our of the way, although the Lodge itself looks really nice. Come back and let us know where you did stay and how you liked it.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 12:10 PM

Canyon horseback rides operate through September 7th https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...res/saddle-up/

Yes the Old Faithful area is crowded but it's nice to stay there so you can experience it in the early morning and evening when it's much quieter.

Either Canyon or Lake would give you convenient access to Hayden Valley for wildlife watching early and late.

I would definitely split your stay between Mammoth/Gardiner and one (or more) of the 3 lodges in the southern part of the park.

Be prepared for the possibility of snow in late September.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! I ended up booking 1 night at the Old Faithful Inn, 2 nights in Canyon and 2 nights in Mammoth. The reservations do fill up fast, so that ended up being what was left that worked with our scheduled. I'm not super excited to stay at the Old Faithful Inn since there's only one section open and it seems a bit dated especially for the cost, so I'll keep checking back to see if I can get lucky and get a room at the snow lodge.

@Patty: There isn't any other lodging besides Grant Village in the southern region, is there? I didn't see anything and Grant Village is closed.

I'm sure everything will work out wonderfully, I'm super excited for this trip. Thanks everyone!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 08:44 AM

Grant is the southernmost lodge and is closed this year. I actually don't like the location as it's not really convenient to much. I like the Old Faithful/Canyon combo. Have a great trip!