Old Apr 26th, 1997, 06:14 PM
Bob Levy

Yellowstone lodging

Does anyone know anything about the following places
to stay in Yellowstone: Canyon Lodge & Cabins,
Lake lodge & cabins, Grant Village, Old Faithful
Inn. We are considering staying in two different
parts of the park. Would appreciate any feedback
on these areas,or where to stay in general. Thanks.

Old Apr 27th, 1997, 07:35 PM
mark salomon

Get a map of Yellowstone. If you divide the park up in quadrants, approximately 3 of the 4 quadrants suffered serious fire damage. I'd stay away from Canyon (food is also terrible); Old Faithful is a wonderful lodge (spared from direct fire damage-barely). The Lake area is the best. If you have time, you might want to cut some of Yellowstone out and substitute the Grand Tetons to the south or with a bit more time Glacier Park to the north.

Old Apr 28th, 1997, 09:00 AM
lee

We love Yellowstone Park, and have enjoyed it in the summer and the winter. As far as lodging you might even consider staying in the small town of west yellowstone. There are nice motels and even a few pretty good places to eat. It is quite easy to get to the interesting parts of the park from west yellowstone. We stayed at the Comfort Inn last summer in w.yellowstone and it was clean, quiet and cost us about $140 a day. Had an enclosed pool. The StageCoachInn also looked real nice. We stayed in a Best Western this last winter and the rooms were also clean and of good size. Incidently at $140 a night the Comfort Inn was just about the most expensive, witht the other places going for around 65-70. There is an I-Max theatre in w.yellowstone as well as the grizzly museum. And if you have kids there are fast food places like McDonalds, and such. You will love the park and hope your trip is the greatest.
Lee
p.s. check the web as there is considerable info on lodging and such; just type "Yellowstone"

Old Apr 28th, 1997, 09:06 AM
Robert L Fischer

Our favorite spot in Yellowstone is around Mammouth Hot Springs; there are reasonably priced cabins and you can duck in and out of the part to Gardiner, Montana. There is a lot of wildlife in this region; we have seen grizzly!

Old Apr 28th, 1997, 04:43 PM
Jen

Over 15 years ago I lived and worked at Yellowstone. It is one of the beautiful places I have ever been. I lived in the Lake area, and it was magnificent. Cabins are available in this area. It is pretty rustic, and I am not sure what you are looking for. Right near the cabins also in the Lake area is a hotel that is quite pretty with gorgeous views of the lake. I would also recomment Mamoth and Old Faithful areas. Old faithful also has an Inn. The biggest thing is make reservations. They are booked through the summer so reservations is a must. Aside from where to stay. I disagree with the other response about staying away from the areas affected by fire. I lived there prior to a large fire, and returned afterwards preparing for the worst in my mind. What I found, was that nature is amazing at healing itself. It is quite an honor to be able to watch first hand what happens in nature when it is left alone. New growth springs quickly. Some of the pines in the area can only reproduce when their cones are heated by fire and burst to spread new seeds. Be sure if you feel comfortable, to hike into some of the trails. Although much can be seen by the roads, you will miss the magic if you don't take the opportunity to hike a bit if you can. Be careful for bears and other wildlife. The park rangers are great at preparing you with information on any length hike, and they know about the wildlife found in different areas of the park.